Tandems... worth it or waste ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So im thinking of building a tandem, cant find a schwinn twinn and cant afford a schwinn mini twinn i want :roll: so i got some frames around that ive been thinking of making into a tandem. whats your opinion on them? do you use yours? or sit around alot? I got 20-25 bikes so theres always some sitting around im sure most of you know that story :) Im wanting to make it semi custom looking one so my ideas are:

1) kind of limo stretched cruiser looking but with a nanner seat on the rear and a stingray sized rear section, front crank kicked up front a bit like a limo cruiser to keep the rider lowish, although this may make it harder for 2 people to balance it?

2) Also been toying with making a mini twinn knock off apes nanner seat rear etc etc, so the gf and I can use it but my niece and nephew would prob get a kick out of it also (when the nephew gets older that is) :)

3) use a 26" canti frame I have for the front and a ladies 26" frame in the rear make the front canti bars flow into the rear somehow, use a 26 up front and 24x3 rear. kind of hotrod looking tandem, apes front and rear

What you guys think?

Also if you got one and/or have built one post your pics also

Thanks Ty

I have a great tandem that I love to ride with my friends and family. I would personally advise against apes on a tandem because it makes it harder to steer, and they take some practice steering in the first place. If you look around at a swap meet you might get one for a good deal because they are hard to carry home. I got mine for $50 and it was in great condition. But I think tandems are great and mine never sits around to long! :D

when we are gonna be riding for more than 2-3 miles (maybe 3x a month) ., we break out the tandem for mrs. Scrum, otherwise she would not go. we also do major grocery runs and parades on it.

so even tho it doesnt get ridden as much as the one ups, we would definitly miss not having one.. :roll:

Tandems are like boats. The two happiest days of a tandem or boat owner are the day you bought it and the day you sold it. The best thing about the Schwinn tandem I owned was I bought it for $75 and sold it for $225. I wouldn't own another one if you gave it to me. :!: Bikes are made for one person. The more people you put on a bike, the sillier you look. Gary
DCP_1292.jpg

DCP_1293.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
We very seldom ride ours. But I do like having it around. If you've got plenty of room to store it then go for it.
I agree with Joe. It's a really cool bike, but it takes up some room :shock:
kept ours for a couple of years before I tore it down.
R.I.P. Twice As Nice :lol:
TWICEASNICEcollageBcopy-1.jpg

a good friend of mine made us this poster to hang in the spare room 8)
now we'll always have her!

I call them relationship testers. For some reason they seem to often lead to an argument, but I do like the feel of the long wheelbase when ridden solo. They also make a great base for a really tall, tall bike!

Go for it. We recently picked one up for $50 and wheel it out from time to time to ride canal trails and into town for ice cream. Our grown kids and spouses hop on and ride around the yard as well. It does take up a lot of room though!

thanks for the input guys :) Ya room is starting to be an issue as all the bikes are stored indoors, but if I make a tandem its going to have to live outside under the deck. What option that I listed in the first post do you guys think would be the best/coolest idea?

Thanks Ty

carvingbike said:
I call them relationship testers. For some reason they seem to often lead to an argument

I hear ya, and it's true :mrgreen: it can bring out the best, but also the worst in your relationship, but you'll have something to talk about eitherway :lol:

Now if I was going to build a tandem, and only own one tandem, I'd build it as a steer from the rear. With the steer from the rear you will ride it often, mostly by yourself, sitting on the back seat. To see the reaction of people who don't understand or notice the steer from the rear mechanics of the bike, makes it look like you have nobody steering the bike,and you have amazing balance to steer the bike.
By all means build a steer from the rear tandem.
This is my steer from the rear. It was probably home built 60 or 70 years ago. I removed the fender, greased it and put new tires on it, and ride it. Great fun.
001.jpg

Thats very cool.

Lol yeah ive seen pics of those before that would be hilarious to ride it alone from the back seat... hmmm might make it an option 4. so you can steer it from both seats?

It is somewhat Ironic that I came to post a picture of my tandem that I won last week and found this thread. The Durham N.C. Bike Coop raffled it off during the Tour De Fat festivities, but I left before the drawing so I had to go back today to pick it up. So far my wife and I have only been around the yard a few times on it.
We think we'll like it but may need to make a few mods to it.
tandem1.jpg

tnameplate.jpg

Regardless of what you think of riding them a tandem has an undeniable "cool factor." When riding or hauling my customs around, except for bike people, they might as well be invisible, but on a single 3 hour trip with the bike strapped to my truck bed this plain Jane tandem got more stares, comments, & smiles than any other bike I've ever owned. Go figure...

just saw a 3 person bike in "Abbot and Costello meet Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde"... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back