The Rose City Rocketeer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I still have to finish my patina rat rod Stingray stik-shift which is almost done, but I have already started on my newest project I'm gonna call the Rose City Rocketeer. I've always been a huge fan of the movie the Rocketeer and thought it would make a sick themed bike. Here is my first idea drawing, any ideas are always taken into consideration.
DSCF1407.jpg

I am wanting that style of chainguard as well as a springer front end, I would love to find any Harley Earl designed parts, especially forks but I am always up to some fab work to make what I want. If you have pics or parts post images. I am also going for the Rocketeer helmet look on the rear fender and I'm kind of liking my idea in the drawing but at the same time think it might look cool to just leave the fin alone. The tank is going to have to be custom with louvres and paint to make it look like his rocketpack. And something I thought about after my drawing, some teardrop pedals. Here is the frame I'm starting with, my still un-determined brand frame.
DSCF1401.jpg

More pics to come as I progress.
the_rocketeer.jpg

looks like a murray to me also,luv the ideas,luv the movie one of my favorites ! 8)

You should do the fin in a brass/copper kind of color similar to that of the helmet. That would really allow it to hearken back to the suit and helmet. You should also think about doing a leather seat and grips to match the leather color from his Jacket. It an awesome idea for a theme!

This is AWESOME!! I am definitely going to follow this build. You seem to be on a good path so far, I cant wait to see more!

jcsmith said:
You should do the fin in a brass/copper kind of color similar to that of the helmet. That would really allow it to hearken back to the suit and helmet. You should also think about doing a leather seat and grips to match the leather color from his Jacket. It an awesome idea for a theme!
That's exactly what I was going for. I found a paint, don't know how good, but it comes out as an antiqued brass finish for the fenders/fin. I already got a tan leather seat on the way, but now that you mention it, leather grips would be sick too. I am thinking a maroon/burgundy paint on the frame and a stainless steel or aluminum tank/rocket. Loving the leather grips idea though. thanks!

an update to the build. not too stoked on it though. still gotta make the fenders and the tank. Not really liking this model of springer fork, a beehive would be ideal with a tan leather Troxel or Persons saddle and a fully covered chainguard would be dialed!!! thinking cream "quick brick" tires too although my black US Royal Chain "chain link" by the United States Rubber Company look decent too. Thoughts? :?
DSCF1408.jpg

DSCF1410.jpg

the latest.....added the springer seat after a fabricated seatpost/seatpost clamp/seatguts combo, wheels off my 40s/50s girls bike recent find, cranks, bars and stem(not happy on these, still looking) and fabricated the mounts for the chainguard.......not as easy as I originally thought.
DSCF1453.jpg

DSCF1455.jpg

just thought I would share the progress. Here is a shot from my free upgrade cell phone.......batteries died in my digital camera so bare with me. Here is the beginning of the Rocketeer's helmet influenced rear fender. Gotta make brackets and apply some LAB-METAL (http://fastenal.com/web/products/detail ... 225&ucst=t) and it will be ready for paint. :D :D :D
GetAttachment-1aspx.jpg

rocketeer.jpg

450redrider said:
Don't forget the gum for the hole in the tank :D Love the way this is going keep up the great work definitely following this build
haha, totally forgot about the gum......might pass on that for the build though. :lol:

I wasn't happy with the way the fender was coming out so I gave it some extra support in the way of a aluminum wrapped from front to back and I didn't want any new parts on it so I took off the new schwinn wheels and worked on these oldies a bit. I am thinking of going against my drawing and just leaving the rear fin plaing without the lines where the Rocketeer's' mouth was. Ideas?
DSCF1860.jpg

DSCF1857.jpg

DSCF1856.jpg

DSCF1859.jpg

DSCF1858.jpg

these wheels came off my Cosmic Liner, I've been told they were Cleveland Welding but I am an expert by no means in their catalog. I will take a pic of the rear hub when it's grease free.

Back