Robins Nest

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like that 35 Columbia has a Morrow back there. That being said, dubs on the hub.
Thanks. It has been a minute since my last. I think it was on a Snyder I had. That's gonna take some think 🤔

I'm gonna need to completely rebuild the door opening on the other side as it's rotted away I think, but that should be it for the heavy work I'll do.

Fz

Great collection you've got there! I really dig the CWC bikes. And the corn does make a good photo backdrop. :cool:

View attachment 248139
Coming home in a couple weeks.
['35 Columbia]
This one's no rush to the finish. The door on the other side of the tank is rotted off and it'll need some love to get sound enough to ride but I am EXCITED.
This looks like the one that was for sale over on the CABE? It seemed like a pretty good deal to me but too far away to be practical for me to buy it. Love it! Nice score, looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Great collection you've got there! I really dig the CWC bikes. And the corn does make a good photo backdrop. :cool:

This looks like the one that was for sale over on the CABE? It seemed like a pretty good deal to me but too far away to be practical for me to buy it. Love it! Nice score, looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
😄 thanks a bunch. It's been a lot of fun this time getting back "in season".

That's the one!
I wasn't comfortable posting about it until the deposit landed and the ad was removed, of course but I can't stop Staring at it. 😆⏰

I'm gonna ride it mostly a total crust cake. The type of ride that falls apart a little more each time you ride it. Leaks like a civ.. but it's just got that feel.
Full reservicing and age left alone entirely.
As for the tank,. That's gonna take a few more nights sleep before I have a plan but one is brewing and I like the idea of rivets.. 🤔😉

Fz

Can't blame you, that's a great looking bike!

Love it!

Interesting. If it's got collector value I'd be cautious about permanent mods but I like your thinking!
I'm afraid anything done to the tank will only improve its value at this point, but I am always wary of adding permanent changes in unless it's to help the overall wholeness or integrity of the bike to be useful and practical again. I am sure gonna love riding it just as a frame and rack for a while 😄

Fz

Have you ever seen a twisted heart with standard chain? Maybe skiptooth is what makes them more rare
@MattiThundrrr

Hi Matti. The twisted heart chainwheels were made for a 1/2” chain too. I believe they were used on late 50’s to early 60’s Hawthorne and Western Flyer branded bikes made by CWC. I have seen a couple on ebay.

@MattiThundrrr

Hi Matti. The twisted heart chainwheels were made for a 1/2” chain too. I believe they were used on late 50’s to early 60’s Hawthorne and Western Flyer branded bikes made by CWC. I have seen a couple on ebay.
All mine have been 1950-54 on all otherwise stock models.

Fz

All mine have been 1950-54 on all otherwise stock models.

Fz
50-54 CWC was still using skiptooth chains with 1” spacing. I believe they began using a standard 1/2” chain later that decade. I have only ever seen one CWC built bike with a twisted heart chainwheel for a 1/2” chain and I’m sure it was a lady’s model Ward’s Hawthorne built either in the late 50’s or early 60’s.

Last edited:
50-54 CWC was still using skiptooth chains with 1” spacing. I believe they began using a standard 1/2” chain later that decade. I have only ever seen one CWC built bike with a twisted heart chainwheel for a 1/2” chain and I’m sure it was a lady’s model Ward’s Hawthorne built either in the late 50’s or early 60’s.
Oh oh oh, we're talking half pitch. Gotcha gotcha. Yes. Cleveland was one of the last to phase it out and AMF used up what they had left before converting over.
Correct. One of the last companies to go over the 1/2". I thought we were saying only later AMF models had them and I was like?! I've never seen one of these on a bike past roughly 1954 with a skip. I myself have never seen a standard model but I wouldn't be surprised they exist. Just never seen one myself. No doubt there's one out there.

Fz

Thanks guys. These casual chats are so important to get that history out into the digital space. That's the advantage that forums have over social media. All of this will be searchable for new ratters

Cool. I regret not buying that 1/2” pitch chainwheel a while back!
It would have been AMF made, I reckon! I'd have liked to test it versus a Cleveland made one in solidity and quality overall. We know AMF kinda peeled away the quality overall,. Lighter materials all around., but to have a version would be awesome.

SEPT. 30th, 2023
1952 CWC Hawthorne All-American
Snapchat-1596099288.jpg

This one came to us recently from a VERY cool Kat new to the hobby, named Jacob.
Guys got a great eye [obviously] and happens to be one of a few in his area helping him learn and grow as a collector.

We [ @melancholera and I] met him through his ad posted via some of the pages on Facebook I follow just to see what's happening, keep in the know with what's going around the circles. TMYK, I guess but in this event, something came up I knew I couldn't do without [again] and in turn we met a new friend I didn't know I needed as well.

His enthusiasm despite being a little older than I am is reminiscent of my own when I began with all this. Excited, inquisitive, always at the ready with another question or something he found to scratch the itch for a little longer that he wants to share.
received_6639619076125183.jpeg

This was the first ride I took on it in his backyard, thanks to Melancholera . BEAUTIFUL place and well worth the drive into Michigan for the scenery alone this time of year, let alone all the awesomeness that ensued talking bikes and motorcycles and the community.

This next one Melancholera also took of another of his bikes. An original paint prewar Hawthorne! Just Beautiful to look it over and give a little insight on era, parts and condition. Hes NFS on this one and up close it was clear to see why.
received_3628803037403829.jpeg

It was a great time at a great time.
Big thanks to Meancholera and Jacob both for making it this Awesome memory.

R.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back