SHIPPING

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it that someone gives you a price for shipping.And when you get it from its not even half of what they charged you. :oops:

That is what you have agreed to. That also covers their time, and materials to pack the item. While I agree some people do charge a lot to ship, you do have the option of saying: "never mind the shipping is to high". If the seller really want to sell he will reduce.

my thing is if i buy a part for lets say $15 shipping is another $6 bucks thats $21 bucks sent to the seller... i would expect to see the shipping on the tag say $6 or in the ball park dont try to make more off the shipping for that raise the price on the part or give a estimated price on shipping that way theres no surprises.. i see where both of you are coming from on the matter....theres been times where i have paid $15 for parts with shipping included and have gotten the parts and seen that seller spent almost as much he/she charged me for the part in shipping alone..so iv been on both sides of the fence before id say an estimate on shipping price or the buyer look it up them selves.

Shipping things sucks period. The cost has gone up tremendously and I cant even fathom how to estimate it anymore. I ballpark what I think it should be and usually lose. Occasionally I end up ahead, but not by much, and there is something to be said for the hassle of packaging and materials and then going somewhere to drop off the package, wait in lines etc... As long as the pirice was agreed upon beforehand one cannot complain.

It really gripes me to see $40 for a part, then look down at shipping and it says $!50. And don't give me the "Just Say No" excuse, This " for sale" section in the swap meet portion of RRB, is not a car dealership. I wish that some sellers would stop the bait and switch routine. Just add you're time and materials into the price of the part and give fare shipping.The term," time and materials" I really don't get. Does the guy at the swap meet tell you a price for a part then says" $10 more for my time and gas??..no. If you are a legit business say so, iff you are like most of us selling to fund other projects or to make a little extra money just be upfront in you're posting. I've been chewed out in a email for "pulling out of a deal" because I refused to pay for really high shipping cost. When I looked it up myself, shipping would have been 1/3 his price...ok now my fingers is tired

The difference must be the 'Handling' in s&H..... :roll:

I understand that a person's time has value, I ship/receive things from here and eBay all the time. Perception is reality for a lot of people, maybe it's better to factor in the 'H' as part of of the price of the item and let the shipping costs fall on the courier.

Just my .02

Cheers,
Dr. T

I try to price my parts cheaper than you would normally pay for them on the open market - anywhere. Then I try to figure the shipping exactly and that is the estimate I give. I eat all my time, materials & gas and still sometimes buyers say the shipping is too much. For me personally I do OK because I am willing to eat so much. I custom build all my boxes for larger & odd shaped parts which sometimes takes up to 2 1/2 hours from beginning to end. Shipping Sucks all the way around. It's almost impossible to be fair to all parties. If I charged what it actually costs me to ship I just wouldn't sell very much. It's a no-win situation. Robert

It works out fairly easily for me, but I've had the time to research and find the best or easiest ways to ship. The USPS is my favorite for cost. I use one of their flat rate boxes. If it's larger, like a frame, I used their calculator on their webpage to find the largest box before the price takes a big jump. That's 44 x 24 x 8 right now. A regular bike box cut down slightly works well. You can't get a regular bike all in there, everything except the wheels. A 20" muscle bike may just squeeze in there. At about 15-20 lbs, it's about 20-25 bucks to ship that size box. It's parcel post on the webpage, you have to hunt to find that price, if you go bigger, it's 70 bucks or more right off the bat. The time and work it takes to package parts properly is worth something. Sometimes a frame will take me an hour to pack up. I consider it my bike time, which is always a plus for me. So I don't add anything to the shipping the post office charges. I still prefer the hassle of shipping to members here to the nutcases I've dealt with on CL locally.

dont matter the size of the box really ,,,,if u agree to 20 bucks plus 15 for shipping thats what u have 2 pay !!!! what does the box size matter ? if u dont like the price then dont agree to it !!!

just my 2 cents ....dosent matter much either way !!! :D

Yes I agreed to it but if he said it would be be six dollars to ship to and i get it and it only cost him two dollars and twelve cent to ship he just straight out LIED about the shipping and thats the bottom line.

tnt1 said:
Yes I agreed to it but if he said it would be be six dollars to ship to and i get it and it only cost him two dollars and twelve cent to ship he just straight out LIED about the shipping and thats the bottom line.

mikesbikes36 said:
dont matter the size of the box really ,,,,if u agree to 20 bucks plus 15 for shipping thats what u have 2 pay !!!! what does the box size matter ? if u dont like the price then dont agree to it !!!

just my 2 cents ....dosent matter much either way !!! :D

i agree if the seller says $15 bucks on shipping I expect for the shipping to be $15 no $7.86

Just my .2

well if most guys r like me they just quote a price ....im not gonna go 2 the PO with 2 arm fulls of crap 2 get a price only 2 have a guy thats "really" interested say ahhh no thnx !!! that crap sucks !!! yes ? i been there n done that! so now i just shoot a price and hope i dont get burnt on shippin ..and i have several times ,i guess thats part of it tho !! i have refunded the differnce a few times ..if its a big differnce ..most guys say just keep it for ur troubles ...
when i was sellin my bike signs i went to the PO and weighed one sign then got everyones zip and got prices that way ...that wasent 2 bad but if ur sellin ton of stuff u have 2 get prices for it kina stinks ...and the guy at the PO is like OH MAN THIS GUY AGIAN >....LOL i should make him some cookies for his troubles ...anyway i guess everyone has differnt ways of thinkin about it !!

Yeah I got a bicycle turn signal for $15 but it said shipping $10 but when I got the signal home in the mail the shipping box said $5, I guess he was trying to get a little more money by putting it into a smaller box, the original turn signal package is a clear plastic front with a cardboard back which he cut the front enough to fold it back then some how actually fit it into the box.

But I guess $5 bucks isn't really too much to complain about although that is how some people get a lot of money out of people, 100 people is giving you $5 from you kind of gives them a certain amount of money at the end of the day.

Well all i got was a piece of chain and five master links. that dont even weigh three ounces.So you think it cost six dollars to ship that no!

IFF this does not apply to you, don't take it personally. But iff the shoe fits wear it.
O.K it works like this; I[seller] have a frame I think is worth $90, but it won't sell at that price. So I post it for $60 and charge $55 for shipping. After some one [ buyer] says they want it, I take to the post office or other shipping service and off it goes for $15 shipping. So I wanted $90, I sold it for $60 + $30 I made off shipping =$90
O.K. some one says well, you agreed to "SHIPPING", yes shipping, believing its going to SHIPPING, NOT lining you're pocket to get the high price you think it's worth. Now I do understand the USPS flat rate box idea. What ever you put in the box= 1 price, light or heavy= 1price. That way is very simple, but more times than not more expensive, than a plane box getting it weighed, which is more time consuming. The airlines are currently doing the above mentioned bait and switch with airline fees. "ON sale $99 one way turns into $155 one way w/ the extra fees.
O.K. my fingers are tired again. :shock: :arrow: 8)

Ok I have nothing else to say if someone done all of you that posted a comment agreein what he done was ok If he had done you that way you would have bitched about it.

You guys are thinking way too hard about all of this, really. It's pretty simple: When you buy something off the internet and have it shipped to you, the total cost for your part is it's price plus the shipping charge. If the total of those two is more than you would give for the part at, say, a swap meet, you have the option of passing on it. Doesn't really matter about what the shipping charge is, or if it's even accurate. The total cost is your bottom line. Expect to pay a premium to have a worldwide market at your fingertips. You can wait for someone to have just what you want at a garage sale or swap meet, at the right price, or you can pay a little more to have it right away. Either way, the total cost should be what matters to you, and if it's too high for you, move on.

Back