Western flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta hang out with mom tomorrow so I'm gonna try to get a bit of work done today, took the guts out of the hubs..
u2usuqy2.jpg
and into a bucket to soak in some simple green for a day or two. Everything looks pretty good, unlike the rims
puqebyhy.jpg
and the spokes which are loose and rusty, and several are bent. Time to disassemble some wheels...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..which brings us to the first ( of several??) setback of this build, both rims have a distinct Pringles shape, gonna check the shed to see if any of my other bikes has a set of rims to donate to this project, if not I'm going shopping , stay tuned...

Picked up these awesome pedal blocks from Schwinnray69 tonight, thanks Nick!
5upyzu9y.jpg
they fit perfect on some crusty old Wald pedals, Permatex rust treatment gives the metal parts a black finish that looks kinda weathered without being shiny or uniform like paint, should go well with the overall semi- ratness of this bike

Last year I used some brick red blocks like that. If you need to "age" the blocks at all, just randomly apply any darkish minwax stain.

Thanks! Tonight I put the crank back in dry to test fit some chain guards. I bought this one with this bike in mind...
jubuhy9a.jpg
but I need to make a rear mount. This was another swap meet find
e4yjyjag.jpg
then there's this one I bought here :) kinda bulky but its a fat fender fat tire bike
zutabede.jpg
I know which one I'm leaning toward but opinions are always welcome and maybe someone will notice something I missed.... Also if any of these are rare or valuable let me know before I hack it up to fit this bike:)

Like the 1st one...drop it and chop it close & tight to the front & rear sprockets no matter what guard you use. 3rd one gets 2nd:showingbiceps:..

Last edited:
Those are some good looking pedals! :D
I personally like the third guard the best.

Number 3, complements the frame.

Thank you all for the input, gotta stare at it some more while I scrub coaster brake parts :)

no 3, for sure :thumbsup:

The weather monkey said it was gonna rain Saturday so u got up early planning to do my chores then work on the bike all afternoon but when I got up it was sunny and beautiful out so I went for a ride instead :) I've been thinking this bike needs truss rods so I stopped by the Dudley swap meet Sunday with the mission to find a set, got some for a great price but they were a bit too long
yzazuzut.jpg
so I stared at it for a while then figured out if I just slid them further through the bracket it would work
a4yja2up.jpg
thread pitch gauge says 24 TPI so thread it a bit further...
uhu4ahym.jpg
and test fit it
e2y6eqy7.jpg
looks ok so cut the end off
vesu6ahe.jpg
curve still looks good
u2u3a4u7.jpg
(ignore the spaceliner wheel, just needed something with an axle to hold the bottom) repeat above steps for the other side and we have truss rods
a2e7amah.jpg

Struts look nice! They compliment the fender stays/fender nicley. I have to trim my struts down as well, but I don't have a threader. Probably gonna have to trim them some other way.

Back