Violet Varsity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I had a window of opportunity today while everyone napped.

Threw on some 26 x 1.5 tires and a new chain. The wheel set are off of a 2006 Schwinn SS Cruiser.

This bike is rock solid and VERY fun to ride, very fast!

The 20 tooth sprocket out back makes it easy to pedal.

Grape Ape..Grape Ape!

100_6468.jpg

100_6472.jpg

100_6464.jpg

great work steve!
thats a nice lookin bike
i may have an oppertinutity to get one of those but in a 5 spped for 15 bucks

WOW Steve,I'd a never thunk a Springer would 'work' on a diamond frame...

THAT Looks Great!

Here she is minus the springer and some different bars and grips.

This bike is solid and silent....very fun to goof around on.

100_6473.jpg

100_6474.jpg

100_6477.jpg

100_6478.jpg

100_6480.jpg

hmmmmmmmmm.....do i sense another diamond frame build off in the future :wink:
looks good!now.......how do you get the wife to let you keep all these?!?!? im gonna get the boot soon :shock: (ive only got 3 ridable and 2 90%ers)

I try to rotate them all. There are only 3 or 4 that are really keepers...the rest are subject to change.

Also, when my wife sees me buy an old 80s BMX for peanuts and sell it for $400 she really appreciates the hobby.

Every bit of that money went straight into the household budget too. :D

hmmmmmm........THATS my problem then! the ones i buy are all keepers.......good idea on the rotation though!!! guess ill just have to curtail the buying of more for awhile :roll:

Rat Rod said:
Also, when my wife sees me buy an old 80s BMX for peanuts and sell it for $400 she really appreciates the hobby.
Every bit of that money went straight into the household budget too. :D

That keeps you in good graces. I did the same with a Grey Ghost project bike. I would like to see a Varstiy turned into a mountain bike-like Schwinn's first ones.

ooooh ooooooh can we have a diamond frame build off! :p :p

i missed the last build offs.... man looking at this bike makes me want to dismantle my 10 speed....

That bike looks like it can fly!

I plan to come up with a more sleek looking seat and a few other odds and ends.

Stay tuned!

Rat Rod said:
Here she is minus the springer and some different bars and grips.

This bike is solid and silent....very fun to goof around on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi-ho Rat,
I made a very similar comment about the "Not-So" after getting done with it. It remains a favorite as it is comfortable, quiet and FAST!
You know this color is right up my alley! Go back to the Diamond Frame Build-off to see.....
I like how this is coming out! :mrgreen:

I still have the other frame I bought (and a few more) sitting here staring at me. I need to get my rear in gear! You are making me want to get something moving here... NEXXXXXXT!

Lets see....
1 continental
1 sprint
1 camelback varsity
1 varsity (oddly enough.. it too is purple!)
1 b-6 (could be a Not-So-Phantom)
3 more curved bar DX's (one will need extensive work on the rear section, or possibly a donor section...perhaps even a new home.)
and last, but certainly not least
1 mid teens "Flyer" frame. (gotta think on this one for a while..)

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

This build is a-niiiice-a. I'm really digging it. It's got just the right spice to it....mmmmmm.

I'm game for a diamond frame build off. I just picked up a BCA Citicross on the side of the road that I want to put a fixed gear or a 1 spd freewheel on. I still need to take some pictures. It is too cold right now.

Back