Tracker tribute

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably my iPad, it’s old. But strangely I only have a problem on RRB.
Yep that's what it is... I had the same issue years ago, with RRb and cad. My pc was old, and then went kaput.

Yep that's what it is... I had the same issue years ago, with RRb and cad. My pc was old, and then went kaput.
I’m really nursing mine along. The charging port is worn out so if it charges it seems to depend on something mysterious, like the moon phase. It’s been like this for over a year.

I’ve made no progress. December 1 I had a mini stroke, couldn’t talk. In the hospital for 3 days. Then I caught hospital acquired bacterial pneumonia and was back in the hospital for 11 days. I’m now living with relatives for a few months as I recover. No tools or parts here. I might see if I can build the wheels at my temporary home.

I’ve made no progress. December 1 I had a mini stroke, couldn’t talk. In the hospital for 3 days. Then I caught hospital acquired bacterial pneumonia and was back in the hospital for 11 days. I’m now living with relatives for a few months as I recover. No tools or parts here. I might see if I can build the wheels at my temporary home.
Health comes first. Everything else can wait

Speedy recovery!

O m G . . . And here I’m feeling unhappy for myself just because rain keeps me from welding.

Nothing else matters now except recovery and keeping your mind positive. If you can’t work on the bike, at least grab a pencil and keep planning.

Best wishes and regards.

.... And here I am feeling unhappy for myself just because snow keeps me in the city and I cannot visit my farm to resupply on missing parts.

I had something similar a couple of years ago, and it took months to get back to feeling anything like I felt before, which was a bit annoying.

Definitely get healthy soon. The build will be there. I know how it is being forced to not work on projects due to health reasons, not too fun, but it passes.

Today I messed around with my SA model AW drum brake 3 speed hub. I took out both spacers, used two 3/32 dished cogs, put the big cog dish facing the spokes and the small dished cog facing away from the spokes. I used 16x23 teeth. The snap ring fits perfectly.
IMG_0008.jpeg

I have welded a steel mounting plate to the drive side drop. Now I have to make a small V out of tubing for a rear derailleur mount as the Huret derailleur is short.
IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_4487.jpeg
I‘m going to try and use this old Huret rear derailleur and this old Simplex friction shifter. I don’t know if any of this will work.
IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_0010.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I messed around with my SA model AW drum brake 3 speed hub. I took out both spacers, used two 3/32 dished cogs, put the big cog dish facing the spokes and the small dished cog facing away from the spokes. The snap ring fits perfectly.View attachment 257606
I have welded a steel mounting plate to the drive side chainstay. Now I have to make a small V out of tubing for a rear derailleur mount as the Huret derailleur is short. View attachment 257607I‘m going to try and use this old Huret rear derailleur and this old Simplex friction shifter. I don’t know if any of this will work.View attachment 257613
View attachment 257611
Your back home ?

I used an old cable with a lead head, lead head in a nipple, nipple with lead head in a rim hole, stretched across to the opposite hole, inserted another nipple, made a mark with a permanent marker on the cable at the nipple top and stretched the cable across a piece of cardboard, put marks from the lead head to my permanent marker spot and measured the distance, in mm, to get my ERD. I used a geometry compass with a pencil taken from my son in law’s carpentry work bench to measure the hub hole to opposite hole distance for the hub diameter, used a small metal ruler that I eyeballed a perpendicular drop to cardboard on both sides of the hub, marked the eyeballed spots, measured that distance to appropriate the OLD. It’s all I could find at my in-laws to get the measurements for the spoke length. Unfortunately you won’t know if you hit until the wheel is built. It’s half done.
image.jpg

I was lucky, my jury rigged measurements were right. The wheel is spoked.., but not trued. My truing stand and spoke wrenches are at our house and we’re not living there now. I used a slotted screwdriver to get the nipples snug, but not tight. Drives me nuts that it takes so long to do something that at home I could do in a few hours, instead of days.
image.jpg

I’m going to wait to measure the rear hub to determine spoke length until we go to our house where my calipers are. The rear hub has two different flange sizes and I don’t want to guesstimate.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome hub! Does it use a derailleur?
I’m going to try to see if I can get a derailleur to work. It’s a Stumy Archer Three speed internally geared drum brake hub. I removed both cog spacers and put on a dished 23 tooth 3/32 cog, teeth inward, on first, then a 16 tooth 3/32 dished cog teeth outward. Since it’s not a coaster brake a derailleur might work. So, if it works it will be a 6 speed. There is 3/16 inch between cogs. More than 3/32 but less than 1/4 inch. I plan to try a 3/32 chain as that will work with a derailleur. It’s all experimental.

how about those levers that they used to change gears with on early 1900s TdF race bikes? That would be epic.

Back