Walmart FatBikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the red one today too. I plan on making a muscle bike from it. I have wanted one for some time now. I know it won't be a Moonlander but it will be a Koolander

Well, per the Mrs., 'Big Red' has landed!
Now, gotta find a way to sneak outta the office early so I can put it together.

Anyone have any advice for scrubbing the crud of of old yellow BMX grips, other than warm water, dish soap and a brush? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Probably should have done some prep work,huh? :mrgreen:

Just for giggles and to rationalize my purchase (beyond the fun factor) I went to only US site I know of for 'Fat' wheels, hubs, etc..Choppersus.com

The comparison is not meant to be a slam on Choppersus, I love those guys, they've always been great to work with and are the best source I've found for a lot of the oversize parts that attract me.

So, without further ado, let's say I hate this bike as is, so what parts did I buy? With the cranks/stem/handlebars/seat being 'common' items, I focused my mis-spent energy on the wheelset (the true reason for the purchase). Due the the limited market for these wide parts, I made some assumptions (yes, I know the joke about assuming) that Walmart sourced products of fairly equal value. If there was a choice, I went with the cheapest option.

Parts list with non-shipped pricing.

2 - 26 x 4 rims - silver..............2 x $89.99 = $179.98
2 - 26 x 4.25 tires (Devist8er) ....2 x $49.99 = $99.98
2 - 26 x 4 tubes......................2 x $17.99 = $35.98
2 - 26 x 80mm rim strips...........2 x $7.99 = $15.98
1 - wide front hub........................$19.99
1 - wide CB rear hub.....................$29.99
TOTAL:............................................$381.90 + shipping + spokes/nipples + labor to build

So, by my twisted calculations, I'm buying a ~$400 wheelset for $200 with a free frame that I can cut up to make a fat chopper when the novelty wears off.

Pics soon.
Dr. T

Here is the Red ..No Orange tint to it at all.... :mrgreen:

DSC01237.jpg

The red looks sharp too.

Looks like I should have chosen the home delivery option. I picked the store delivery because I had a biz trip this week and another next week. It was shipped Monday, but still hasn't arrived at Walmart. I even stopped off to see on my way home from the airport. The girl said that shipments take anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks. :shock:

Lowlife Lucas said:
I want one of these with some gnarly mud tires and some bmx bars wirh some type of different seat :lol:

I threw 'Big Red' together tonight w/BMX bars...just for you LL.... :wink:
DSCF3785_zps66b29de4.jpg

The red finish is satin like the green.
DSCF3782_zpsfe639c29.jpg

I like that the fork looks 'normal' and doesn't bow out and back in like some of the other ones I've seen.
DSCF3784_zpsc36c96ea.jpg

This is gonna be fun to play around with.

Cheers,
Dr. T

This isn't fair! I was one of the first guys to order, and I haven't received my toy yet!!! :x
I guess I will just have to watch you guys have fun with these!

kingfish254 said:
This isn't fair! I was one of the first guys to order, and I haven't received my toy yet!!! :x
I guess I will just have to watch you guys have fun with these!

Don't you have like 3 sheds full of parts to play with in the meantime?? :mrgreen:

That guy's photo on Ebay was goofy anyway. He obviously shot that with a 40 watt "soft white" incandescent bulb glowing somewhere. :lol:

Everything in that shot had a yellowish tint to it.

Good to see some shots of the red in daylight...it does look sweet!

Now if these just came with a 3 speed from the factory...

After seeing all these pics I really want one! I live at the beach so it would actually be practic. al. I'm pretty sure my wife would have an aneurism if I brought home another bike. Especially since I just picked up a 54 Roadmaster this week.

5speed said:
a friend called and orderd a blue one cause the red one, is now sold out

Soon these will be collectable and worth as much as a Pugsley. :lol:

5speed said:
a friend called and orderd a blue one cause the red one, is now sold out

That's weird, I was just able to order a red one. I have been holding off on ordering it because I'll be out of town and I didn't want it sitting on my porch. With my luck, it will probably be like the Felt tire deal where everybody ordered them but the computer system wasn't updating the quantities on hand because it was the weekend. All I ended up with was disappointment and a T-shirt.

Back