Roadent

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of other folks making wonderful progress on some very cool rides around here. I'm still getting ramped up myself, and I'm fine with that. Received this new Park cable tool in the mail yesterday. After putting together a nice rider to get some exercise, I'd say my goal for this build is to make the cable installation look as if this is the 10,000th time I've done this, not the first. Gotta have the right tools for that, and this cutter should fit the bill. Always nice to add a tool to the box.

Let me count my blessings. I've got a nice garage to work in with plenty of space. Out of the picture, behind me, there is a utility closet with a sink and hot and cold running water. Basically, I'm building bicycles in a space that's nicer, and safer, than what a lot of people call home across this world. Not only that, but my Baby Doll parked her car in here for 15 years before we got married. Since taking our vows she has parked outside, and I have cluttered it up with bicycles and motorcycles for the last three years. She is the Best Wife Ever. I am very blessed, Lord ....., and I thank You for my wonderful, easy life.

furyus

I like your 'space'! And neatness is always a plus with me as well.
Those cable cutters will serve you just fine. Have had mine since 1988. Just don't use them to cut anything but derailleur and brake cable. I have a separate cutter for the housing that also doubles as a cable end crimper. After building 5-6 geared bikes from scratch, and hundreds of repairs, you find out what works for each application.

If you have any specific questions along the way with your new build I'd be happy to give my two cents. Rat on!

Same here, if you have any questions. I think I'm pretty good with cabling, particularly unconventional routing, but if you're keeping the downtube friction shifters, those are pretty straightforward and not as fussy as indexers.

Let me count my blessings. I've got a nice garage to work in with plenty of space. Out of the picture, behind me, there is a utility closet with a sink and hot and cold running water. Basically, I'm building bicycles in a space that's nicer, and safer, than what a lot of people call home across this world. Not only that, but my Baby Doll parked her car in here for 15 years before we got married. Since taking our vows she has parked outside, and I have cluttered it up with bicycles and motorcycles for the last three years. She is the Best Wife Ever. I am very blessed, Lord ....., and I thank You for my wonderful, easy life.

furyus
Amen.

I like your 'space'! And neatness is always a plus with me as well.
Those cable cutters will serve you just fine. Have had mine since 1988. Just don't use them to cut anything but derailleur and brake cable. I have a separate cutter for the housing that also doubles as a cable end crimper. After building 5-6 geared bikes from scratch, and hundreds of repairs, you find out what works for each application.

If you have any specific questions along the way with your new build I'd be happy to give my two cents. Rat on!

I appreciate your kind words and offer of assistance. Hope kindness is returned to you.

furyus

Same here, if you have any questions. I think I'm pretty good with cabling, particularly unconventional routing, but if you're keeping the downtube friction shifters, those are pretty straightforward and not as fussy as indexers.

Thank you for your offer of help. Are these questions limited to cable routing or can I ask anything I want?

furyus

Those cutters are a great tool to have. Just don't cut any cables close to where they clamp as they can fray real bad. Leave at least an inch or 2 of extra cable past where it clamps.

I've been stabbing myself repeatedly the past few days on frayed cable. Nice rusty frayed cable, too. Stuff sure pokes easy.

furyus

Of course the offer is open to anything, but I'm most confident with my cable routing abilities compared to other things and I'm fussy about their appearance (probably because I worked in telecommunications so long).

Of course the offer is open to anything, but I'm most confident with my cable routing abilities compared to other things and I'm fussy about their appearance (probably because I worked in telecommunications so long).

Cool. I'm fussy, too. If the routing is wrong the whole bike is ruined.

I'm certain at this point my vast audience is asking themselves "is this guy actually going to build anything?" Actually, yes, but I'm still savoring the suspense-building stage.

furyus

Yeah, they can stab you pretty good! I always just rip out old cables and toss them partly to prevent unplanned blood donations, but keep the housing to use as a reference (when it is actually helpful, like a rear deraillure ... deraileure ... I don't speak French and my mind is glitching on the spelling—derailer). I find a lot of bikes from the shop use excessive housing, I assume because it's a little quicker to not be so exact and it's easier to keep the friction down with the wider curves they make, which reduces return visits from annoyed customers, but it looks messy to me and usually clatters and slaps more and I find those kinds of stupid things to be incredibly annoying, especially when they can scare wildlife away before I get a chance to see it.

Anyway, if you're doing your road bike with handlebar shifters and the braze-on cable stops are under the down tube, I always cross the shift cables (Egon, you said crossing the streams was bad.). There's an insignificant bit of friction at the cables where they cross, but you gain far more in lost resistance because the curves in the housing from the bars are wider due to them going around the opposite side of the head tube. Aesthetically, I also think it looks better, but with index combined brake/shift levers, the shift improvement is much more important. I had typed a whole lot more about issues I've had with different types, but realized it would bore most people and you're probably doing friction, so it would be completely superfluous.

I find a lot of bikes from the shop use excessive housing, I assume because it's a little quicker to not be so exact and it's easier to keep the friction down with the wider curves they make, which reduces return visits from annoyed customers, but it looks messy to me and usually clatters and slaps more and I find those kinds of stupid things to be incredibly annoying, especially when they can scare wildlife away before I get a chance to see it.

I want to avoid excessive housing - looks bad. The reason I've always built little coaster Sting-Rays is because they're so clean and elemental to me. I had to go outside my little box with this build, and since I really don't have the fabricating thing going on, cables and them French thingamajigs seemed different enough.

Anyway, if you're doing your road bike with handlebar shifters and the braze-on cable stops are under the down tube, I always cross the shift cables (Egon, you said crossing the streams was bad.). There's an insignificant bit of friction at the cables where they cross, but you gain far more in lost resistance because the curves in the housing from the bars are wider due to them going around the opposite side of the head tube. Aesthetically, I also think it looks better, but with index combined brake/shift levers, the shift improvement is much more important. I had typed a whole lot more about issues I've had with different types, but realized it would bore most people and you're probably doing friction, so it would be completely superfluous.

I will be using my down tube shifters - nothing outrageous here. Most Varsitys have the stem mounted shifters, widely considered a downgrade, and I'm wanting to keep the early 60's flavor.

furyus

Downtube shifters are definitely better. Stem shifters were generally used on lower end bikes, but snobbism aside, I find them awkward to use and aesthetically challenging.

Life and work preempt devoting as much time as I would like to Roadent, but here's photographic evidence and a bump to show I'm still playin'.

Roadent is on the bench in the background, a '66 Continental is on the stand and another '63 Varsity sits on the floor. A '65 Varsity and a '64 Continental have both been organ donors and are now on their way to China to become new Schwinns. Basically just studying how these bikes work and stashing nice bits and pieces. We're five weeks in and I have a bare frame. Woohoo!

furyus

Last edited:
Stirrings at furyus garage...

Gave her a bath. Paint atually brighter than in the pic, but she has lots of wear and tear, and rust. It's all staying.

BO11H.jpg

Taped off around all the decals on the frame and shot the decals with a matte clear. Towards the bottom of the seat tube you can barely make out the old dealer sticker, at least what's left of it.
Can't see any difference after spraying, which is exactly what I wanted.

BO11I.jpg

I used this Krylon matte clear and it worked great. The rest of the frame is being cleaned and protected by Gibbs lubricant. Cleans and coats the paint, and rust, without leaving an oily residue (once dried). Repels dust and water, too. Fantastic stuff with may uses; highly recommended. I no longer use any kind of compound or wax on OG paint on any of my bikes.

BO11J.jpg

Studying this derailleur thing; forgive my ignorance. Test mule on the stand is another '63. Glimpse of wheel I picked up as well, with a six-speed freewheel. Managed to adjust the derailleur, using the little screw with the spring (bottom center of pic), so that it would stretch through the entire cluster. It wouldn't at first, so it felt good to figure it out. So this is what it feels like to be Sheldon Brown! God bless you, Sheldon.

BO11K.jpg

The action wasn't very smooth, but the shifter cable is binding, the chain is rusted, the freewheel is cruddy, and the derailleur is grimy. I expect much better once I'm using cleaner bits on Roadent. Gotta admit I'm enjoying something beyond single-speed coasters for a change.

Speaking of bits, got some in the mail. New Velo Orange brake cable kit and derailleur cable kit. Hat tip to Igor for excellent customer service and communication.

BO11L.jpg

New Park chain tool and a NOS Wippermann chain from the early 80's. Love Wippermanns, run them on my Sting-Rays.

BO11M.jpg

Waiting for just a couple bits to arrive, and a little more experimentation with set-up and I'll actually start putting Roadent together. Should have her done long before the October 1 deadline.

furyus

Are you using the Schwinn long levers? I've found that those derailleurs can be difficult to position without them. (Or a Stingray stick with overload spring.) :39: Uh, you're not putting a stick on you're down tube, are you? o_O :crazy:

Those are nice cables. Nice work getting the derailleur figured out. Sheldon's site has just about everything. I always think of him when I'm making some kind of homemade adaptor.

Are you using the Schwinn long levers? I've found that those derailleurs can be difficult to position without them. (Or a Stingray stick with overload spring.) :39: Uh, you're not putting a stick on you're down tube, are you? o_O :crazy:

Man, you weren't supposed to say anything! Actually did think of it, times two. Couple of the old 5-speed shifters with the round knob ('66). One at eleven o'clock of the top tube and the other at 1, if that makes sense. I'll be using down tube shifters.

furyus

Those are nice cables. Nice work getting the derailleur figured out. Sheldon's site has just about everything. I always think of him when I'm making some kind of homemade adaptor.

Never thought I'd say it, but derailleurs are fun. Pretty ingenious little things. I've always felt they were made simply to frustrate the scrap out of whoever was unfortunate enough to be wanting to use one. Maybe I should be a little more open-minded.

Sheldon is still helping me out. Hope he's well.

furyus

Latest posts

Back