Sky Ray - the Atomic Space Age

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is the serial number: 5991289
Any information details or the year of the bike are welcome.

That's a great idea, but I may go on the cheap on this one. Do you have any idea what something like that may cost?
No, but something that small and only one color shouldn't be much.
Plus it's free to check into it. A set of small vinyl inlays for a guitar (the crosses), 14 pieces less than two inches square (counting the extras), was less than 20 bucks, and they were diecut and scaled in size each getting smaller.

I built this. :)

Carl.

Thanks, the front rack seems to be prevalent on the early 60's middle-wieghts. Must have been perfect for toting the baseball glove.
I wish I knew what THAT RACK IS CALLED. I am trying to figure out how I can find that design of rack. I have other square ones. but I like that one and the way it is shaped.

GO ON THE CHEAP? Man you already paid a lot for the bike. You have money into the restoration. The very few dollars it will cost for the vinyl is pennies on this build. But it will make the bike!

GO ON THE CHEAP? Man you already paid a lot for the bike. You have money into the restoration. The very few dollars it will cost for the vinyl is pennies on this build. But it will make the bike!
This bike was a throw-in on a 4 bike deal. The guy who sold the 4 bikes made me take the Sky Ray to clear out his barn. At this point I have 2 cans of spray primer and time invested. But I will look into the vinyl.

For some reason, I like your post here. I guess because you called it an ugly duckling. I wish I lived closer to you. I would have tried to talk you out of it. I will follow your progress.
Thanks for the great pictures.
:rockout:

For some reason, I like your post here. I guess because you called it an ugly duckling. I wish I lived closer to you. I would have tried to talk you out of it. I will follow your progress.
Thanks for the great pictures.
:rockout:
Believe me, you could have had it for a song. No one wanted poor ol' Sky Ray and I did try to unload it. My favorite niece had shown some interest in some of my bikes, so I will surprise her this spring with a new ride. Thanks for following along.

I picked this early 60's odd ball as part of a 4 bike deal. The deal was buy all 4 for 400 or none at all. Three classic prewar gems, and yes...the SKY RAY.

This is the condition as I picked it up.

These are the previously mentioned 4 bikes. Notice the ugly duckling in the back.

Very interesting old bike. Good pick. I like the duct tape application. I have made bike seats and even a rear car fender out of duct tape but it never occurred to me to make tires out of it. Ill have to rethink my repair possibilities.

This is the Mercury 3 rocket, the first U.S. manned mission; Piloted by Allen Shepard. I will be using this rocket to serve as a model for my rear rack graphic. My father served on the USS Champlain which was the recovery carrier for the Mercury 3 mission.

"Chain guard - space for rent..."

How about the NASA logo or one of the Apollo mission logos?

"Chain guard - space for rent..."

How about the NASA logo or one of the Apollo mission logos?

Great idea Rick, but I have a little surprise that I will reveal later. (have to save something to look forward to)
Meanwhile check out the mission (Mercury 3) patch that my fathers carrier was involved with.

It's fun time. Painting stripes and other graphics is one of the most enjoyable steps of the restoration. I am trying to keep in line with what may have been a 60's style design. Once the clear coat goes on, everything should really take shape.

Here is a close up of the fork dart. This is what the original marking would be on a Ross fork of this era. I had to give the Ross/Sky Ray fans something recognizable to grab on to. I used tape, razor blade and a rattle can; and it went down on the first attempt.

Space for rent..haha!
How's about the MOON?
Plenty of space for rent...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back