Too much sillyness ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah...as with all things, there needs to be balance. :D

While I don't mind folks kidding around and stuff, there comes a point where it's distracting and starts to actually detract from the forum.

There are new people showing up here every day and I'd prefer that they find valuable info and stick around a while. :wink:

I don't think anybody is arguing for stodginess, just look at the first 5 years of BO threads members were having fun but they also kept them tight with information. This year we got everything from family vacation stories/pics etc to threads being spammed with bunnies. At first the bunnies were somewhat amusing but after about 150 times opening what I though might be an update and just seeing bunnies it wore pretty thin. Towards the end I stopped reading build threads unless the builder posted something, even then it was in response to bunnies a fair amount of the time. So no longer much fun as active threads you were tracking would get moved 3 pages back.

I had full intentions of entering the build-off this year, but I soon grew tired of someone commenting on every single post, to just see there name on the screen. So I built my bike and am happy. Just wish some parents paid more attention to their kids when they were little, so they dont have to be the center of attention now.

Tim

Rat Rod said:
Yeah...as with all things, there needs to be balance. :D

While I don't mind folks kidding around and stuff, there comes a point where it's distracting and starts to actually detract from the forum.

There are new people showing up here every day and I'd prefer that they find valuable info and stick around a while. :wink:

+100000000

way too many bloated build threads and unnecessary bumping of build threads. i really found it amusing that people would actually panic when their thread would get close to getting bumped back to "page 2"! :lol: next year when any bunnies set foot on my page 3 "unabomber shack", they will become dinner! :wink:

CeeBee said:
... I tried to follow some of the build-off builds in the beginning, then it got to a point where I would go to the last page of a build, look for actual build related matter-nothing at all. I would go back 3 pages, look for build related matter-nothing, skip back 3 more pages-nothing, etc. etc. After a couple of times of this I just threw it in....

You raise a good point, I found myself not following much in the build off this year. Sure, as always there are many cool builds, but the build off is about more than the gallery pic. I think the thread is as important as the bike, and a lack of a cogent thread is as much a voting deal breaker for me as a chinese coaster brake... :wink:

Forgive my ignorance. I've been here awhile and still don't understand...What's with the bunnies? I see that they are present on BO threads in some voting capacity. But why? What's the original meaning and why did it get so out of hand?

I must be getting old because I agree with all this. I never participate in build offs because I don't think I'm worthy and I can never make a deadline with my schedule. But I have always followed,until this year.

It seemed like there were only one or two entries with all the comments. I couldnt find the meat.

Sad for me because when I looked at the finished bikes there were some good friends in the build off and I didn't know it.

No one could keep me from stopping by but I have been here less frequently until my recent building burst of energy that is. So perhaps I am just not "in" on the jokes.

agreed... more meat please, less fluff.

to me it's not just the sillyness, cuz occasional sillyness is nice, but it's the over abundant posting. I see pages with 15 replies, and 10 are the OP's. Doesn't tasteful posting practice dictate editing a previous reply, rather than replying over and over over (to yourself essentially)?

i agree with ceebee on this! ive been a "fairly active" member on here until recently. i just kind of stepped away from it because i got on here to have a good time and it was hard to do with all the threadstealing overactivity! i'll always be a supporter and follower. i just had to step back for a while.

I'm kinda new here too.

CeeBee, you had a great build going. I saw nothing but praise and suggestions on it. There was one bunny post. Then you gave up.

I had one bunny related post on my thread, but kept building. I read EVERY thread, and just skipped past the bunnies.

Suffer the children, it's about patience and tolerance.

Good luck to all, and it's all material and short lived, Rg

Too much of this...

general.jpg

can get kind of distracting, a little bit goes a long ways. But yeah... it seems to be some kind of contest to see who can keep their thread at the top, nevermind the content.

I didn't participate in the build, but I did vote. I couldnt tell you if the bikes I voted for had a decent build thread or not... who has the time to go sift thru pages and pages of fluff?

CeeBee said:
I had no problems with anything said about my build. My point is just trying to follow other builds and threads in general.

I apologize, I mis-read your post.

I will agree that I'm a visual guy and like to see the pictures posted and read things that will help me on my builds. The other stuff, joking around, bunny pics, etc. can get frustrating when you are interested in a build and think it's been updated and it hasn't. But all in all, it's a small price to pay to be able to be a part of a great site like this.

We're all different, and it's tough to be a bike lover in this motor driven world. I just hate to make anyone feel they aren't welcome here in anyway.

Ratfink, if you didn't read the build threads you missed out on a lot.

Thanks, Rg

ozzmonaut said:
Forgive my ignorance. I've been here awhile and still don't understand...What's with the bunnies? I see that they are present on BO threads in some voting capacity. But why? What's the original meaning and why did it get so out of hand?

As I recall it came out of the Build #7 Discussion thread, maybe like page 20 if you dare read it. But I warn you, if you choose to read you'll feel the IQ points rolling off! :roll: Just skim thru til you see the first bunny, basic idea I believe was a "funny" way to bump your own thread and someone else's I believe just for the pure sake of bumping it to page 1.

Better to just watch yoothgyes parody hitler rant video of the build off instead, it explains the bunnies much better

http://youtu.be/xdybgG8ISwY

Steve, is it too late to rig the poll? :D

I've been here for a few years, this was my second build-off (first was RRBBO4).

I like silliness, usually. Doesn't bother me. I do get frustrated scrolling through build threads looking for updates, but like some guys, I change the title of the thread when I actually update it. Simple solution.

This forum pales in comparison to the drama on most car-oriented boards I've been on. This is extremely tame. Steve has done a fantastic job keeping things civil, and I'm definitely not going anywhere. Not going to bother me if people post bunnies on my build thread, no offense to those it bothers. Just doesn't really bother me (not much does, really).

Latest posts

Back