RATTLE RAT "I BUILT A HOOPTIE"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RATTLE RAT

For better or worse, here it is. My first completed bicycle repaint.
I used three 8oz cans of color & one clear. Very little primer. A quart of stripper. The job cost 40 bucks.
What I liked about the Dupli-Color was the ease of application. Just seems to work best for me.
Had some adhesion issues. Though they were minimal they were annoying. I will use an aggressive primer in the future.
The depth of the emerald pearl was far better than I expected given that I used very little paint. Overall I'm stoked :p

HPIM5514.jpg

HPIM5516.jpg

HPIM5517.jpg

HPIM5518.jpg

I think it looks pretty good, especially that its your first. I was re-reading the 'prep' stuff and agree that neutralizing the stripper, if used, and the best primer base possible, and that well cleaned before colorcoat, should solve a lot of any potential problem.
Of course, I maybe 'over-research' about anything , but you have encouraged me.

Very nice. I would recommend buying a stand since I would never place a freshly painted frame on the ground!

gcrank1 said:
I think it looks pretty good, especially that its your first. I was re-reading the 'prep' stuff and agree that neutralizing the stripper, if used, and the best primer base possible, and that well cleaned before colorcoat, should solve a lot of any potential problem.
Of course, I maybe 'over-research' about anything , but you have encouraged me.
Thanks! I've painted some small parts before just never a project like this.
All things considered.. my prep work could have been better.

My days of building bikes on the floor or hung from tie downs is almost over. Just got a stand rig minus the clamps for free.
P.S. "Your supposed to paint the underside of the BB?"

axsepul said:
Very nice. I would recommend buying a stand since I would never place a freshly painted frame on the ground!

I gotta give it up for the RRB crew. U all inspire me to build!
Why else would I take a complete pre-war classic & turn it into a "Hooptie"
HPIM5520.jpg

HPIM5528.jpg

HPIM5526.jpg

I put some 2.35 tires on & installed the rack.
HPIM5547.jpg

HPIM5552.jpg

HPIM5553.jpg

HPIM5561.jpg

Back