Schwinn Heavy Duti built via misc. parts: Small updates

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I guess this qualifies as a build. You won't see anything groundbreaking, custom, or cool. In the past I have always just swapped parts on existing bikes to make them fit my needs. This is similar but for the first time I am going to attempt to make a bike from parts.

Frame from ind-chuckz:
P1070522.JPG

Rear wheel is a Worksman heavy duty alloy clincher with a Nexus 3 hub from ind-chuckz as well:
P1070524.JPG

Parts bin where most of the smaller items will come from:
P1070525.JPG

Bell Stream Liners that I got last year from WallyWorld for less than $10 each.

P1070526.JPG

For now the front wheel will come from this free Roadmaster Mt. Fury:

P1070527.JPG

I used Velox rim strip on the Worksman rear wheel:

P1070532.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you Luke and Wildcat. I'm surprised and grateful for the interest.

Sorry there are no in between pics of the process. I was so tired from struggling with putting it together to take pics. Ran into all sort of problems. To be expected I guess when making your first bike from what you have lying around.

Here it is in temporary configuration. The stem is definitely temporary. I only had two to choose from in 25.4mm for threaded forks. Half of a Diet Rite can had to be sacrificed to keep the the bars from moving around. Not sure about the bars, I sort of like them. Anyone have any idea what the bars are from? I'm sure some department store bike but I cannot remember seeing anything exactly like them in the past. Chain is temporary, it is a chain plus part of another attached with quick links. lol The pedals are another temporary item and came from the Mt. Fury bike. The crank assembly, seat, seat post, grips, and bars came out of the parts bin. Sadly the Nexus 3 has serious problems. Seller plans to make it right though.

P1070533.JPG

P1070534.JPG

P1070535.JPG

P1070536.JPG

P1070538.JPG

P1070539.JPG

P1070540.JPG

Yes my old backyard swing set post that is holding the bike up needs all the old layers of paint stripped off and completely redone. One of these years maybe.

More bike pics to come as parts change. I plan to leave the frame paint as is this year.

Last edited:
It is a very comfortable and roomy upright ride. I was only able to take it for a few very short test rides because of the Nexus hub issues. The back wheel is off of it now and the Nexus cartridge out for the seller to trouble shoot. Not sure I want to do anymore bikes from scratch as I have enough problems to deal with, health problems being a biggie for me. Really enjoy seeing other peoples builds here on the site.

For a quick put together concept it looks pretty good.. Thats what I do on my builds till I work the details out and it comes together as you go.. Bars almost look like Haro's but who knows.. I have some bars that almost look like those..

Thank you tonygameboy and Araya51.

My plan is to do as do Araya, swap and change things along the way to make it better. The Nexus 3 is my big concern right now. That and a new chain and a BMX style stem. I'm going to use these bars for now. They were lying in the parts bin. Almost all the parts in the bin came from a unusual deal last year where I bid on two lots of bikes and parts on eBay but lost. The items were close to me but not to the winning bidder. So he contacted me and we worked out a deal where he got the two bikes he wanted and I got the other bikes and all the parts. Worked out well for both of us. Only cost me some gas to go and pick everything up and bring them home and two bicycle boxes for shipping his two.

Quick update. Nothing was wrong with the Nexus 3, it just had the wrong push rod. Chuck accidentally sent a push rod for a longer axle Nexus model. Mistakes happen and he more than made it right.

I purchased a matching Worksman front wheel from Chuck for this bike. It has the front drum brake. This will be my first front drum brake. You can see it here:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....sman-front-wheel-drumbrake.85150/#post-835115
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....sman-front-wheel-drumbrake.85150/#post-835115

20140711_170053_zps9d2f36dd.jpg

Really excited about the font wheel. Next time I get to Mt. Vernon, Indiana I will be purchasing this yellow and black KMC Drop Buster chain from Dan's Comp for this bike.

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/464013/KMC_Drop_Buster_Chain.html

Now I need to find a BMX style 25.4mm quill stem. Will post pics once I get more items installed and after some frame cleanup.

Later this year I might change the cranks to a BMX type.

Last edited:
Thank you Brian.

The correct push/shift rod arrived today for the Nexus hub. Thank you Chuck. The top one is correct. The bottom is for a different Nexus hub with a longer axle.

P1070556.JPG

I made it across the river Tuesday to Dan's Competition to pick up a chain for this bike and to purchase some other small parts. Stopped by O'reilly Auto Parts while we were in town and bought a 1 pound container of white lithium grease. A pound of the stuff might last me the rest of my life but they sell it fairly cheap that way.

001.JPG

You can barely see the chain through the little window in the box. I was to lazy to unpack it. lol I didn't notice the graphics on the bag until after taking the pic. I had to Google that bike company because I had never heard of them. Hope to put the chain on this afternoon and reinstall the back wheel. Also, it looks like the stem and shim kit I ordered might arrive today. Maybe I will have some progress pics later on.

I must be drawn to yellow and black bikes.

Received the stem and shim combo in the mail the other day. I only used the bottom shim from it for now. It allowed me to use a 1" quill stem in the 1 1/8" fork this bike has. Found this department store BMX quill stem in the parts bin. The post on it is a little long for the shim so I had to leave some post exposed to aline the quill with the shim.

002.JPG

004.JPG

If I continue to use this stem a repaint has to happen. lol Didn't get to go on a test ride until Thursday. This thing rides super. Very low roll resistance and once started it holds forward momentum excellent, even with the cheap front wheel from the Roadmaster Mt. Fury. The front hub on that wheel adjusted great. It's a little out of true but soon it will be replaced with that Workmans. The Nexus 3 shifted flawless with the correct push rod. To bad the yellow chain doesn't come close to matching the yellow of the frame. Oh well, I never could color coordinate. I need to clean everything and shine the chrome parts up. I'm going to try and remove some of that grey primer or paint that is on the frame. I have some better alloy pedals that match them stem butI actually like the plastic ones from the Roadmaster Mt. Fury. Plus the alloys are that same purple and man that would be to much purple for me right now.

002.JPG

007.JPG

005.JPG

012.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

Current sprockets are 46/23T (correction the rear sprocket is a 22T). Original chain length was 112 links, had to add 2 links. So it's running at 114 links now. Surprisingly the chain has already devolved a bit to much slack from one 2 mile test cruise. A lot of small things need adjusting like bar angle, seat lowered a little, seat set further back on the rails, quill stem alined better, chain tightened, kick stand added.......

Last edited:
Looking good.
I'd paint the stem black and the bolt heads red to match the pinstripes.
You planning to put a chain guard?

Originally I was going to paint the lower part of the stem clamp black, the top yellow, and bolts red. But after seeing how the yellow chain ended up not matching made me realize I would probably not be able to find a yellow that matched for the top of the stem. So yeah I think back with red bolts is where I will be going with it.

Since I went BXM cruiser looking I had not intended to use the chain guard even though I like chain guards. I'm going to mount the original chain guard on the bike and see how it looks though. Might change my mind after seeing it on the bike.

I'm one of those people that can't stand not having a chain guard.
I'm unlucky and get my pants caught in the chain if I don't at least have one that goes on the chainring lol.
That and I think most bike look better with one.

To keep pants out of the chain and sprocket I wear one of my old military blousing straps on the right pant cuff. Cures that problem unless I forget the blousing strap.:grin:

Yea I hate strappin my pant leg its a pita; not to mention if you stop at a store and forget to take it off people stare lol

I've also had the bad luck a couple times of getting my shoe lace stuck in the chain. :mad:

Yeah the straps do look funny. I double tie my shoes so my laces are to short to caught. That and I tend to wear lace ends tucked into the sides of my shoes.

Back