Smokers show em. and not Cigaretts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to see if any of you" smoke Meat " and if so what you use and how..
Looking to see how others do it.. :wink:

Yep, I smoke meat too.

I am using a horizontal Oklahoma Joe stick burner. And I smoke all the usual stuff... Spare Ribs, Baby Back Ribs, Pork Butts, Brisket, Baked beans, Pork Tenderloins, and even some veggies like Cabbage, Corn, and stuffed peppers... Dang it now im hungry :lol:

I mix up my own Rubs, and sauces.

bbq003.jpg

bbq002.jpg

Looks great and ready to eat..I am new to smoking meat...I had an older Brinkmann R2D2 style smoker that a Lady gave me .
A quick rattle can High heat paint job on it and it worked ok ...I was online and found out how to modify it to work better..never did.
I was in my local land fill and found a brand new gourmet Brinkmann R2D2 style in Red not a scratch on it and never used..
So far I have done some Chicken legs and used apple wood a few times ..The legs came out ok now I want to try some ribs..

Ribs are not hard to do. Well really NONE of it is hard to do, you just need to find what works for you and then your set.
The main thing is getting to know your smoker and being able to reproduce your results. I suggest keeping a small "log" of your results. then each time you can always come back to them and reproduce the same result time and time again.

What works for me on Ribs... Pull the membrane on the bone side! Rub em up with my own stuff I mix up, then in the smoker it goes (200-225 degrees) spray with apple juice every 30 minutes, till the meat "pulls" (its like the meat shrinks and exposes the rib bone) This usually takes somewhere around three hours. Then foil them using heavy duty foil, and adding in a half cup of apple juice before sealing them up, then back in the smoker for two hours at the same temp. After the two hours remove them from the foil and if you like them "Wet" then slather with sauce and back in the smoker for a half hour to an hour. or if you like em dry... remove them from the foil and sprinkle with some more rub and then back in the smoker for the same half hour to an hour.

Keep in mind this is for Spare ribs, baby backs require less time.

Apple wood is good, as is most any fruit tree... we have peach, apple and cherry. I also use a lot of pecan.

I always try to pull the membrane on ribs, but it just won't cooperate, so it stays on. I use lemon and lime juice along with salt and pepper to season, then 10 minutes of smoking. Then they get wrapped in foil and cooked for a couple hours. I open them up and add the sauce, usually one of 2 kinds we like. The first is store bought honey BBQ, I add orange marmalade and some crushed garlic and call it Florida BBQ. The other is Dab o' Datil sauce, only made in Middleburg Fl. They then stay open for 15 minutes to get good and browned.
I converted my smoker to electric a few years ago. I live in military housing, so electricity is paid for by me, just no limit to how much. My electric smoker gets a lot of business. It is an older model Brinkmann, a vertical version of their more common smoker with the firebox on the side. It has 3 racks so you can adjust the cooking temp by moving the food to a higher rack. The top one just keeps the food hot. I throw wood chips in at the beginning to get smoke flavor. I've found that 10 minutes in smoke adds pretty good flavor, although it's not real smoking by definition.

2d82hck.jpg

2rdg4uu.jpg

Very cool! I don't smoke but my friends here on the Cape smoke Blue Fish. This is an oily fish that run the same sizes as Stripper Bass but put on a heck of a show when caught. Also these fish will destroy your gear and if you get to close to them will shread you with their teeth or stab you with the barbs on some of there fins. Not everyone likes them, I do, but they are at their best when they are smoked. They freeze the best in this form and you can eat them later on after the summer is gone. A friend from CT soaks his in a cayanne pepper brine of some sort. I call it the "All-most-home Smoked Blue Fish" because I've never gotten it home yet. Good stuff!

GL

Wildcat... and others, Pulling the membrane is not hard at all. Use a sharp knife and slide it under to lift a corner, then grab it with a paper towel and pull. The paper towel will allow you to grip it and yank that sucker off of there.

Karfer... that one way to do it :D

Graylock... I havent tried fish yet... but I plan on doing some salmon for sure since a buddy of mine just got back from an Alaska fishing trip :mrgreen:

yep one way to do it and one tire too. if i can keep the 50 flatty running i will do one with her too for u guys

Here is a video several years back when my son was 15 and just had a learner's permit. Dad taught him well :lol: :lol:

This was at a burnout contest, the rules stated you had to be rolling... NO static burnouts. He ended up winning the contest two years in a row with his El Crapino..... then I got to buy and install a new tranny :roll:

http://members.cox.net/02f150harley/burnout2.mpg

rolling burnout contests suck takes the stick cars out of it in my opinion who cares if a car stops if it is smoking then its cool. anyways well done but i did mine with a stock 200 straight 6 with a 1bbl carb. can u say bleach and a 3000 rpm clutch drop? well done and its all good turbo 350 trans are cheap hehe i love them.

Thanks Guys for the Tips on how smoke "MEATS" Tire smoke is a no brainer :roll: Been there done that!

Ratfink1962 said:
Well, we wanted to make sure you got your money's worth!

Smoked meats, and smokin tires, you got it all in one thread :lol:

Ratlink....No problem..I was trying to keep it on a food level...but we are in America and we do have freedom of speech.. :lol:
so no hard feelings..Feel free to post what you want..Jay

I did one other thing with my smoker, I put all the bison I had for jerky in there to give it smoke flavor, instead of liquid smoke from the bottle. After I sliced it all up, 10 minutes in a good cloud of hickory smoke gave it a good taste. Then it all went to the dehydrator. It was time consuming doing it that way, but it worked.

Those are some awesome lookin' ribs guys! Smoked blue fish is the only way I've ever liked blues.

Back