Stretching a Honda

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was cleaning up all my bike stuff. You know get rid of everything before somebody sticks me on TV as a hoarder. Mark/Kram sends me all these pictures of what you can turn a small Honda into. I bought one just messing around and thought ,hey if they can do it I can too.This is what I'm starting with. A brand new junk 1971 Honda trail 90
hondas001.jpg

I paid $75 for it and it dosent run, but it was cheap. A guy here in Houston sells the repop Honda motors they get from China for $200. I got one of them.
motor004.jpg

Electric start and automatic trans. Then the fun part started. I found a frame a guy was selling that had some cool mag wheels. He wanted $50. I thought it was a deal since it had new tires. I didnt like the old forks because they were all rusty under the covers , so I picked up some tubes from an old Honda xl125. The guy didnt have the triple trees ,so I found some off of a china dirtbike. I had to have the holes for the tubes milled out a little. Then its just a matter of chopping the frame up and extending the tube a little to make it longer. Right now I'm in the design /kinda welded stage , but here is what I have so far. So if anybody has wondered what I have been doing....it Marks fault!
tacked001.jpg

tacked005.jpg

I will take the blame :lol: . However in my defense it didn't take much prodding, and the next thing I know Uncle Stretch is stockpiling parts and getting ready to cut some metal.

Not to hijack a thread but here is the scooter I've been toying around with. It's a '81 passport that I got for $200 it had a title but wasn't really running. I redid the fuel system with a new carb, fuel lines, cleaned and sealed the tank, and after that it fired right up. I pulled off all the busted up plastic body parts, put on some new bigger tires, and now I'm getting the parts together to put on some different handlebars.

Before
DSC05576.jpg

How it stands now (the new carb wasn't hooked up in this pic)
DSC05621.jpg

They make a perfect canvas for a small chopper,and they are cheap to mess with. Here is one of the ones Mark sent me that made me decide to build one.
c65_1.jpg

Cool Project. I was starting to wonder about you Paul. Good to see some of your fabrication again even if it has a motor.

Markm...Clancy hope everybody is doing ok. I have no clue as to a direction , but this project will fill in a little down time.
It's almost too hot to do much of anything.

Thanks for posting, love to see stuff like this! Start with something that's butt ugly and turn it into something that's really cool. 8)
I can't wait to see what you do with yours, I'm sure it will be very nice.
As a kid i rode a 90 honda, it was a blast good power and pretty much bullet proof !

I just sold my k2 750 gsx-r and bought an 81 honda cm400e to play with...
:D

Uncle Stretch said:
They make a perfect canvas for a small chopper,and they are cheap to mess with. Here is one of the ones Mark sent me that made me decide to build one.
c65_1.jpg

Well Mine should turn out ok. Its slow because unlike a bicycle stuff has to line up and then its a little harder to figure out distances. I can make it look pretty good , but it might not work right so I'm taking my time.

If you need parts for that rig, there is a big motorcycle salvage place near me in Franklin NH called "Coopers" (probably googleable) I was in a shipping container full of parts just for these bikes. If you contact them with your needs, they will e-mail photos etc.

BTW: COOL PROJECT!!

Any progress on that project?

you my friend is a jerk. :wink:

i had planned on dragging this to the dump this weekend. and now all i have to look forward to is explaining to the girly friend, why our basement needs another motorcycle. :lol:
357iv6q.jpg

i've been spending my free time working on a few minibikes/engines.
2najkw2.jpg

can ya tell the girl is outta town again. :mrgreen:

I've wanted to build custom motorcycles for years (and have in the past to some degree)
having no garage has limited me to what i can carry into the basement.

That being said, you sir have inspired me. :)
2j5e5oj.jpg

I'm even contemplating cutting up my super rare 1964 yami omaha trail 80 (the disassembled bike in the photo

Man Icuod2 that little 90 is awesome. I have been looking for one. A guy ran one on cl for $350 , but it turns out he is someone I have already had bad dealings with. I almost had to take a chance on another getting took and buy it. I know one will come along.
For some reason I can't get geared into a small bike build. I am drawn back to bicycles. I have no idea where this will end up. Kinda gotten lazy for some reason.

actually uncle stretch, both the red and blue bikes are 1965 honda s 65's. I picked it and the parts bike up for $400.
that being said, its the 1964 omaha trail 80 thats the reat peach (now the red frame in the pic's above)
2dr99pj.jpg

2m81ekw.jpg

there extremely rare (less than 500 in north america)
The only info i could get out of yami (in cali) was the battery size.(and that took 3 months)
they seemed very interested in finding out as much info (from me) as possible.
Aparently there was a huge fire back in the 60's and they have very little to no info on this beast.

Back