Schwinn Heavy Duti Industrial Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone one know anything about these bikes? Found one on CL that does not look that old, but the bike does have some interesting lines. It is mustard yellow with chrome fenders. Pretty sure I will make an offer but trying to gauge value before I do.

Thanks in advance Guys!

You got pics or a link to an ad? The only ones with actual collector value are the Chicago-built ones, which would be 1980 or older, middleweight canti frames with HD wheels (realy fat spokes) and the frame joints will be extra smooth (electroforged). Post 1980, you got a variety of imported Schwinns.... some are canti frames, others are 3 bars.... early ones have 1" threaded headtubes; later/current ones will be 1.125" threaded headtubes. If it's not a Chi-Town Schwinn, it'll potentially be a good bike, but I wouldn't spend much, even on a clean complete. Part of the appeal for industrial bikes, for me at least, is that they're not worth much to collectors... that, plus that they're typically overbuilt and have a ton of tire clearance, makes them a worthwhile platform for customization.

It's a newer one. It looks pretty clean/straight/complete. They sell for $400 at full retail. I think the $200 asking price is too much, but it's a $100 bike for someone who really wants it.

For reference, Chuckz usually sells SHD framesets like that for $60 to $75 shipped on RRB's for sale forum. I'd definitely go for it for $100 for a nice complete like that, but I really like those bikes. If you're on the fence about it, maybe you're really looking for something different?

I went ahead and offered the guy $ 100 (you can never have too many bikes :)) but I think he was insulted by the offer and am waiting to hear back from him. I recently paid $ 200 for a Fuji Del Rey cruiser that originally sold for $ 699. I like funky new or vintage cruisers that are a little bit out of the ordinary and this one certainly fits the bill.The bike is out in the boonies but I will be passing his way this weekend when I take my RV to Matagorda. It can frustrating dealing with people who set unrealistic prices for their items on CL. Hopefully, he comes around.

Just don't do what I did and assume any one piece crank will fit a balloon tire frame bike ;)

I LIKE BIKES

That brings up something I've been wondering about. I use to assume the same thing. Do these later China made bikes, like the original poster is asking about, take a typical American one piece crank and bearing set? I put what I believe to be a vintage used American set on mine and it seems okay but I'm not a bike mechanic and have been wondering if the cups that come in these frames are a different size.

My apologies for going off subject.

Oh my issue is that I used a OPC off what is assumed a road bike.

No bueno!!
f6e9003858dd41a426864b97dbb57368.jpg

I LIKE BIKES

Ouch! That is close and then some. The set I used clears the chain stays easily but I am worried about the size of the cups that are in the frame. Me being cheap and poor I just used the originals that were pressed in the frame and used the vintage crank and bearing set I had. It spins fine, stays tight, with no funny business that I can detect but again I'm no bike mechanic and know very little about bottom brackets, cup sizes, bearing set sizes............

I don't think I am gonna be able to close the deal on it........at least not yet. It's gonna have to go for a month or so of not selling for the guy to come off his asking price. Would do $ 120 but not gonna offer this until he comes back with a counter offer.

Man, you aren't kidding. I talked with the guy and I might be close to sealing the deal and picking up on my way back from Matagorda. It is a little out of my way but I like to stop by Prazecs for the beef jerky.

Forget that guy, anyway. RRB member Ind-Chuckz is the undisputed king of Industrial Bikes in the lower 48.... and he just happens to hail from nearby Boostin' Houston!
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/frames-frames-frames-for-sale.86229/
If you can pick'm up, you might be able to save on shipping.... It's worth contacting him and seeing whatcha can do with it...
Man you are not kidding! Som really cool frames! Are the old Skool Chicago or newer?

The Schwinn is like a 2013 Chinese HD. The Summit is a Schwinn Heavy Duti clone, put out by the same firm that used to produce SHDs for Schwinn BITD. Exactly like the Schwinns but with a kickstand plate, a 1" threaded headset, and slightly different mounting brackets for the chainguard. The 2 in the middle are ?Worksman Industrial News Boys. I have 3 Worksman INBs built up, with a 4th in the Works. (The Four Worksmen of the Apocolypse...) So, yeah, those are by far my favorite. The ones in the ad are probably about 5 years old or less; they're still super-old school in terms of design and construction, made in NYC the same way for many decades.... Can't go far wrong with any of them.

808, I'm glad you're keeping track of all this. Have you considered writing down some of this mixed up Schwinn info? Gary
Haha, thanks.... I could write stuff down.... there's lots that I do know, but so many gaps in "Schwinn" history exist, at least as far as I know. I do know that the all-yellow HD in chuckz's ad is a 2013 or '14 b/c of the color, dropouts, decals....last year stuff is easy to verify. But the cantilever tigged HDs from the late 80s? Those are a mysteryto me. Might be Giant-built, might be...? It seems like they never stopped offering the Heavy Duti, but it didn't always make the catalogs in the 80s and 90s, so sometimes finding the year and other details is hard....

Latest posts

Back