The Lost Boy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 1.5 may look too skinny on the back. Although you could probably use it on the front with no issues on a fat/skinny tire combo. Those solid tires have been all the buzz lately. Got access to any insulated wire? A bit of red or yellow insulation trimmed off and stuck into a row of those holes would be a cool one off. I like the frame too.

Carl.

You haven't even built it yet, and it's already one of my favorites. I'm like you, no fabrication skills, and I never get many votes, but each new build teaches me something new, and every once in a while, someone comments on my cool bike. That's nice. And the pros on this site are very encouraging and supportive. This is so much more fun than golf. Can't wait to see you finished product.

Thank you very much sir. It's true about learning a thing or two for every new build. Also, the community is very encouraging and just to be able to compete along with the pros is an honor in itself.

That 1.5 may look too skinny on the back. Although you could probably use it on the front with no issues on a fat/skinny tire combo. Those solid tires have been all the buzz lately. Got access to any insulated wire? A bit of red or yellow insulation trimmed off and stuck into a row of those holes would be a cool one off. I like the frame too.

Carl.
That idea about the colored insulated wires is cool!

Did some stripping last weekend and here's the frame in all it's pitted glory! :)

IMG_20170508_144805_zpsllqzh5gp.jpg

IMG_20170508_144933_zpsnzb3wgvr.jpg

IMG_20170508_144842_zpsrffxpcbj.jpg

Looks cool!

The brazed joints and pitting makes me think it's older than your first assessment.

You could be right, I just wish there was an ID of some sort. But this definitely couldn't be later than the 80's (maybe not even the 70's because of the style). Without the ID I'm guessing this could be made locally or from somewhere here in Asia. The Philippines definitely made American-styled frames like the local brand Patria. I don't know if Taiwan, China or some South East Asian country did too at that time.

In real life, we try to stop the aging process. In bike build life, I'm all about advancing the aging process! :grin:

Nice work on the frame!

UPDATED: With the 4th variant, it actually looks good too. Thanks for the idea guys :thumbsup:

Limited by the color of the tires and rims (black), I still haven't decided on what combination to go for in regards to the color of the spokes and hubs. I'm just wondering if it matters to you guys or I'm just being a weirdo? :bigsmile:

Here's some mock-ups, handlebars would probably be chrome. I still don't know if it's going to be dropped, drag or low rise.

mock_tire_variants_zpsji2puhbk.jpg

Last edited:
I like the chrome hub and spokes. To me it's a nice contrast against the black rim....But hey, I'm kind of a weirdo.

I like the chrome hubs with black spokes, makes the hubs stand out more along with the crankset.

keep the rubber side down!

Great looking frame, bobbed fender, and RAT bolt!
I'm actually gonna be in your city on vacation in about 11 days. I'm hoping to meet up with some of my Manila bike friends.

Back