Rare (seemingly) Colson/Evans Commander Tank Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I found this on a local online auction site. I have searched the google machine high and low and have only found one identical bicycle photo and there was minimal info associated with it. I won the auction last night. I now have to pay for it and wait for delivery before I can get a good look at it. It's missing the original grips, chainguard, headbadge and possibly a front light.

If anyone has any information, I would be very grateful.
These are the only photos I have, the auction house did a terrible job with images.
Here she is:

21.JPG

21A.JPG
21B.JPG

21C.JPG
21D.JPG
21E.JPG
21F.JPG
21G.JPG

Here is the reference image I found on http://oldroads.com/arch/pic1_939.html
fdbdown.asp

It's true; there is very little information on the Evans company out there. I live in Plymouth Michigan where the factory was (and is now something else) so I set out to be a source of information on the brand. They only existed for a period from 1954, when they bought Colson, until their demise in 1962.

Being just down the road from the automobile headquarters of the world in Dearborn/Detroit, they employed the famed car designer Harley Earle to design the bicycles. His most obvious touch is the square fenders, reminiscent of GMs squared off, dual headlights on nearly every car in 1958. I would pin yours as a 1957 or '58. This should be a middleweight but I think the square fenders will allow for balloon tires pretty easily. Definitely not an every day find, and while these later E-Cs haven't appreciated as much, they're certainly unique beasts and have a distinctive styling all their own. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I got it for a pretty good price and it's my first tanker, so I am pretty excited to actually get it and check it out in person.

I still bet it will clean up really well. The paint appears to be in pretty good shape.
SWEET SCORE!

Deuce, you're on a roll of great finds recently, but this one takes the cake!
A very nice complete Evans tanker you have to work with there. Not too shabby for your first tank bike. Congrats!

I found this on a local online auction site. I have searched the google machine high and low and have only found one identical bicycle photo and there was minimal info associated with it. I won the auction last night. I now have to pay for it and wait for delivery before I can get a good look at it. It's missing the original grips, chainguard, headbadge and possibly a front light.

If anyone has any information, I would be very grateful.
These are the only photos I have, the auction house did a terrible job with images.
Here she is:

21.JPG

21A.JPG
21B.JPG

21C.JPG
21D.JPG
21E.JPG
21F.JPG
21G.JPG

Here is the reference image I found on http://oldroads.com/arch/pic1_939.html
fdbdown.asp
what a great find and a terrific looking bike,congratulations!!:thumbsup:I just picked one up on the bay last week.This pic is from the add itself as the bike is totally apart right now.Gonna hot rod her out gasser style.Got one project almost done and will start the new one soon.Just won a headbage this morn because the original is mia.Bike will be named the Drag-On ;)!Check out item #131206410317 on the ebay there's a guy selling picture adds of these Evans bikes,he has several to choose from and your bike is one of them!!:grin:
My Evans.jpg
Dragon.jpg
evans pic add.jpg

Last edited:
So, I pick the Commander up in a few hours at the local shop that it was shipped to!

Also, I found this locally and will pick it up this Saturday for $25.
Looks to have the correct head badge I need for the Commander and the chain guard appears to be the same design/shape as the one I need (although the paint on it is totally incorrect)

01313_iy9U6Qgbn1g_600x450.jpg

00r0r_dB2qFd2w1jW_600x450.jpg

So, I pick the Commander up in a few hours at the local shop that it was shipped to!

Also, I found this locally and will pick it up this Saturday for $25.
Looks to have the correct head badge I need for the Commander and the chain guard appears to be the same design/shape as the one I need (although the paint on it is totally incorrect)
Good stuff Deuce:thumbsup:!!!

01313_iy9U6Qgbn1g_600x450.jpg

00r0r_dB2qFd2w1jW_600x450.jpg

Back