Speed Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need a wind deflector...you know to make you go faster :mrgreen: also i forsee an awsome rear fender if you make one

Did some work on the fork today.. Added some faux truss rod dampers to make the fork blend in with the rest of the bike..

sb7002.jpg

Yeah i thought of some sort of small wind defelector ideas in the beginning but i ditched it.. Right now im thinking more along the lines of a really big motorcycle headlight up front.. :D

Next on my "to-do" list is starting to work on the crank-brake stuff and the foot pegs..

K-dregg said:
I used a old mtb handlebar and piece of pipe that fitted outside the forkleg and just welded on tabs for the bolts, oh and i cut a slit in the tube so it can crimp down on the forkleg.. Came togheter easier than i thought actully and saved me some money, plus they look just as raw and crude that i wanted. :D

Oh and thank you all for the input and the kind words..!

( Hey Alba, i think i chased the seagulls away, getting a tiny bit smoother.. Its about confidence, right? :D )

CONFIDENCE AND PRACTICE + AN OUNCE OF LUCK, LOOKING GOOD k :shock:

No tell Scott that she will be wearing lipstick! :D

I ran some disc wheels on a regular bike and pulled them off after a couple of days.. That whoom-whoom-whoom sound drove me nuts! And i cant justify any more weight on this build even if it would look cool!

I found a good trick from someone on here about using minwax. Works really good for getting an aged look. I just follow the instructions on the can. I use stain first and since it is no wood it doesn't soak in but it collects in all the scratches and really brings out some character. Then the clear I just sponge on as well after a day or so of letting the stain dry. Its seems to go on thicker than clear coat so you can really go at it when polishing and it has a really good antique looking wet shine.

That head badge was really cool Nocturne.. To bad they wanted 40 bucks for it.. I'll look into that minwax, it sounds interesting.. Thanks!

The wheel set comes from a transport type bike, 24 inch up front with a moped tire and a 26 1-1/2 in the rear..So its not a regular 26 inch MTB type, its that "other type".. The tire is a Nokian city runner. Ive been looking for some fatter ones but i cant find any..

Been a bit slow on this build but hopefully i get some stuff done tomorrow..!

Got some small stuff done.. This is what the saddle looks like after some work.. I want the "skeleton" to show trough the leather.. I will add some more padding under it..

sb6002.jpg

Fot pegs added, and a rear fender.. :D

sb6003.jpg

..Trademark "Chesta-rest".. I think im going to reshape it though.. maybe cut of a bit and weld something on there..

sb6004.jpg

And this is a possible solution for the rear brake.. Im thinking of just welding some flat bar to mount the sprocket there and to have some small stubs or something to push down on with the foot.. I'm not shure if it will work though..
I have a bunch of other ideas that would look and work better but the problem is that when you roll the bike backwards the coasterbrake starts pulling the chain backwards (as they do) and the chain would either mangle any chain-rod system or make the wheel lock up, wich i dont want..

sb6005.jpg

This is how the front fork looks mounted, Still needs some small work done but almost done with it..
The black strip is just some tape, i think i'll go with the raw metal and just some colour below the strip..

sb6006.jpg

I like this look!

sb6007.jpg

I think i need to order the engine to get on with this build.. I need to know how the engine sits before making the tank mounts etc..

Thanks for watching! Cheers Dregg

An idea for your rear brake is to get a heavy duty rear hub from bicycleengines.com. It's threaded at both ends so you can use an external band brake. I used this set up on the Indian and it works great.

Yeah iv'e been looking into another rear hub and something like that would do it.. problem is that i wanted to do this build without buying a lot of extra parts racking up cost's.. :)
My BTR build got pretty expensive in the end with custom built wheels, custom stainless tank,sprockets, air filter. motorcycle clutch and throttle etc and i would like to avoid that with this build..

Back