TRADITIONAL It's SUPER ELLIOT!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freewheel restored.

I just bought a new one of those, chinese made of course but don't have a plan for it, I just like the 3 speed cluster.
cluster.jpg

Dave, I'm hooked on your video updates! Ol' OJ gonna have to step up his game. :bigsmile:

I like your process of using similar mechs to be used to restore others, parts swapping, etc. We grew up that way on the farm, my grandpa was always saving mechanical parts to tractors to keep the others going. I was his 'right hand boy', squatting patiently next to him like a human parts tray with arms, handing him what he needed, when he needed it.

I enjoyed your videos OJ.

Man, my upbringing was very different to growing up on a farm. Father was a successful dentist, and I grew up in upper-middle-nice parts of urban Sydney NSW.

He was a Holden car enthusiast had all the top of the range Chevy powered units - and he turned them over regularly. Never saw him working on one. Surgeon's hands. But he had the coin and all the sizzle - and he died young.

Grandfather stepped in and he was a big-time engineer and cycling enthusiast in his youth - he provided my bicycles - and first motorcycles at a very young age - keeping his joy of riding alive vicariously. I always had new stuff.

I don't think it's a connection to those halcyon days that fuels my interest in restoring old bikes. I think it's mostly that I get cheap thrills from riding them. And the fitness thing. I've already significantly outlived the old man. And have pedalled myself into great shape for my 65th Birthday on Tuesday.

The resto-processes - well I have a Ph.D in You Tube and advanced Google. Plus this place has taught me much. The rest I make up as I go.

We took different paths to the same place hobby-wise hey?

Last edited:
Always wanted to build up a 3 wheeler but the thought of carrying one downstairs to my workshop hurts my old back. Looking forward to see how this build goes.

Elliot Goblet was a comic on Aus TV in the 80s and 90s.

Perfectly PC too, unlike much I thought funny back then, but now ...

The show was top rating staple variety schlock.
In this bit he starts strong, loses them and then partially recovers in the end.
Much longer spot than the gold in the act.
Even so - halcyon days, and I can't say Super Elliott without thinking of this man's mug.

I can't embed it - but here''s a link on You Tube:

I use evapo-rust. It is likely very similar to metal rescue. It works much faster if you can heat it up. I have a heated Ultrasonic. I usually put small parts into a peanut butter jar with evapo-rust and float it in the hot water in the ultrasonic.

That does look like a Raleigh fork. I am guessing it is just a design copy. I have seen the same design on my Chinese flying pigeon.

If it is Raleigh built, it will have whitworth threading. 26tpi vs the standard 24tpi. Same with the bottom bracket. If this is the case you will need to re-use the existing headset and BB. It’s worth checking, just to be sure.

I use evapo-rust. It is likely very similar to metal rescue. It works much faster if you can heat it up. I have a heated Ultrasonic. I usually put small parts into a peanut butter jar with evapo-rust and float it in the hot water in the ultrasonic.

That does look like a Raleigh fork. I am guessing it is just a design copy. I have seen the same design on my Chinese flying pigeon.

If it is Raleigh built, it will have whitworth threading. 26tpi vs the standard 24tpi. Same with the bottom bracket. If this is the case you will need to re-use the existing headset and BB. It’s worth checking, just to be sure.
It looks like Raleigh dropouts in the rear

I enjoyed your videos OJ.

Man, my upbringing was very different to growing up on a farm. Father was a successful dentist, and I grew up in upper-middle-nice parts of urban Sydney NSW.

He was a Holden car enthusiast had all the top of the range Chevy powered units - and he turned them over regularly. Never saw him working on one. Surgeon's hands. But he had the coin and all the sizzle - and he died young.

Grandfather stepped in and he was a big-time engineer and cycling enthusiast in his youth - he provided my bicycles - and first motorcycles at a very young age - keeping his joy of riding alive vicariously. I always had new stuff.

I don't think it's a connection to those halcyon days that fuels my interest in restoring old bikes. I think it's mostly that I get cheap thrills from riding them. And the fitness thing. I've already significantly outlived the old man. And have pedalled myself into great shape for my 65th Birthday on Tuesday.

The resto-processes - well I have a Ph.D in You Tube and advanced Google. Plus this place has taught me much. The rest I make up as I go.

We took different paths to the same place hobby-wise hey?

birthday.jpg

Wow, you've been very busy. It was fun catching up on your progress. Great details in your work.
The video updates are great, but you may want to throw in a few progress photos into your posts as well. Sometimes peoples net connection doesn't play nicely with videos, and/or viewers may only have time for a scroll through.

Back