the I'll show you OFF TOPIC bike thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool.

How many tooth sprocket is on that ?
64 I believe. It's pretty big 😁 I've used them before, Harlequin my favorite bike, wears an older one. Same size bigger holes...
Screenshot_20230819-071828-663.png

Harlequin needs a new pic tho. She now has a 3 speed coaster rim to mate up to the big sprocket with a modified shifter on the column for that "3 on the tree" look and I ditched the exhaust tube wifi sound system. Honestly the old Huffy Daisy tandem frames flex a bit but Harlequin is a solid bike, surviving a crash when the steering wheel head bolt stripped off. (Imagine a loose steering wheel in your hands at speed!) If I could only have one bike of the bunch I've rebuilt, it'd be her.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder, how a real bike would behave with a weighted exerciser front (or rear) wheel...:wondering:
Earliest XR's had hard rubber wheels eventually evolving with black plastic covers. The resistance is applied on all of them via felt brake pads on the rim. So it'd ride terrible on the hard rubber. XR7 and XR8 have the weighted wheels with a rubber strip of trim on the edge and the same resistance system. You might get a bit of flywheel effect but they'd ride terrible and brake even worse. But they're pretty easy to find, try it!

Earliest XR's had hard rubber wheels eventually evolving with black plastic covers. The resistance is applied on all of them via felt brake pads on the rim. So it'd ride terrible on the hard rubber. XR7 and XR8 have the weighted wheels with a rubber strip of trim on the edge and the same resistance system. You might get a bit of flywheel effect but they'd ride terrible and brake even worse.
Might it be possible to mount a standard tire?
Or on another thought, maybe take of the weight parts and mount it on a similar size rear wheel?
But they're pretty easy to find, try it!
In the US maybe, but around here we have different ones without the nice sprockets...

Sometimes I wonder, how a real bike would behave with a weighted exerciser front (or rear) wheel...:wondering:

Well it’s easy to find out.

Fill your inner tubes 95% with water and then put some air pressure on top of it. It will still be squishy but the increase in inertia will be quite noticeable.

This does not damage the rubber and this is done in heavy equipment all the time to increase traction.

It will be easier to pop a weak tire when you hit things because you will hit harder.

Well it’s easy to find out.

Fill your inner tubes 95% with water and then put some air pressure on top of it. It will still be squishy but the increase in inertia will be quite noticeable.

This does not damage the rubber and this is done in heavy equipment all the time to increase traction.

It will be easier to pop a weak tire when you hit things because you will hit harder.
Now as you mention it, during my basic training as a military cyclist, we did exactly that with the bikes of our platoon leaders, but not 95% only around 15-30% :bandit::comando::dance2:

With Hillary coming in, its like the calm before the storm. Air barely moving. I brought in what I could, and stacked the rest to try to keep it from going all over the yard.
View attachment 246105
Don't have room for all inside. These will get.a.good washing.... o_O
View attachment 246104
Hope you get through it ok, how strong is your brick wall, is it reinforced etc, we had a 6 foot concrete block wall fall onto the neighbors driveway during an afternoon quickie storm, was solid for yrs, once fallen we saw no steel rods, no reinforcing anywhere, apparently it was the industry standard for block fencing between houses in the 1980's, when ours was built!~
its an eire feeling waiting for a storm of that magnitude, theres an old saying, "The calm before the storm"

90's today moved three loads each with a pair of little Rangers and one big load with a full size pickup. Dressers, a big sofa, 4 guitar rigs and about 30 guitars. I'm sleeping at the new casa tonight.

Hope you get through it ok, how strong is your brick wall, is it reinforced etc, we had a 6 foot concrete block wall fall onto the neighbors driveway during an afternoon quickie storm, was solid for yrs, once fallen we saw no steel rods, no reinforcing anywhere, apparently it was the industry standard for block fencing between houses in the 1980's, when ours was built!~
its an eire feeling waiting for a storm of that magnitude, theres an old saying, "The calm before the storm"
Im sure we will be ok. Worst case we lose some shingles or a tree.

The eye seems to have turned north. We will get all the stuff that follows the side overnight. Maybe a small twister or 3, but not tornado class Will see how bad it is in the morning. Starting to rain now.

The wall, Cinder block with solid filled and rebarred concrete block posts. Even cars hitting these walls only puts a hole where their bumpers/hood hit them and the surrounding block stays standing.

Much rain here has put the kibosh on any work at all. I spent today cleaning up and I smoked a brisket.
Light rain and wind overnight. Nothing of what they said would hit us.

I spent some of yesterday under the Dart. Reinstalled the Trans. Just have clutch linkage, shifter and driveline left and will be ready for a test drive next weekend.

90's today moved three loads each with a pair of little Rangers and one big load with a full size pickup. Dressers, a big sofa, 4 guitar rigs and about 30 guitars. I'm sleeping at the new casa tonight.
I hope the sleep in the new house was enjoyable. As much as I dislike moving, waking up in a new place that is yours is a great feeling.

Sometimes. When we moved to this house we slept here one night, and the next morning we went to my father’s funeral.

The USAF moved us around frequently. I learned to hate it a lot. It only took me 11 years to graduate from high school but I went to 12 different schools to get there.

If I ever move again it’s because they come to take me away.

52 and this was a burst repair from 5 yr ago! was told i could go back to full physical lifestyle but maybe my lifestyle wasnt normal LOL. I had a smaller one on the opposite side too so they did both, probably why im a bit sorer than 5 yr ago!,
Mate dont be concerned with this, its all too easy, ya wont feel a thing and almost 3 days later im on the mend. worst part of hernia repairs is the 5 week recovery, no lifting.

So what were your warning signs or how did you know? In essence what made you finally decide to go to the doctor and do something about it

48 here and not sure if I have one or not

I’m taking the don’t ask don’t tell approach 🤣

So what were your warning signs or how did you know?
I could feel the lump come back on the hernia I already had...the new one on the other side I saw one day in the shower, just noticed a small lump, with that one I did have the "tell tale" burning sensation , like 3 -4 months lead up, as it tries to break through the last layer of your lining, the slow tearing and stretching comes through as a burning feeling, not as in 3rd degree burns but just uncomfortable burning, it usually subsides a bit when you lay down for bed or just lay on ya back for a minute or two and everything falls back into place! that was my relief method, just lay back , its the standing for long periods that hurt them . until they get fixed, trust me its nothing at all, they put you out, ya wake up n go home!, its just the recovery, very boring LOL!

I could feel the lump come back on the hernia I already had...the new one on the other side I saw one day in the shower, just noticed a small lump, with that one I did have the "tell tale" burning sensation , like 3 -4 months lead up, as it tries to break through the last layer of your lining, the slow tearing and stretching comes through as a burning feeling, not as in 3rd degree burns but just uncomfortable burning, it usually subsides a bit when you lay down for bed or just lay on ya back for a minute or two and everything falls back into place! that was my relief method, just lay back , its the standing for long periods that hurt them . until they get fixed, trust me its nothing at all, they put you out, ya wake up n go home!, its just the recovery, very boring LOL!
Sounds about right

I guess it’s a good excuse to get me off work for awhile 🤣

Back