Road Bike Help?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of road bikes that came into my possession. One I wish to restore and sell. It seems worth it. The other is not. The other is a cheap Canadian Tire model from the 80's that is in rough shape. I'd like to rat the thing but my issue is no welder. I don't have one, can't buy one and don't know anyone that has one. Does anyone have any ideas or links they could share that I could get inspiration on? The only thing I know for sure I want to do is flip the handle bars and extend them so I sit more upright on the bike instead of hunching over thing. Other than that I'm limited on what I can do without a welder. Any thoughts?

I think my terminology is possibly wrong. A racing bike?
spec_dlc_blk_08_m.jpg

Similar to this only the old version. Straight frame, curled bars. Thin tires. I flipped the handle bars already so the "horns" aim back from over the top. I have aluminum tube to extend the "horns" back towards the rider.
Thank you for responding already. :D

I love hotrodbikes made out of straightbar roadbikes. I can't weld eighter so I have tried other ways to fabricate and customize
Here's what I have done to mine:

This...
mix_herr_rudolf_1.jpg

Became this...
mix_116.jpg

And a year after it became this...
mix_175.jpg

And shortly after that:
mix_203.jpg

For more detailed build- and fabricationpics check out the Billet Bullet-buildthread.

Here's another one:
sport_1.jpg

Became this...
sport_179.jpg

Not as much fabrication as the blue bike but still ...a homemade/customized rack, tankplate, fender, and seat.

For more detailed build- and fabricationpics check out the Cartboardtracker-buildthread.

Thanks herr_rudolf! I like your designs. I had thought that to get the look I'm after meant chopping and welding but I think that will be another project in the future. I can get some really cool looks like you did without having to weld. I think I have enough to draw inspiration from to tackle the bike this week. I'll post progress pictures as I go.

Consider making it into a fixed-gear single-speed as well.

Don't discredit the drop bars too quickly. I was used to riding more upright bikes when I got my first drop-bar bike about a year ago. First thing is, there is some adjustment that can be made in how high the bars are (reversed stem, spacers, etc.). When I first got mine, the bike shop had it set up with the bars about as high as they could be placed, and that seemed awfully low and made my back a little sore. But with just a little riding, that changed into being comfortable, and since then, after riding a bunch and losing some more weight, I've got where it's also pretty comfortable to ride in the drops when I need to (as in, going fast, or riding into a headwind.).

Single speed sounds good. I've ridden with the drop bars before and I'm fine with them. Unfortunately back problems keep me from enjoying it. I flipped the bars and aimed them back at the rider and plan on extending them. I have another road/racer bike that I plan on restoring to original condition. Hopefully when I solve my back issues I can enjoy it instead of selling. Thanks for the advice I'll keep it in mind.

Sorry to hear about your backproblems. Hope they disappear soon...

Honestly I think the idea of flipped dropped bars is questionable... I've never seen a bike with that AND at the same time looks good. Try finding 'regular' but old-style bars with a little rise. But then again, there are dropped bars and ...there are DROPPED BARS. I haven't seen your bars and bike so maybe I should shut up now. :wink:

Show us a pic or to of what your working with.

Forgot to say you should definately take a look at these bikes. I think they are my favorite when it comes to style AND rideability.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23043&start=45#p313409

Yes it's hard to explain without a visual to what I have in mind. I've done a fast mock up and I like what I see. I dismantled the bike before I joined the forum so now I need to do an original mock up to get the "before" picture! :lol: I plan on starting a thread in the build section with lots of pictures to share.
Thanks for the new thread too I love those looks as well... decisions, decisions... :?

I'll get working this week on it with any luck. Although I just got word that there are some vintage bikes tucked away at my girlfriends cottage that I am welcome to if I want them. I may be taking a 3 hour drive to go get them... (who am I kidding? "may" more like "will") :mrgreen:

Back