schwinn 5speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my boss at the lbs gave this old schwinn 5speed cruiser to me today, figuring i could do something with it. looking at the ser# starts KP so that tells me its nov of 78'. right?

DSCN1308.jpg

rather rough shape, but for free! :D

DSCN1310-1.jpg

the only major gripe is that it is missing the leftside of its rear drum brake.

DSCN1309.jpg

for now i at least have front brakes, and it actually rides with me only having to tighten down the handlebar binder bolt and adj the seat. i wonder if there is anyone out there who would know where one may be for sale or should i just convert it to a single speed. i think i can find a few parts to go that way with it, but if i could get a working rear brake, i was thinking of slapping in a suspension fork and converting it hardtail and making a 15speed klunker out of it. at least i can get some picts up around here a little quicker than i used to. :roll:

i have so far just parked it behind the house and plan to dig into it this week. im a bit concerned about being able to find the missing parts to complete the rear drum brake, as id like to keep it a 5speed. if anyone knows of where i may be able to find the brake parts and/or a schwinn chainguard. look forward to getting er' road ready and deciding what to do with it. :D

i have since cleaned er' up, put on a set of whitewalls and rigged up a pair of sidepulls out back for stopping power untill if ever i find the parts for the rear wheel, but i know those will be an almost impossible find. heavier than sin, but a nice solid ride that only classic american (or in this case, chicago) steel provides. i would like to find a chainguard out there for it, not too picky as long as it'll fit on there and is schwinn. and with all the indexed advanced shifting systems i work on everyday at work, old school friction shifting takes gettin used to again. maybe with warmer weather hopefully coming, i'll get to ride it more.

Those bikes look great, I seen one parked in a building bike rack yesterday but it was red. I aint sure how it got in canada but I plan on investigating it some in hopes to convince the owner to part with it, Great score!

Great bikes. I built a BMX replica from one and it's my favorite rider. Comfort for days.

I have this bicycle. I've de-rusted it twice and a friend of a neighbor just offered to buy it. I'm reluctant to let it go, but don't ride it that often. Does anyone know what one in good condition is worth? I've been tempted to paint it yellow, but don't want to ruin it's value.

mkstam said:
I have this bicycle. I've de-rusted it twice and a friend of a neighbor just offered to buy it. I'm reluctant to let it go, but don't ride it that often. Does anyone know what one in good condition is worth? I've been tempted to paint it yellow, but don't want to ruin it's value.
I would advise to not paint it. Original state brings in more money..

Lookin at the top bar Decal., i'd say it's probably a Spitfire 5, very cool bike !

Back