RRB BUILD OFF #5 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cman said:
xddorox said:
Coolest picture of Build Off #5

Reminds me of Fast Eddie
Which reminds me of this one:

FrankNStine.jpg

lobsterboyx said:
is it just me or are some of these bikes bending the rules a bit?

as i hit submit i realized that some might see that as an ebaneezer quote, but i love all the bikes in the build off, i just want to see everyone riding them!! :mrgreen:
bending and breaking are 2 different things!

Hooch said:
lobsterboyx said:
is it just me or are some of these bikes bending the rules a bit?

as i hit submit i realized that some might see that as an ebaneezer quote, but i love all the bikes in the build off, i just want to see everyone riding them!! :mrgreen:
bending and breaking are 2 different things!
+1

Yes...some folks are definitely bending the rules here.

Part of me wants to say.....just do whatever and build a cool looking bike.

Another part of me wants to keep the playing field relatively even since we don't all weld and fabricate.

Adding bars to frames and attaching complete rear ends to a stock frame is definitely pushing it...especially when you're welding stuff on.

This build off is definitely evolving each year so I'm sort of at a point where I'm just scratching my head about it all. :?

easy answer....if those who think a particular bike is breaking the rules.......dont vote for it :wink:
really though....i recall a build off where someone built one of my favorite bikes and didnt have it in the voting since frame swaps werent allowed then(still in my very short list of all time great builds to this day :mrgreen: )

just have fun & push yourself and youll all win :!:

I was thinking there was at least one flagrant clear violation of #9, but I can't recall who :? , and it might just be in the regular build section. Too many entries for my noggin to remember. :roll: I guess you could always have a post your eligibility challenge thread, and a small panel of judges to vote up or down on them. Rejected entries could be exiled to the Bike Builds forum. Don't vote for it does seem to be the least complicated answer, though.

I hope i don't get picked for jury duty, I'll never get my bike finished in time.

As one of the rule-benders I'll chime in here.
Basically, I'm just trying to stay on the radar. There are alot of highly skilled builders bringin' their "A" game. Lots of intense fabrication, plated parts, and it seems that half the field is getting brand new wheelsets. I spent a lot of money the last time, I got 3 votes. So I went Rat this time around.
When you push the rules in a way you're kinda' writing them. I don't want other contestants to be able to weld on frame extensions so I went with a bolt on. Anyone with a drill, a hacksaw, and a file can do what I've done. Looking at Hooch's bike (with him riding it)makes me think that extension was a necessity! :)

This whole thing kinda' reminds me of BattleBots. It went from My Buddy riding a Big Wheel to the $50,000 War Machine just so someone could get their mug on TV. Evolution and rule bending are just natural parts of the process. Some new rule clarifications may be necessary, but I know Steve is trying to keep it simple.

i normally don't get involved in these discussions but as one of the members that does not have a welder i'll offer my opinion for what it's worth.

i would think the easiest way to keep things on level ground would be to simply eliminate the welding option. even though it's legal on this build it still isn't an option for me and many other members simply because we do not own a welder, in fact i don't even know anyone that does. in turn, i've really had to pull out all the stops on my build off entry just to try and compete with the field this year and although i was lucky enough to come up with some stuff people have never seen or done before i fear that if welding remains legal that to be competitive in next years build off will require more extensive work/fabrication than i or most members have the ability to do. it would seem that if welding were off the table most everyone would have more of a fair chance.

again, just my opinion for what it's worth...

I think what gets lost in all of this , if your having night sweats worring about your build ...walk away, this is supposed to be FUN!!!!! , And the rules are printed black & white , if you think your violating a rule...you probably are....just continue on the basis of what your building and state it in the final pics, that there may be a question of rule # ....every year it gets more intense....just don't let it burn you out.

Gold Street Customs said:
I think what gets lost in all of this , if your having night sweats worring about your build ...walk away, this is supposed to be FUN!!!!!.

oh i'm definitely having fun as i'm sure many others are as well, thinking outside the box and coming up with new ideas is and always will be a blast for me. even if i never enter another build off in my life i'll keep building bikes and having a good time riding and showing them off. all i'm saying is wouldn't it be great if the bucks down, basic hand tools average joe could have fun in the future too?...

fenderhole said:
Gold Street Customs said:
I think what gets lost in all of this , if your having night sweats worring about your build ...walk away, this is supposed to be FUN!!!!!.

oh i'm definitely having fun as i'm sure many others are as well, thinking outside the box and coming up with new ideas is and always will be a blast for me. even if i never enter another build off in my life i'll keep building bikes and having a good time riding and showing them off. all i'm saying is wouldn't it be great if the bucks down, basic hand tools average joe could have fun in the future too?...
I agree with the tool thing....I think we need a tool ....post to show what is actually being used to build or what people have made to build with....just a thought

Back