REAPER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll introduce my current "main build"...... REAPER IS MY '49 Schwinn B-6 that I pulled (legally, and with permission) out of a flower/rock bed of the previous owner. The rear wheel was missing, rear fender mangled, and just over all a mess. Here's a "before" shot the on the day I brought it home:

When I posted it in the FRESH FINDS, I think I got a comment of how it could make a good parts bike. No offense to whoever said that and I didn’t take it offensively. In fact, that’s what got me going on rebuilding it...So thanks!

Now me being me, I can’t leave anything alone. The front fender & headlight are really what inspired me to build what I am building.

Enough for now…..I’ll get more pics to post soon. The whole story will be shared when it’s completed. Hopefully around the holidays……

Faces and names have been altered to protect the innocent....

I just got my 24x4 rear wheel & tire put together. The LBS that laced the rear wheel tried to talk me out if what I wanted but did it anyway. They said they have never done one like this before....

The cat is "Snickers". I was working along the interstate one night in a construction zone in a rural area and this little ugly fluffy thing walked out of the weeds and started rubbing against my boots. She's been my little psycho kitty ever since!!

You just REALLY must have a VERY understanding "better half" there..i know if mine came home and found a bike on the kitchen table..I would be in the doghouse !! Really cool bike though !! Can't wait to see it finished !!!

Chips_Mahoy said:
Now me being me, I can’t leave anything alone. The front fender & headlight are really what inspired me to build what I am building.
I agree that front fender looks sweet :mrgreen:

Peatbog said:
Cool bike.

That person holding the bike has a blank look on her face.

I'd keep an eye on that cat. It looks to be up to no good.
lawled :lol:

old school 64 said:
You just REALLY must have a VERY understanding "better half" there..i know if mine came home and found a bike on the kitchen table..I would be in the doghouse !! Really cool bike though !! Can't wait to see it finished !!!

After 15 years this isn't much of a shocker.... Could be worse :mrgreen:

Every time mine looks out into what used to be a 2 car garage (14 bikes now inhabit it..and some car parts..) and gives me that "huff"...i just tell her, "hey..i am not out at the bars..and not chasing skirts"...usually smooths it over until i find another bike on CL... :D

Chips_Mahoy said:
old school 64 said:

After 15 years this isn't much of a shocker.... Could be worse :mrgreen:

Mine did that too For the first 15. I've brought home over 60 bikes since June of this year and now I'm getting threatened to have them hung on the walls. Sounds like a win win to me!!

I'll be able to post pics of some of the frame mods on Reaper next week. I didn't have the camera/phone with me this time.....

Peatbog said:
That person holding the bike has a blank look on her face.

I re-read that today.....Aaron wanted to let you know that he's not a girl..... :mrgreen:

I worked on repairing the headlight housing on the front fender today. It was split where the front screw goes in it. I glass beaded the break then put in a couple nothches in each side to give the epoxy more surface area to bond to. Once it's cured I'll start filing and sanding the area to it's original shape and then paint it to match the rest of the bike.

On a side note..... I wanted to give thanks to Alan at Cycles US/Choppers US. I'm lovin' the wheel & tire I bought from there! I think it'll be a main focal point on the bike!

Ha ha..i just read your reply to her, she corrected me that there are 23 in the garage..i told her about your 6o since June..you just got me off the hook !! She has been buying the bike hanging hooks for me now.. :D

Chips_Mahoy said:
Mine did that too For the first 15. I've brought home over 60 bikes since June of this year and now I'm getting threatened to have them hung on the walls. Sounds like a win win to me!!

I'll be able to post pics of some of the frame mods on Reaper next week. I didn't have the camera/phone with me this time.....

old school 64 said:
..you just got me off the hook !!

Happy to help!! :wink:

Got the front tire on the rim today, but had to learn the hard way about putting tires on old Schwinn wheels..... :x Thanks to another member I was enlightened.... :oops: The bad thing is I don't get to use the wheel I really wanted to. The one I ended up with will work just fine but it's not the same.

PICS ADDED!!

I checked the headlight housing last night and was disappointed to see that the epoxy didn't hold. I cleaned it all up and went with a plan B of sorts. I hope it hold this time...

The rear frame was widened to accomodate the extra large 24x4.25 rear tire.

A Schwinn OCC Stingray sacrificed itself to be a donor for REAPER. The extra wide crank & shell had to be used to be able to run the chain in a straight line because ofthe new rear tire. The welds will be cleaned up later.

The fender bracket/frame brace was removed for the widening and then replaced to keep the stock look. These welds will be cleaned too. I also wanted to use the original sprocket. The pedals and arms are up for debate as to their use.

The frame is a little low in this pic but I wanted a visual reference for later. I'm running a 26x2.125 front tire on a 26x1.5 wheel. It almost looks cartoonish in this pic w/o the seat & handlebars.

That's it for now.....more to come later!!

DO WANT! I can just see it and all its ridiculous beastlyness! I can imagine it with one of those gnarly massive landspeed style crank gears pulled out of an exercise bike, and I LIKE those cartoonish proportions. I need to get me a frame like this and do something myself now lol. Keep us posted on the progress!

Thanks again! All the great comments just fuel the build fire! 8)

Something I keep forgetting to post is I'm in need of a headlight lens for the original headlight housing. It doesnt have to be perfect. Yellowed or cracked is okay, just nothing w/ a big hole in it......thanks!

Back