Tiki Time! Update and lessons learned

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well this is a bike I promised to build for the Art of the Bike Exhibit in Ct, so I thought I'd better get started on it, and the Build-Off gave me much needed motivation.It's a beach cruiser with a Tiki Bar sidecar
Artist's rendition...
tikitime2.jpg

and it begins...
theprojectbegins.jpg

Setting up the frame. I moved the sidecar wheel forward a bit to give it a more realistic stance and to keep the bar somewhat rectangular
P4210189.jpg

P4210192.jpg

the framework completed but unpainted
P4210195.jpg

next comes the bar part... 8)

Re: TIki Time!

And now for the bar itself. Made the frame out of 1x2's and covered it with thin plywood.
P4220199.jpg

P4220200.jpg

I then used an old bamboo window shade as a veneer for the outside. My eagle eyed son found bamboo growing locally
so I cut some down, slotted it and attached it with some shiny copper strapping to the edge of the lid. A few coats of polyurothene
on the top, a couple of dollar store signs and Viola! A tiki bar.
Img_5334.jpg

Img_5331.jpg

Img_5332.jpg

I must add that i now have a new found respect and admiration for anyone that does carpentry for a living,
as well as a whole slew of splinters to keep me occupied..

next step, painting the bike. Till then...
Img_5333.jpg

Bigcam, I recognize that drawing (sans tiki theme) from one of my first bike books, "the Fantasic Bicycles Book"! Great one! :mrgreen: -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Bigcam, I recognize that drawing (sans tiki theme) from one of my first bike books, "the Fantasic Bicycles Book"! Great one! :mrgreen: -Adam
Good eye. That's the basis for the bike. I found the book in a children's library and phtocopied the sidecar part a long time ago, and now I'm just getting around to building one.
Anyhoo, progress continues. The fenders and chain guard get a fresh coat of paint.
ttfenders.jpg

Next, the frame...
ttp1.jpg

ttp2.jpg

That's not clutter...it's inspiration! 8)

spinman said:
Mr. and Mrs. George Tee-Kai beemed off the Enterprise (NCC-1701) to take a moment and say how much they enjoy your build! :mrgreen:

After George has a sword fight with his shirt off, he'd like to see this build competed before taking off where no man has gone before.

100_0445.jpg

Um, Spin, wouldn't that be Mr. & Mr.? :wink:

Love the fenders, this is about the only kind of bike where you can pull off that color.

Back