The B-2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B40.jpg

Why, that's a waaaaay fat bicycle you've got there...I'm lovin' it! Looking forward to seeing how you finish things with bars, paint, etc. :mrgreen:

"....What are you going to do for handlebars? Clip-ons maybe?..."

Don't know what clip-ons are :? Would like to know though.

I'd like to get some fat bars that match the frame OD (1.5"). I had an idea of getting 1.5" solid alum. stock and machining the middle to 7/8" to fit the strem, and leaving the rest 1.5". Then adding knurls to 5" on each end then giving each side a 30 dgeree bend or so. Might be too involved. Eric doesn't think solid alum. can be bent.

He thinks some 10" apes would look good.

I guess we'll see.

Spin

Clip-ons are sometimes referred to as 'cafe bars' they 'clip' onto the forks legs either at the top or even between the upper and lower crowns. Here's an eBay search for them:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=clip+on+handlebars&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Also, try searching this site for clip-on, there's several examples of bikes that run them (Phantom Menace, SALTFALTS, even flying PEGASUS are threads that I remember.) the Pegasus bike uses vintage bicycle road stems instead of actual motorcycle clip-ons. I think with the size/look you're going for, the motorcycle type would look 'phat'..

Cheers!
Dr. T

Karfer's Cycle truck that isn't a truck anymore has clipons. They look great on his bike and they look great on Cafe Racer motorcycles.

Is there a build thread on Kenny's bike? It looks like a 24" front wheel and a 20" rear is that correct? And is your front triangle 1.5" tubing? And what wall thickness are you using? I'm looking into building my first frame and I'm using both bikes as a reference. Thanks in advance

"I wanted it powder coated a dull silver color like the rims, but he felt the coating would be too thick to allow proper clearance for the triple trees. Plans are for him to spray the fork an industrial coating that'll match the rims."

Actually i provided those forks ( and framebuilding parts) to Eric
and
i just powdercoated another set of those 346 forks with a heavy industrial wrinkle powdercoat and they slid in with no problem...but eric know what he is doing and i would go the way the master framebuilder recommends

Eric got the drive train done up and took the B' for a spin. Said he couldn't stop riding her. :mrgreen:

Next challenge will be how to attach the 3 speed shifter. The shifter in the hub kit doesn;t come with the mounting bracket. The kit's intended to be used with the brazed-on bracket that Schwinn Sting-rays have. Some kinda plate will need to be fabed up or we'll have to go with a differnet shifter.

BB55.jpg

This is bad for me. I got a couple ideas....and the skills to carry them out. Killer build!

Back