Schwinn Heavy Duti built via misc. parts: Small updates

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. No ape hanger bars for me. Not planning on adding fenders. If I do I would swap the bar and stems out. Not sure if I will keep the chain guard on it. Been riding it without it until the recent cool snap. Didn't want to get a blousing strap out to ride it with long pants and since I have wanted to see what it looked like with the chain guard I decided to slap it on for now.

Cool.
I like it with the guard; to me it completed the bike.

I love having guards tho as I can't stand having strap on my leg

This is a very versatile bike. You could go clunking if you added a water bottle holder, or ride the bike path to enjoy the day or commute if you added a rack and plastic mountain bike easy to remove flashing. You could even ride it in the winter in the commuting mode. One bike does it all. If I was forced to have only one bike, this is the one I would want. The upright position would not be optimal for clunking, but you could still ride a lot of trails. I like it al lot.

Thank you. I agree with you, these frames have endless possibilities. Just swap or add a few parts and you get different capabilities. In the last pics in the thread I did add a water bottle holder and it will be staying on the bike. I forgot to mention it as one of the small updates.

In the back of my attached garage I have a vintage American straight bar frame set with solid forged front fork. It's possibly a Schwinn heavy weight. The rear coaster break arm is Schwinn scripted marked and the rim looks Schwinn heavy weight as well. Someday I will get it out to take some better pics of it as well as get the serial # off of it. It would be nice to know exactly what it is. If I'm able it might be next years project. Before it gets to cold this year I have a AMF Roadmaster Jet Pilot I would like to get the basic service work completed on and back on the road. It's been sitting in the garage for a while now as well.

I have been using slime tubes on my cruisers and clunker as replacements after I get a flat. I really pound them on trails and we have a fine gravel rails to trails that gives people a lot of flats and I have had no problems with my slime tubes yet. I know people don't like them, but none of the local bike shops have any heavy duty tubes. I was forced to try them out of desperation. I just started trying them at the beginning of the summer.

I'm glad the Slime tubes have been working well for you. The one in this thread is the only experience I've had and it was well... Guess I got a defective one. The Sunlite tube I replaced it with has given me no problems and has many more miles on it than the Slime tube. Most of our roads in the country and most of our village streets are chip gravel and oil. We call it chip n seal around here. It compacts into a porous like pavement but the edges are always loose chip gravel. Never had any problems with it creating flats though. just about all my riding is chip n seal roads and gravel.

Back