Sky Ray - the Atomic Space Age

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHITE WALL TIRES: I am looking for recommendations for 26 x 1 3/4 white wall tires. I see some in the $50 range (Duro) a pair. Any advise for middle-weight tires is welcome.

1 3/4ths is a fractional number, you'll need tires that are decimal, like 1.75, 1.90, 2.125 etc. The 1 3/4 size is for the slightly larger diameter Schwinn S-7 wheels. Unless you are using S-7 wheels of course. Also, the 1 3/8ths size is larger in diameter.
The Ross middleweight frames I've had wouldn't take a wider tire, the chainstays weren't wide enough, so I always went with 26 x 1.75, the size they came with new.
I'll agree whitewalls will look best on your bike.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/tires-tubes/tires/26/26-x-1-00-1-75

1 3/4ths is a fractional number, you'll need tires that are decimal, like 1.75, 1.90, 2.125 etc. The 1 3/4 size is for the slightly larger diameter Schwinn S-7 wheels. Unless you are using S-7 wheels of course. Also, the 1 3/8ths size is larger in diameter.
The Ross middleweight frames I've had wouldn't take a wider tire, the chainstays weren't wide enough, so I always went with 26 x 1.75, the size they came with new.
I'll agree whitewalls will look best on your bike.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/tires-tubes/tires/26/26-x-1-00-1-75
I intended to write 26 x 1.75 (although that is the same in conversion). I was looking for a brand of whitewall tire.

The assembly begins and there is a lot of chicken left on the bone. Aside from the guard, rack and tank not installed; everything needs adjustments. The back wheel has a wobble, but not sure if it is ride worthy at this point.

Check out the cool front rack, perfect for your baseball glove, school books or maybe a 6 pack of your favorite beverage. The seat was salvaged from a dumpster, and is not period correct but should be comfy. The original seat was shot.

Really nice work on this one, it's 'themed' without being 'over-themed'. It looks factory.
Great color scheme too, the brown is the perfect transition between the black and the orange.

Cheers!
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Dr. T for noticing, its all about knowing when to stop. The theme starts with the original head badge and the tank (not shown) featuring a jet and rockets. The shape of the rack really lends itself for the Mercury rocket, and I tried to keep the graphics simple, keeping to a early 60's style. The chain guard is just for fun. The color choice is a result of the favorite colors of my niece, who will be the recipient. The fork darts have been recreated to the original look.

The tank is a great addition!

Latest posts

Back