Raleigh Chiltern path racer style build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The latest things are that I resprayed the crossbar and downtube and got some new bars, no photo yet, they look the same but are alloy. Here is a picture of the frame sticker that refers to the tubing http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/2676964872/
Does anyone know exactly what '18-23' is and how it compares to other tubing.

I'm lovin' this, I wish this was in the buildoff, woulda' helped havin' another Eng. 3spd in the mix.
In regards to the hub brake, were you going for looks or for the better braking? I'm guessing to latter. :)
Awesome build!

Gareth,
I wish I had a Guv'nor, check out the thread I started for some Guv'nor pics.

Joke,
I love the traditional look of hub brakes - much better than disc brakes. They are not massively powerful but I have managed with just the one up to now, (there's no blocks in the rear caliper) and they are consistant - dry or rain you get the same braking.

I now have a rear 3 speed gear/brake hub, it's not even fitted into a rim at the moment though.

Thanks, i'd be flattered if mine inspired you :)

What bike did you get?

Something else I think would be good, a racer with Nitto Promenade bars, leather grips, Brooks saddle, to use for lightweight fast cruising.

With the Chiltern I painted the rear stays a few days ago and I'm leaving the paint to harden for a while.

The latest thing I got a few weeks ago is a rear 3-speed hub with brake. It cost £19 off ebay, someone had a bike project which they abandoned so I don't think it was ever used. Here is a picture as I bought it http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/2908071416/ It's now fitted into the bike and as it's an alloy rim and hub it's lighter than the original steel rim and hub even though it's bigger. It's great to ride - definately recommended :)

After what happened a few days ago i'll be taking the front light off the stem to see what's what. I was not on the Chiltern but was riding my cruiser when I felt a looseness, I couldn't work it out at first and carried on riding, after the third time I realised the ALLOY stem had split all the way around - a nasty shock! I was 10 miles from home and had to ride back very carefully, it took an extra hour. When I took it apart I saw that only the long bolt had been holding it together and the part left in the steerer tube was seized solid (I tried w.d. and wrenches) so now i'm getting a new fork sorted out with my lbs.

stephen said:
Does anyone know exactly what '18-23' is and how it compares to other tubing.

nice bike - i had one till a couple of years ago, when an irate motorist who didn't have room to overtake deliberately drove into the back of it. tosser :|

i like what you've done with yours, it's well smart. as for the tubing, it's high tensile steel, not light, but strong and cheap. many millions of bikes are made of it and still are being. it'll last for many decades no bother. unless you're a racer, or snob, the weight isn't really important, as the weight of the frame is a 1/4 of the bike weight. and the bike weight is 1/10th of the rider and bike combination.

from sheldon

High tensile, high tension, Hi-Ten
A fancy-sounding name for the ordinary tubing used to build cheap bicycle frames.

where did you get the front hub from? :D

Lincoln, UK, excellent!

The hub was £45, the cable and bracket was £6 and £25 to have it laced. When I got the rear done the cable had no bracket, I think it's only if you buy everything new - but my lbs got the rep to throw one in anyway :)

The latest thing I got done was when I started to fix the cotter pins and BB bearings and found that it didn't have the Raleigh specific thread as expected but a normal modern thread, now i've fitted a Shimano BB and alloy cranks. Also got some chromed steel handlebars.

Latest posts

Back