Speed Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what the stupid brake will look like.. I need to add some stubs for the fot to pull on and weld it all together.. Yeah thats the idea, You have your fot on the peg and under the stub and pull it upwards making the sprocket rotate backwards activating the brake.. Its nowhere near the force you generate with the leg on a regular setup but with the drum brake up front it should slow it down.. a little.. :D

nb1005.jpg

If that doesn't work i'll just add a chute.. :D

Oh and i really need a better camera, this one's sort of hit and miss.. i never really see how bad the pics are before i upload them but you get the idea about the general construction i hope..

I think the brake really fits the theme.

I understand it's done, but one Idea. If you ran the chain in sort of a figure 8, you would be able to push down on the pedal to stop. You could maybe angle the sprocket a bit so the chain will clear itself. Or possibly even tack a part of the chain to the sprocket and cog (removing the rear wheel would be a pain though).

Just an idea...not trying to nit pick.

It looks really awesome! I have a buddy that hates gas bikes. But when he saw yours, he wanted to build one like it!!! Way to inspire!

Ive been watching your build for a bit. I was bored so i drew this up.
8.jpg

The connecting rod doesn't need to be straight either, to avoid chain stay clearance issues.

This is of course assuming you are putting the foot pegs at the bottom bracket. You could also use what you already have and connect the rod to the top of the lower sprocket. Which would look awesome.

It's actually better to have the pedal pull the brake, rather than pushing it. Like a motorcycle.

Thank you guys for the input..! :D I tried to run the chain in a figure eight as Beau suggested but there was not enough room to get any clearence.. To much rub and counter movement when force was applied..

And i toyed with ideas like yours Miasma, but for some reason i really want the bike to be able to roll backwards. And since the cog on the coaster brake starts to rotate with the wheel when bush backwards, a brake like that would lock the wheel up making it cumbersome to move the bike around..

Right now i'm just waiting for the engine kit so i can get on with this build.. :D

But again, Thanks!

1972 500 Daytona. Restored twice to stock and then turned into a Cafe/Vintage Racer. Tons of custom and vintage racer parts.

Fantastic bike Odom! :shock:

The engine kit came a couple of days befor xmas but with work and the hollidays i haven't had time to get anything done on the bike, but today I got the tank mounted and finished the brake, wich i really hate at the moment.. right now i just want to chop it of.. :D

Anyway i got this puch head on ebay to play with, the way the inside of the head is shape really differs from the stock one and its much bigger wich should improve cooling, Thats if it will work..
(i'm not even shure if it will go on this bike)
The bolt pattern is the same and it bolts right on but i think you need a different plug, the stock plugs sits to far up..

hd1001.jpg

hd1002.jpg

Tomorrow i'll try to get the exhaust done and i will try to get som pics of the progress.. :D

There are guys that are putting entire PUCH cylinder and head assemblies, albeit slightly modified, on the lower end of our little two China Girl engines. Tougher, cooler, and of course, more power. If you can toss the stock 6mm cylinder nuts and bolts for 8mm you will have a bullet proof engine.

Yeah i read about those engines over at motorbicycling.com.. Its interesting stuff but after what i understand they dont last that long..

Anyway here's a pic of the exhaust.. The tubing i used is a bit bigger than on the stock exhaust, that should make up for the extra lenght and all the kinks.. The muffler is pretty much gutted, there is some junk in there that i couldnt pull out but a little restriction is only good..

dd1001.jpg

I think it came out really nice.. :D

yeah the kinks are for backpressure :mrgreen: more torque that way

Looking good! Love the exhaust, i bet it's loud :mrgreen:

Stating the obvious on the head, but, make sure the puch sparklpug does not hit the piston! Looks like the chamber in the puch head is a lot smaller, so more compression!! YEAH!
Might be a good idea to mount a puch head gasket as wel.

Yeah i'm going down to the local autostore with the head to try plugs out to get a proper one. and yeah i need a PUCH head gasket to.. The stock ones are to big and does'nt seal properly.
If i run the puch head on this build i think it will be pretty hard to start, no pedals means coasting down a hill or bump start it and with high comp that could be diffucult on flat ground.. But these are things i have factored in so i know what i'm in for.. This bike will be a unpractical and difficult ride when its done and the idea of the build is more along the lines of "functional art"
I think i stated that earlier in this thread that its more about the idea of speed than actully achiveing it. :D

Getting some small work done.. Added a little shield thingy over the cutout for the exhaust..

tf1002.jpg

And i made a little windshield.. its from a bit of a old seat and the plastic is from a old street light.. I just love junk!
And as usuall i'm not sure if it will go on the bike or not.. But it was fun to make..

tf1004.jpg

Got a nice throttle, looks better than the plastic one from the kit..

tf1003.jpg

And i have switched rear wheel.. Had a big fight with the old one and it had to go.. Words like stripped threads, fixed cone nut whre thrown around togheter with a lot of cursing..
Luckily i had a same size rear wheel from a old swedish army bike that's actully wider that came to the rescue.. :D

I finally scored a big beat up headlight on Ebay with a amber lense, should be here in a week or so.. Got it for 15 bucks but don't ask me what the shipping was.. :lol:

hey K buddy its looking good, you done a nice job of the exhaust m8 , see practice does make perfect 8)

Latest posts

Back