Some New Guy Q's.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, Im kinda new to all this bike stuff,so, I apologize for the questions if they're dumb. I just bought a Schwinn Legacy form target, and I can't really find any info on it other than the stuff that comes in the info packet. I like to put some apehangers on it along with a stingray style springer front along with a few odds and ends, but due to the bars and steerer tubes and all that being in various sizes, I have no clue where to start. Could any one give me a jumping off point? I appreciate the help in advance!
Shane

Those Questions arent dumb. I just started on all this stuff a few months ago and just joined yesterday. Anyway, if i were you i wouldnt do much messing with a newer bike unless your really good, my bro tryed that and his bike is still sitting messed up in my garage. I cant give you much advice but i think the apehangers are a pretty cool idea... I have a bike i am going to put an old mustang steering wheel on.... so.... yeah...

Bikes in general aren't that difficult to work on, I've been doing it since i was 7 years old, just make sure the fork you get is the same size as the bike you have, most are 1 inch threaded or 1 - 1/8 threadless. and that the length of the steer tube is long enough. The ape hangers are same way just make sure you've got the right diameter to fit your stem and don't go too radical if you want it to handle well. Other than that have fun with it and post some pics when you can. :D

Welcome to the site. :mrgreen:

How do I figure out how long my steerer tube is? I'm a pretty mchanically inclined person, Its just trying to figure out what the actual pieces and pats are called.

The "steerer tube" is the top part of the fork. The fork consists of two parts, the "U" shaped part that holds the wheels, and a threaded tube where the fork connects to the frame.

Maybe this will help??
frameterms.jpg

Cheers!
Dr. T

Back