Questions that should be asked before buying a used bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CeeBee said:
honestherman said:
I will never understand why a man with two hands two two legs would ask for something for free. It must have some value to it.
Some people in this world are down and out and need a "Helping hand" But if you dont have money, Ask to Do something in trade for the bike. Mow the lawn, pick weeds anything. That to me would be the seller helping the buyer get the bike.
I totally agree with that one. The "expect something for nothing" is up there with the "pay less if its stolen" attitude. There seems to be a lot of justification to why people deserve more for less going on lately.

My answer to the original poster's question is this: The most important questions are not what to ask the seller, but what you should ask yourself.
Do you know how to fix the problems the bike has?
Can you afford it?
What are you wanting to buy the bike for?
And the most important question I always ask myself is if I personally am happy with the deal. Don't have regrets later because someone else told you you paid too much or because the you found out the bike you are in love with turned out to be 24" or not a Schwinn, etc. A lot of people here buy bike just to flip for money, and that's fine with me. However, I learned a long time ago that I make my money by going to work everyday and doing my job. I buy bikes because I like bikes and I never buy anything that I don't mind getting "stuck" with. I have owned a few hundred bikes (really!) over the years and have no regrets at all about any one I bought. (I do regret a few sales though!)
Its supposed to be fun, healthy and educational. Try to shoot for that and you can't go wrong!

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I would never knowingly buy a stolen bike I only try to pay less when the story sounds fishy so I can try to find out who it belonged to and get it back to them and not loose a bunch of money doing it. So far in almost 20 years I have only bought two stolen bikes and I gave them back to their rightful owners and saved them from being lost for longer, one I saved from the scrapyard! I do buy bikes to make money but I have always had a passion for bicycles of all types and I enjoy building, working on, and riding every one I get. Some I hold on to longer than others but I will sell anything when the flash wears off and the price is right. I never get tired of owning any bike and don't care if I get stuck with all of them.

I've made good deals, bad deals, and I always have fun thinking about what I will dig up next.

Terry66 said:
As far as questions I ask when buying online....

1. Is the bike/frame 26"? Sometimes it is hard to tell from photos if a frame or bike is 24" or 26".

Who asks this? :mrgreen:

clerkkent said:
Terry66 said:
As far as questions I ask when buying online....

1. Is the bike/frame 26"? Sometimes it is hard to tell from photos if a frame or bike is 24" or 26".

Who asks this? :mrgreen:

Haha, I not too long ago bought a frame/fork/front wheel sight unseen, had my dad pick it up, I just ASSUMED it was a 26"... oops.

I always ask for the seller's history with the bike (ala Antiques Roadshow). Their answer might throw up some red flags. Also, in my personal experience, any time I hear "I'm selling it for my cousin", that's my cue to walk away.. all sorts of spidey sense tingling there.

Sometimes I get a great answer from the seller, like 'it was in the family for decades', 'my brother rode it' , "brought it over from a foreign country", etc. I like back stories, but if they go on and on, be wary. This will tell you how much of the bike price is *nostalgia* vs *Bicycle*. You are buying a bicycle, they are selling memories

I'm surprised none of the old school members have said this, so here goes: "Did Chuck Norris ever ride it?" :lol: :lol: :lol: -Adam

Back