SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bare polished alum holds up pretty well. Wax works good too but will give you a duller, whiter look which is nice too but you'll see the scratches more. Wax will also help with smearing and fingerprints. Never like the look of clear coated. Always turns out kind of milky.

I was looking at some shine seal stuff for boats that was expensive as well. Just leaving it polished and shining it up once in a while works great though.

May want to try a car wax called "ice", It is supposed to dry clear and not white. I have used it on painted surfaces and chrome and it works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T...g_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z59G4YB9W7ECK0NZ8ZPN
71KvjQjNx5L._SL1500_.jpg

I have to take my wife's car by the detail shop. I may take my frame with me and get them to give it one last buff and see what they use to cover polished aluminum wheels.

B THIS BIKE JUST OOZES COOL AND ALOT OF EGGHEAD JR DETAILS. YOUR DEXTERITY SHOULD BE OFF THE CHARTS WITH ALL OF THAT POLISHING. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

First I gotta share this. When I stopped off at the local detail shop, the owner pointed back in the shop for me to look at a tandem he had. I turned around didn't give a ratzbooty about a tandem.

20160715_165235.jpg

He gave me some stuff to use to seal the polished Duralium. I'll test it in a lesser seen area first.

Anyway this morning was spent picking some nice flip bikes, then I worked on SaltHammer II.

Got the racktank mounting figured out as well as mounting up the chainguard. I had to go with a smaller Monark style chainring I had, because my chains won't fit my old one. I'll end up pulling all of this off for a final buffing.

20160716_153854.jpg

I just wanted to get some of the stuff on for a mock up to see how the painted surfaces played with the polished frame. I am very pleased.

20160716_154338.jpg
20160716_154344.jpg

20160716_154352.jpg

Laid on the scrap fender to see if I was gonna like the fender darting I was thinking of. Not really feeling it.

20160716_154608.jpg
20160716_154613.jpg

One thought I had around fender darts was to add red in a similar pattern to this Shelby.

largesmaller-1.jpg

Now that I see the silver fenders next along with the polished frame, silver racktank guard, I'm thinking something a little more subtle. There will still be some red accents, but not as much red as you see on the Shelby fenders above.

Here are some more mockup pics with the polished frame.

20160716_160310.jpg
20160716_160320.jpg
20160716_160338.jpg
20160716_160350.jpg
20160716_160700.jpg

Anyway, darts might be cool. But will paint stick without etching primer?

Looking sweet. All those silvers are blending very nicely. COBRA!!..:eek:..thanks for snaggin' a pic of it for us.

Anyway, darts might be cool. But will paint stick without etching primer?

Fender darts...the fenders are painted...dangit Falstaff pay attention..:21:

I agree with subtle with the red on the fenders. Something like the rim accent maybe? That's nice and subtle. Fenders look great in that silver!

Looking sweet. All those silvers are blending very nicely. COBRA!!..:eek:..thanks for snaggin' a pic of it for us.

Fender darts...the fenders are painted...dangit Falstaff pay attention..:21:

I agree with subtle with the red on the fenders. Something like the rim accent maybe? That's nice and subtle. Fenders look great in that silver!
Oh yea, three tails too.
Man, I'm not old enough to have a bad memory.

Is it possible to match the color of the lettering on the tank for the darts and pinstripe the red accent. But the lettering is outlined in black so might conflict ?
I was thinking that with the Moon logos and the Gaskill's lettering, a gold/yellow and black scallop, teardrop or dart might be the way to go.

Is it possible to match the color of the lettering on the tank for the darts and pinstripe the red accent. But the lettering is outlined in black so might conflict ?

I was thinking that with the Moon logos and the Gaskill's lettering, a gold/yellow and black scallop, teardrop or dart might be the way to go.

Thanks guys! Now my brain is swirling. I can see playing the Mooneyes yellow/black vibe in a subtle non cartooney way could be awesome for this bike. Red was stuck in my head as the accent color, but my brain is in overdrive right now. That's the beauty of the build offs. I think the idea sharing makes our builds much better than if they were done in a vacuum.

Of course the trick with using yellow and black is making sure it doesn't end up looking like freaking Pikachu. LOL :banana:

Maybe the inside of the fenders in red?

Actually the inside of the fenders are still red. I only painted the tops silver.

index.php

Actually, I'm shifting my thinking away from red accents. Subtle yellow and black are on my mind right now

Back