Western flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! I tried a few times to take a picture that showed how bad the repaint was on this bike but no luck, tried to remove the black paint and keep the original paint but it was mostly gone, bottom bracket and chain stays were mostly rust. I know that patina is the preferred finish here, but to me there's a difference between patina and a bad repaint over neglect and abuse so this bike needs paint
a4azuby6.jpg
old paint and rust removed, except for the darts, which I want to duplicate best I can. Did I mention that painting is my least favorite part of bike building?
u8enysup.jpg
I've already got a rusty bike and a bare metal bike so I'm thinking what's the next best rat finish? Yup red primer! Wish me luck and stay tuned....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liking the red primer idea very much. I did have a pic of a '28 A in red oxide offset with high gloss mid grey rims which looked pretty cool, see if I can find it.

Raining here all day, not good weather for painting :( but I decided on a seat
6apuhe8e.jpg
got this at the Hampshire bicycle exchange in Amherst , great shop, they buy, sell, trade and rebuild bikes, but most importantly they let you pick through their bins of old parts! I got this from the 5 dollar seat box :)
quvajave.jpg
I like the fake tuck and roll look. Also I think this guy needs to find his way onto the bike somewhere...
uvamusaz.jpg

Got a box from niagara cycles today with the solution to my bent rim problem...
ygy3y3yt.jpg
I didn't have a pair of painted drop center rims on anything, and this bike doesn't want chrome wheels so I poked around on the computer and found these
5y2u7u8e.jpg
it's a downhill mountain bike rim, double wall with spoke eyelets with a width and profile similar to the old drop center rims I took off, 34 bucks each and the goofy stickers peel right off
by2uja9u.jpg
I'm thinking some cream colored paint to match the frame darts and you'll hafta look close to tell they're not old :)

Well I won't bore you guys with pictures of me painting bike parts but I will share my method of painting rims in case it can help anyone out
vybu7ady.jpg
couple coat hangers through the spoke holes Nd tied in the middle, for me it's easier than hanging it and having to spray up. I hope to get everything primered today

Well I won't bore you guys with pictures of me painting bike parts but I will share my method of painting rims in case it can help anyone out
vybu7ady.jpg
couple coat hangers through the spoke holes Nd tied in the middle, for me it's easier than hanging it and having to spray up. I hope to get everything primered today

nice tip i hate painting rims hanging hadn't thought of doing it that way

Finished painting this afternoon, now to move on to the details, when I bought this bike last year one of the fender braces was broken off, just as I was about to place a want ad, yeshoney was parting out a CWC so I bought the fenders to get the brace
na3aqeja.jpg
but these were so much nicer I decided to use them instead
4uza2u9e.jpg
I'm just gonna give these a quick scuff with some 0000 steel wool and bolt them on as is, and for an added bonus, this awesome reflector that mine didn't have :)
dybu3y2y.jpg
next project; assemble some wheels...
tagavegu.jpg

I just came across this build thread. Too many bikes to keep up with in this build off. I'll watch this build as I like CWC's better than any other bikes. My build off entry last year, Coppertooth, on this month's calendar, was very similar to yours, sprocket is different. Mine was a 46 or 47. The expert on CWC is rms37 I believe. Had the same design on the end of the fenders but the frame was sanded down and repainted years ago on mine. My serial started with a J then 5 digits, and had the original front wheel, but it wasn't blacked out. I think the blackout hubs were only used during the war years, 41-45.

Latest posts

Back