ratrodbikes tv show yes i was seriously asked about this idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is an extraordinarily high-level of creativity and craftsmanship expressed in this sight.

The trick however, to the establishment of any TV program, is sponsorship – how many companies (as invertors) can be convinced that they’ll receive a return on investment based on programming that’ll engage the audience for a given amount of time. How relevant to their product line is it? Will it sell? Money talks and these are business folk who see $$$ in a very narrow spectrum.

And of course, there is also the issue of – The Drama Queens!!!

Unfortunately the reality shows thrive on the drama queens. Keeping up with the Ducky Booboos.

From my impression of "reality" TV, they would put Black Crown Tattoo up to represent the RRB world.:mad::crazy2::banghead:

So sad, but so true!

The term ‘Reality TV’ is an oxymoron – most of the programming is staged; tailored really, for its target audience.

What would an RRB TV show look like? Would it have Drama Queens or would it break the mold and have “normal” people riding abnormal bicycles in such exotic locations as Brooklyn, NY?

We are an esoteric union, so we’ll need to plant the seed unto an equally impenetrable audience. But, I believe that once they see how cool we are, they’ll come around. ;)

Everything on TV is staged and it pretty much always has been.

Whether people like what's on TV today or not, every single aspect of it is scrutinized and planned to generate income. The drama, the extreme stuff, etc. is all to draw a crowd. They do it because it works...and it must work pretty well.

Shows like American Pickers, Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, etc. seem to succeed because of the variety of items and the interesting history behind them each week. We also have this treasure finding dream in us that makes us enjoy seeing people unearth valuable stuff.

Probably the best bet would be to contact Mike Wolfe and see if he could help push something through. I doubt he would care, but the fact that he's also a bike nut and in the TV business would be helpful.

I must have something wrong with me. I can't stand when shows try to interject drama, wacky gimmicks, or crazy characters. I actually want to watch someone build something and thats enough. Keep the crazy deadlines,village idiots,drama queens, and screaming out. I tune out when that happens.
Like I said, I guess something is wrong with me.

I must have something wrong with me. I can't stand when shows try to interject drama, wacky gimmicks, or crazy characters. I actually want to watch someone build something and thats enough. Keep the crazy deadlines,village idiots,drama queens, and screaming out. I tune out when that happens.
Like I said, I guess something is wrong with me.

Ha Ha...nothing wrong with you at all, I think most of us here are in the same mindset that you're in. I could also give a rip about the drama, but I don't necessarily mind if there are interesting characters on the show as long as they are somewhat believable. Barry Weiss is a good example from Storage Wars. He was kinda cool, had funny stuff to say all of the time and showed off his cool car collection. He was obviously the star of the show and people liked to watch him, thus his own spin off show now.

My only point is that, while most of us don't get into the drama, there are a large population that do. Why they do, I don't know. Maybe they just like to see conflict that's not in their own lives for a change. I guess it creates the opportunity for a "cliff hanger" to get you to watch again next week.

I guess it doesn't say much for our culture when folks are so easily duped by "reality" TV. Or maybe they realize it's fake and just enjoy it as entertainment and a form of escape...who knows.

I would get to show off my tramp stamp

I don't carry coins, can you run my debit card?:21:

I think a show like Cafe Racer would be cool. Just building bikes and riding them without the drama.
The only show I've considered "reality tv" is COPS. I guess most of the so called reality shows of today would be pretty dull if they weren't scripted...some are entertaining and others not so much IMO.

I'd enjoy a show where I learn something and not watch some clown trying to be a tv star.

I always joke about it and say that no network would be interested in having a show with me in it because I don't have any tattoos, an explosive temper or a drinking problem. :21:

Not a problem, it's reality TV. They can invent a suitable persona for you.

"This week on Bicycle Babylon, with a major build deadline just around the corner, Rat Rod goes off the wagon and out of control! Can he mend the rift with his tattoo artist in time to build the ultimate boardtracker?"

I just want to throw a name out here that hasn't been mentioned yet. I would 100% watch a show about Gaskill and his Hop Shop. His cars and bikes are works of art about most others, IMO. As I get more into cutting up vintage, I can only hope to create pale imitations of his bikes.

Plus he seems wacky, eccentric, and other virtues that work well on TV.

Another group that would probably be an appealing cast for the networks would be Dom and Boogie from Behind Bars Inc.

They have a lot going for them in terms of marketability....a cool bike shop in California, a HUGE following with their bike shows, and interaction with the clubs there near them. The guys from "The Others" club could probably have their own show as well.

5d5d3c_9f8beed67fd5368e27d7748b5ad0af5a.jpg_srz_p_966_611_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-04-29-at-10.03.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-04-29-at-10.04.jpg

I keep waiting for this idea to morph into a failing celebrity bike build off ....

Xzibit
Mikey Teutul
Chum Lee
Tyler Dale
Frank Fritz

... and throw in Gary Busey, I'll watch if Gary Busey shows up

I would definitely watch something remotely related to this site though. I see O'malleys showed up in one of those 16 and pregnant shows ... didn't watch the show but saw the clip :D

Last edited:
I can say this...being famous is probably not what it's cracked up to be. Everything in your life will be scrutinized to the max. Make one mistake and you're on the Yahoo home page, not to mention the trouble your family has to go through. You can't go anywhere without being hounded by fans and photographers. I've heard many celebrities say that the one thing they want is privacy.

Our society is pretty sick. They love to see you succeed, but even more so these days, they love to see you fail.

As I don't watch TV anymore I have no idea how this would pan out.

But if you want to really reach out to mainstream America, I would just branch out the idea from exclusively RatRod bikes, and just make it about bikes in general. It would have a larger target demographic, and in turn already have a built in marketing sector ready to dump money into it.

Rat rod bikes, while cool, do not really make the bike industry any money, whereas mountain and road bikes are huge markets, and millions of bucks are spent yearly.

You could just have the show follow around "Goofy eccentric host" and his bicycle adventures. Theres tons to see or do involving bikes that you could fill up as much time as you would like.

Shows featuring stuff such as:
Bikepacking, touring and adventure racing(vacation shows, but no biking)
Biking as an alternative lifestyle(ripe full of weirdos)
BMX subculture(Tattoos and anger management = ratings??)
Ratrodders, bike builders (ala OCC, minus the commercialization and tudes')
Beach, Boardwalk, and sightseeing rides (sightseeing while cruising the US)
Hardcore downhill riders/Red Bull stuff (risk of death = nascar ratings???)
The life of a weight weenie(I tore the tags off my undies to save 2 grams)
Fixies
Fat Biking
Restoration
Bike history

Theres absolutely a gold mine or content out there, and really no outlet for bike enthusiasts other than the internet currently. I just think limiting to a Ratrod specific niche is going to run into a lot of issues, such as, but not limited to; market appeal, advertising revenue, captivating enough content.

If there is a legit interest in doing something like this, I would be willing to invest time into such a thing. I've had somewhat of a mild delusion of grandeur of becoming a documentary filmmaker, but never had the bankroll to finance a project like that, while maintaining an income to pay the bills. lol.

As I don't watch TV anymore I have no idea how this would pan out.

But if you want to really reach out to mainstream America, I would just branch out the idea from exclusively RatRod bikes, and just make it about bikes in general. It would have a larger target demographic, and in turn already have a built in marketing sector ready to dump money into it.

Rat rod bikes, while cool, do not really make the bike industry any money, whereas mountain and road bikes are huge markets, and millions of bucks are spent yearly.

You could just have the show follow around "Goofy eccentric host" and his bicycle adventures. Theres tons to see or do involving bikes that you could fill up as much time as you would like.

Shows featuring stuff such as:
Bikepacking, touring and adventure racing(vacation shows, but no biking)
Biking as an alternative lifestyle(ripe full of weirdos)
BMX subculture(Tattoos and anger management = ratings??)
Ratrodders, bike builders (ala OCC, minus the commercialization and tudes')
Beach, Boardwalk, and sightseeing rides (sightseeing while cruising the US)
Hardcore downhill riders/Red Bull stuff (risk of death = nascar ratings???)
The life of a weight weenie(I tore the tags off my undies to save 2 grams)
Fixies
Fat Biking
Restoration
Bike history

Theres absolutely a gold mine or content out there, and really no outlet for bike enthusiasts other than the internet currently. I just think limiting to a Ratrod specific niche is going to run into a lot of issues, such as, but not limited to; market appeal, advertising revenue, captivating enough content.

If there is a legit interest in doing something like this, I would be willing to invest time into such a thing. I've had somewhat of a mild delusion of grandeur of becoming a documentary filmmaker, but never had the bankroll to finance a project like that, while maintaining an income to pay the bills. lol.
I would watch that show...

Luke.

I think it'd be neat if we got our own show, even if it was just like a "roadkill" kind of thing on YouTube, just a half hour show on the 'tube to get us out there, then after we get the whole system down about filming, we could pitch an episode to the cw15 station or something similar. Imagine the insanity of the buildoff! :rockout::rockout:

Back