The 1901 Mixte

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are cottered cranks still available in the Philippines? I know india still uses them
They still use them and have a good supply of BB and cranksets, mostly from China, some NOS. Everything I have is from China and sold through the shops here.

I picked up a larger wire brush and it made it go faster. After 2 and a half hours, I just have a few tight spaces to clean up, probably with the dremel.
13 Jun 23 brush.jpg

13 Jun 23 frame.jpg

I thought I might ID the frame by this bracket, but I haven't seen another like it.
13 May 23 bracket.jpg

Lugged frames look so good Especially if you paint them a Different color than the frame
I just got metallic copper paint that I plan on doing the lugs in, then leaving the rest bare metal. If the copper paint looks good enough I may do the handlebars and stem also. I had planned on faux wood on the rims, but the copper is also a consideration on those.
1686696655138.png

I just used my dremel to finish it up and am starting on the copper lugs. I'm making it look old, so it won't be shiny, like this 53 CWC was I did years ago:
72064_760d1419ec3a079c57376ec9b4fb5511.jpg

I'm going to clear coat it also, which will give it a duller appearance after awhile. It should have a weathered look.

The rims finally showed up. I'm going with faux copper rims to match the rest of the copper accents. I used my favorite spoke calculator to see how they would work out. I'm going to lace both wheels 4 cross patterned as the spokes are all 305mm and it calculates 303 and 302mm as 4 cross lengths. 3 Cross would be 296 and 294mm.
15 Jun 23 front wheel calc.jpg
15 Jun 23 rear wheel calc.jpg

https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator

The wheels are laced up and ready to go to the shop for truing. I will finish the copper paint afterward, so any scratches can be touched up before getting clear coated. I lubed up and adjusted the cones on both hubs.
16 Jun 23 spoked wheels.jpg

The new cottered bb went in easily, the frame's threads are like new. New cotterpins too.

16 Jun 23 crankset.jpg

The wheels go for truing tomorrow morning in conjunction with taking the wife out to breakfast. I scrounged up a seat post and found the handlebar stem was too large, but there's always one more in the parts pile. I checked the rear hub and it's only 3/4ths inch too narrow. The handlebars need cleaned up and I'll probably keep them chrome along with the stem.

16 Jun 23 mockup.jpg

This is shaping up nicely, WC! Can you add a jam nut on each side of the rear axle to dial it in?
Any bamboo / wood effects coming on this one? Faux wood grips perhaps? Or pedal blocks? :nod: :hi::inlove:

With a coaster hub, the brake arm needs to be in line with the stay to attach, or maybe I can put a bend in the arm to make it line up for the bracket. I'm just going to squeeze the frame ends together since it's just a little bit. The cog also must line up close to the stay so the chain line is good. I can reverse the cog to get a better chain alignment if needed, it's concave.
When I got the frame in 2020, it needed to be widened in the rear, as it was at the bottom of a scrap pile and the stays were bent together. That blue frame is a 24" and is rideable now, and the rusty bare frame became the Orange Crusher.
mixte.JPG

06 Jan 23 2.jpg

23 Apr 23 finish - Copy.jpg

I think copper is the predominant effect on this bike. I also have a pair of old looking black grips that will go good with the 1901 theme, so there probably won't be any bamboo or other wood additions as of right now.

The guys at the shop were more than happy to true the new wheels. I didn't think there would be any threads protruding, but they tighten those spokes very well.
They've upgraded the shop with their own grinding wheel to trim the spoke ends. The safety shield is a piece of cardboard. I guess the safety glasses were nowhere to be found.

I fit the tires and mounted the wheels. The front drops need straightened and it looks like the chain won't line up. I'll use the string method to get an idea of what's off.
17 jun 23 fork.jpg

17 Jun 23 chainline.jpg

With the 27" wheels, it's a much bigger bike than with the 26" it began as.
17 jun 23 mockup.jpg
08 Jun 23 Mixte.jpg

The guys at the shop were more than happy to true the new wheels. I didn't think there would be any threads protruding, but they tighten those spokes very well.
They've upgraded the shop with their own grinding wheel to trim the spoke ends. The safety shield is a piece of cardboard. I guess the safety glasses were nowhere to be found.

View attachment 237145

View attachment 237145
At least he was wearing proper footwear 🤣🤣🤣

You’re really starting to ‘roll the clock back’ on this one bud, it looks more ‘vintage’ everyday.
Keep up the transformation! 👊🏼
I might convert the chain wheel to skip tooth like I did with The Wright Special, by grinding off every other tooth.
17 Nov grind.jpg

Not the cog though, it wasn't that noticeable.

19 Nov skip - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back