SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool light, perfect for a Schwinn 'World' too!
I actually like the black ducktail fenders, subtle almost miss it on the first look style cool... Not really the sort of thing you want in a build-off though I guess, where many people just glance at one photo and cast a vote...

Luke.

Thanks for the compliments on the light guys.
- Got another coat of red on the rims, but in this humidity it will take a couple of days before it's cured enough for the discs.
- Filed down the front and rear lips of the racktank for it to fit the frame better and to make it horizontal. Still have to mount it.
- Added the curved brace for the front Shelby fender.
- Found a dogleg Monark chainring that I'm thinking about using. It takes 1/2" pedals so I threw on some fat ones that I doubt I'll use.
- Test fit the fender skirts a little more.
- Couldn't put the disc wheels on yet because of paint, so I threw the fat / skinny wheelset I got from Tyler. Decided the fat / skinny doesn't work so well with fat front fender. Also discovered that the Hank wasn't any bigger than a ThickSlick.
- Mounted the headlight

Can't wait until I can get Moon wheels on again, but couldn't wait to see how the other pieces flowed. Still hard to visually see with the contrasting black and primer of the fenders and skirts. Still thinking through the paint options on those.

20160703_195040.jpg
20160703_195048.jpg
20160703_195104.jpg
20160703_195113.jpg
20160703_195129.jpg
20160703_195152.jpg
20160703_195212.jpg
20160703_195225.jpg
20160703_195242.jpg
20160703_195321.jpg
20160703_195347.jpg

I really like the light with the glass globe in it , but not sure it fit well with the thank that is so much lower

i like the fenders ! :thumbsup:

I really like the light with the glass globe in it , but not sure it fit well with the thank that is so much lower

i like the fenders ! :thumbsup:

I think I am fine with the light not lining up with the tank. I even had starsNbars headlight above the bars. I'll keep that perspective in mind though.

If it were my project I'd omit the skirt guards...seem to compete with chainguard and tank for visual effect. Light is superb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering colors...
It's a No paint frame (obviously)
So do you bare metal it all...
or silver out the fenders and guards...
and weather to match the tank?

Carl.

Actually I was planning to paint the frame black to match the fenders

I'm kind of feeling Carl (well, not literally obviously) on the paint....a matte silver on the fenders and skirt guards (which I like on there!) and then paint-ina to match the natural wear on all the other parts. Of course, that may all change once the disks are back on....or could they be 'aged' as well? I know it's not in your usual wheelhouse, but this thing has a great 'original condition' vibe to it...

Of course I was joking about painting the frame black. Great minds think alike. I thought that I had already said I was painting the fenders and skirts silver when I tested the hammered antique pewter on a scrap fender. Thanks for validating my thoughts guys. That's what I love about the BOs.

I was taping for first coat of hammered silver as you were typing.

20160704_140054.jpg

Oh yeah! Daggumit, you're trying to get one of my precious votes again, ain't ja Royal ichthus?

I just have to concentrate on finishing. Way too early for any of us to worry about votes Mr noneven trade. (just to be clear, this is just a play on the your name, Odd = Noneven and Job = Trade)

The cheaper hammered silver is looking to be a darker hue than the hammered antique pewter I tried before. The contrast may be good. We'll have to wait til it drys. Gonna paint the frontfender and other skirt with the pewter now.

20160704_142012.jpg

Last edited:
Getting the red linewheels back together . Heat index 114

20160704_150242.jpg

20160704_151101.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it was a toss up between painting the frame black or turquoise. :emo::rockout:

Back