Rust removal with Nevr-Dull

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A coworker of mine that's into motorcycles recommended Nevr-Dull to me for rust removal/chrome polishing. I thought I'd give it a shot and write a short review on it.
I bought the can at Walmart for about $5.

IMG_0748 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
Opening the can, it looks like cotton wading and smells like kerosine.

IMG_0749 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
I tested it out on my wife's 20" nanner project.
I thought it worked pretty good.
Before:
IMG_0750 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
After:
IMG_0751 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
And here's what it did on the rim:
IMG_0753 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
For all of the above, I used this much:

IMG_0752 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
While not a "golden bullet" for rust removal, I thought it did a pretty good job. I liked the fact it didn't leave swirl marks in the chrome. It also worked well on the cad platted seat post clamp.
In conclusion, I'd say this product should work good for cleaning up light to very light rust on chrome/cad parts.

I agree; I hit parts with this after I've cleaned the rust off with steel wool. It also works nicely for aluminum or stainless fenders and brass headbadges. Again, they should already be partly cleaned with something more aggressive.

TIP: NAVAL JELLY! That pink gel works wonders.. every time i buy a bike with rusty party i put that stuff on every little detail and let it sit on there 5 minutes and rinse off,, a few times if needed and always removes almost everything.. dont let it sit on the paint though.. it'll eat it up.
after it dries, then polish it with WENOL CHROME POLISH.. best metal polish i've ever used.. and you may have new looking chrome!

I picked up a product called Chromax at my LBS...hands down the best chrome polish I've ever used. Has some grit to it and knocks rust and corrosion right off.

I've always used Simichrome(Germans and their magic concoctions) and 0000 steel wool. Got to use some force but it comes out very nice. To each his own!

Back