RAT ROD BIKES BUILD OFF 2 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im in.Going to be difficult not to mod the frame though.That is part of the rules right?

"3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure. "

Either way Im in.I didn't join in on the fun of the last one so Im looking forward to it.If people are up for it (including myself)I can tinker around and possibly make another trophy something like these I made for a local fixed gear race.Cant wait to see everyones bikes.

trophies.jpg

-Kreep-

Wow...those trophies are very cool!

I think the reason we went with the no frame mods rule before was to keep the playing field even. There are a lot of us out there without welders or the ability to weld. :cry:

I think it also just added to the challenge of seeing how creative we could be without doing a lot of chopping.

In an effort to keep the playing field even, maybe a limit to budget should be implied rather than limiting what can and cant be done.

Budget would be hard to prove. I think the "frame mod" rule could be changed to mild frame modifications, like the Randy's (locojoe) frame chop. As long as the frame still looks very similar to original.

chop.jpg

Troy's boardtracker while being very cool would be an example of heavy frame modifications.

DSCF0071.jpg

I'm thinking the deadline should be November 30th.

This will give folks two and a half months to build and hopefully enough time before any really cold weather hits.

Rat Rod said:
I'm thinking the deadline should be November 30th.

This will give folks two and a half months to build and hopefully enough time before any really cold weather hits.

I can probably do a late Nov. deadline. Id need a good 2 months to not feel rushed hehe :)
I also like the "minimal-NO frame modding" rule. On my last build, the extent to my frame modding was cutting down the seat clamp on the frame and spreading apart the front forks to fit a tire.... Mainly because I dont have a welder :)

again, my vote is to keep the old rules. no frame mods.
keep the rules simple. complicated = no fun.
it worked for the last one, why mess with it?

oh yeah,
i will be unable to participate this time...

:cry:

oct.

a suggestion about frame mods....

frame mods vs. no frame mods....that gets tricky. if you repaint a frame you've modified it. if you grind off the brake line guides, you've modified the frame. i suggest that if limiting that kind of thing the rules be a lil more specific. how bout this....no welding. not all of us have welders, access to a welder, or money for welding, but we all have drill and wrenches.
i like the idea of keeping it simple, rules blur things up, but for us very low budget builders the only way we'll be able to keep up and compete is if things are kept simple.
ill enjoy the contest no matter what the rules, and even if the rules allow stuff that is outta my league or budget, i can still have a shot if i enter cuz its a vote situation. lookin forward to seein y'alls bikes!!!!
fast eddie outty

I would consider no frame mods to be just no welding
and I wouldnt consider a welded repair such as a broken factory weld to be a modification
an open contest would be fun too but to stick to the true reason this forum started.. it was about throwing a bunch of parts at an old bike to make it cooler :)
so I say same rules as before!
man your rattlecans and wrenches!!

No welding except for repairing something that is already there sounds very reasonable, I'll go for that. I agree with Hooch about keeping the spirit of this site as far as full out bike frame mods go. Warning, my workshop is clean and ready to go! :mrgreen:

People want to modify their frames, Why not make two classes?
Just a thought.

ricksterr1221 said:
People want to modify their frames, Why not make two classes?
Just a thought.

here's the 2 classes:

1. rat rod bikes = no frame mods.

2. chopperbicycle.net = anything goes.

:p

what about the welding of other parts? such as handlebars, forks, and other "add on" accessories?

oct.

Back