Too much sillyness ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with CeeBee and Funky. I did NOT even look at the buildoffs that were high paged entries. I looked at the short reply builds, and voted on my favs out of them. I have only been here less than a year,and surf here nightly. Often. But also frequent 2 motorcycle forums,facebook,and other stuff. I appreciate this site, its #1 to me. But I didnt vote for the bikes with rediculous 65 paages in their builds. They were ALL great. I felt close to dogdarts build, as I know of his health/knee problems, along with the lack of money. Bravo to ya all! and Thanks,Steve for a great site!

Scanned thru my entire build, just one bunny put there by me. I probably was frustrated by the heat! And one as a final shoutout and thread bump in "Finished Builds". That's not too much silliness is it?
I kinda' wish I knew this was an issue earlier. Seems like there was a fair amount of people turned off by that stuff.

But to play Devils advocate, must of us are not doing this to win. So having fun with the contest is all they/we have.

I hope we can strike a balance next time around.

Yeah, part of the Rat Rod "lifestyle" is being kinda laid back, I guess. At least for me it is. There's just so many cool folks (and talented builders) here, even with the "Great Bunny Invasion of 2012" I will stick around, cause well, I love Rat Rod bikes.

feeling a little guilty. Why, you ask? Because I didn't really know who anyone was who was doing the extra posting and silliness. Why should this matter? I got an enormous apology pm from one person. It was well written and very heart felt. I accepted his apology and asked that he not let anything said here get to him. This is only a website, and should not be taken too seriously.

I'm new here and am just getting started on my first build. But I can tell you that I followed RRBBO#7 with great interest. However, in the efficiency of time, I usually skimmed over posts that weren't updates from the builder themselves. I understood the reasoning behind "The Bunnies", and thought it was a clever way to keep members focused on keeping the rest of us updated. The build itself, after all, is just as much of the coolness as the finished product itself.

dogdart said:
If you want more stodginess , the The Cabe http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/forum.php , The custom bike topic on they're forum barely gets read . Do some people take it a little far here on Rat Rod Bikes , Maybe , but that's part of the fun .

Stodginess? I beg to differ:

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/forumdispl ... Break-Room

Sometimes we get into scientifical stuff like ichthyology, and sea anemones, and clownfish. Now, read the clownfish thread, and tell me if you find a humorous post or two.

JWM

Some of this comes with having done a lot of builds on RRB. Now when you see someone say
I'm new here and how do I take off my crank....It makes you wonder why they didn't read the how to section.
In reality I think everybody want to be a part of this, however simple they do it. I use to hate when someone
said they just rebuilt their bike and they had changed the grips and took off the fenders. As new members
join, they may post stuff that they think is interesting. It may not be what your use to. Really this place has
never been about total seriousness. The difference is you knew who was posting and kinda what their style was.
Out of the thousands of members, there are a lots of talented ones that have moved on to other things. I can
remember thinking a young fat boy standing in a refrigerator where the cokes are was kinda silly and had nothing to
do with bikes. There are still lots of really cool bikes being built here and a little silliness probably won't kill any
of us. :wink:

I am the person that Skip is referring to. Here is my public version of my apology.

There is a pretty constant "positive" vibe here on RRB, so I know when I see some people getting so ticked off that they post their complaints, then it probably means there are more silent people that feel similarly.

I want you all to know that I genuinely apologize for a lot of what I did during BO7 that turned off some people. I have been following this thread from its start and have been taking a lot of the comments to heart!!! I just wish someone had sent me a PM during the BO instead of having to see how bothered a lot of people were at the very end.

First off, I agree that the bunnies were a bad idea. I didn't start them, but I was a culprit of using them as much or more than most in the name of "making it fun", but looking back now there were times when it became more of a farce than fun.

Second, I was WAY overzealous with my postings. I didn't do it for recognition, I truly followed practically every step of every build and then became OBSESSED with being the BO7 Supporter. Again, looking back now, it is pretty easy to see, but I was just too caught up in it during BO7. I had very good intentions, but again to EXCESS! I could have been just as supportive without so MANY posts.

Third, while I do think the back page bumps for encouragement were a good thing, I did them to excess and used the bunnies. One or two a day is fine, but 5-10 in a row, ridiculous!!!! I also think that page bumps for the sole reason of bumping were not good.

I hope this helps to heal any bad feelings any one has towards the sillyness or overposting in BO7.

I don't pretend to talk for anyone but myself and I am not condemning the fun that was had during this build off. There just needs to be a BALANCE struck.

And now for one more piece of sillyness that I think all can get a kick out of. In the BO7 Prize Pot, some of the prizes that I donated were some SouthPark Chess pieces to be used for valve caps. The Queen pieces were promised to any Drama Queens that emerged. Well I believe that many of my actions (well intended or not) caused more drama than was needed in this build off.

For that reason I am awarding myself one of the Drama Queen Prizes.

The other is going to the Bunnies in general for similar reasons. The repercussions of the bunnies just caused too much drama.

WP_000947.jpg

i think some people take this bike building site to serious i mean for real .. cause there are bunnies posted in threads you dropp out the build off??? I thought we were all grown ups here just say DONT POST BUNNIES IN MY THREAD... :roll: i mean i dropped out of the build off cause I simply did not have the time to finish the bike.... this is a cool place to kick back and get away from REAL LIFE... and then you come here and take a bicycle forum seriouse i mean dont get me wrong this place is not a joke at all.. but then again its a place to escape life and be kinda of a kid.... i get the over posting and just pages and pages of convo on some of the build threads but then again if you dont like it dont post on it or go into the thread... i like the site but i see alot of grown men belly aching over none sense how some one spells posting bunnies to much talking.. but then again if you post nothing but pics people you get mad cause others just troll around looking at the pics thats my 2 cents and you can take it to the bank... wish i had a bunnie to post right now :shock: .... THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE PEOPLE just a fun a place to show off your bikes i mean theres thousands of memebers so a few that dont come back wont be missed i think...
not trying to offend any one at all just wanted to comment on the topic and if i did offend some one.. well thats life it aint always a box chocolate's..
Jay

I guess the way I see it is that we're all different. Some people are silly and others are stuffy and boring. I think it shows in the real world and in forums. I'm cool with pretty much anyone. I figure if I don't like something, I'll look past it and move on. I am not the complaining type. It's just not a huge deal to me. I thought some threads had more fluff than others, but all in all there were some tremendous bikes built by some amazing builders. So what if some are a little eccentric and have a bad case of ADD? :lol:

As far as me personally? I feel I contributed good information, I shared my build (14 pages!), I read each and every build thread, had a lot of fun and I built a killer bike. No complaining or apologies here.

See Clancy I knew you have total recall. :lol: Thats the picture. One thing Steve always tells me
because I always take this stuff too serious .....Its just a bike website. Really its just
about having fun building bikes. :wink:

kingfish, you are too hard on yourself.

lots of people got fun and frolic out of your posts, maybe too many of them, maybe not.

move on, keep posting when you feel like it.

I for one appreciated your replies and encouragement in my build thread.

jerrykr said:
kingfish, you are too hard on yourself.

lots of people got fun and frolic out of your posts, maybe too many of them, maybe not.

move on, keep posting when you feel like it.

I for one appreciated your replies and encouragement in my build thread.

Ditto!!!!

Latest posts

Back