Schwinn Heavy Duti Industrial Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, thanks.... I could write stuff down.... there's lots that I do know, but so many gaps in "Schwinn" history exist, at least as far as I know. I do know that the all-yellow HD in chuckz's ad is a 2013 or '14 b/c of the color, dropouts, decals....last year stuff is easy to verify. But the cantilever tigged HDs from the late 80s? Those are a mysteryto me. Might be Giant-built, might be...? It seems like they never stopped offering the Heavy Duti, but it didn't always make the catalogs in the 80s and 90s, so sometimes finding the year and other details is hard....

There was a 1980ish or so Schwinn Canti HD that was posted here recently that was marked made in Hungary. That was a new one to me anyways. I can't find the darn thread now.

I just found the thread and it came from Chuck. The pic belongs to mornview and he has quite a few others of it in his post.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/winter-cruiser-build.86166/#post-848484

eiDJtfK.jpg

Yeah, they did some Hungarian frames early 80s; i've seen late 80's canti-frames with some gummy welds and zerk fittings in the head and bb (!) that i think are Taiwan built... not sure if they came from the factory with the zerks or if a Bubba added them to be awesome,,, seen pics of the frAmes with and without.

These days, easiest to find by far are the newer Chinese jawns with the 1.125" headtube, which are great for klunks, b/c you can easily run modern forks and they take 1" seatposts. BB is lower off the ground than a Worksman though, so choose an INB if you're concerned about pedal strike....

Back