Questions that should be asked before buying a used bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow Rat Rodders...Rookie Uv Da Year here...
Given that I truly am a rookie when it comes to cruisers in bikes in general... I wanted to ask you what types of questions you should ask a seller when considering buying a used bike off of craigslist or ebay, Or just even at yard sale?

1) What types of questions should you ask about the body and frame of the vehicle?
2) Are there certain types of things that you should inspect in the chain, wheels and gears of the bike?
3) Are there certain red flags, about a bike, that should alert you to not make the purchase?

Honestly I really didn't know.... so I wanted to hear your expert opinions... any insight you can provide would be most appreciated...thanks... :D

ride the bike if you can .. does it feel right.. one thing I always do is turn them upside down see if any water runs out of them.
and depending on how old it is .. and asking price ask them to remove the goose neck, that can make or break a.. deal price wise..look at all the frame and the seat post hole for sure.. its like buying a used car you get what you get... always offer less than what they are asking... dont worry about flat tires.. and rusty chains.. easy cheap fix.. some of the older bikes
that are missing parts but seem like a good deal .. check and see what they sale for on ebay .. if its big money
parts for you to finish the bikes are gonna be bike money . I always say bikes are only worth what someone is willing
to pay for them.. but if you like the bike ..and can live with the price.. go for it... but with todays phones.. and google
do a search before you go.... or do what I do ... come here ..find a bike someone else has built .. bug them til they
sell it to you ..or offer them a trade they cant pass up .. I have 2 bikes built buy other members here and one that myself
and rat rod have built and traded back and forth each time the other making small changes
and never wear flip flops to a bike deal

Wow awesome...thanks man... what and where is the gooseneck located? And what's the deal with flip flops Henry? Hahaha! Thanks again man I appreciate it!

RookieUvDaYear said:
Wow awesome...thanks man... what and where is the gooseneck located? And what's the deal with flip flops Henry? Hahaha! Thanks again man I appreciate it!

just look for the feathers... har.. no really ..you dont know anything about bikes much .. lets see, but you have come to the
right place.. cause none of the rest of of do ... but some are better than others! lets see who do we pass you off to to fix up
your education... Rat Rod nope RWTL very busy... kingfish254...nah .. twisted mind on that one to early for that
A.S.boltnut .. hmm. .. he has issues .. uncle stretch .. well almost but we cant really say ... udallcustomsbikes... well maybe
but he is from kansas.. whole bunch of them kansas types here. me thinks in this case our best bet at this time is
yoothgeye.. yep best for now ... take it yoothgeye....

and if you put your hand on the grips.. follow the bars down to the point the are attached to the bike.. that is the goose neck
goes into the head tube. important stuff .. if that bolt does not turn out because of rust you have to cut the fork off
well I have said too much ... you will learn lots here.. have fun enjoy ... everyone here brings something special to
the table... gotta run .. my bus is here. P.S. there is a how to section .. just search in that area lots there

See if you can't find a couple real junkers, like free or $5, condition not important. Then just take them apart. To see how everything comes apart and goes together. Any old bike will do. Then you cab just pitch out or junk it when you're done, If you haven't grown attached! :lol:

This site http://www.sheldonbrown.com has vast amounts of info on all sorts of bike work.

One big question I always ask, "Is it stolen?" I always ask not as if they'd tell the truth if it was I just gage their reaction and pay accordingly.

CeeBee said:
outskirtscustoms said:
One big question I always ask, "Is it stolen?" I always ask not as if they'd tell the truth if it was I just gage their reaction and pay accordingly.

If you buy it anyway at any price if you think its stolen, then your are just as guilty as the guy that took it. In fact you are enabling the thief... Just using "stolen" as a price guage doesn't raise you up in moral standings in my book. :(

I only buy it to try and return it to the rightful owner. And I keep record of who I got it from to pass along. :wink:

Scrapirondesigns said:
yoothgeye said:
Here's an important question to remember:

"Can't I just have it?"
i'm going to try that one next time!

It's worked for me, and there's a lady at the church who is always going to yard sales, she will bring me bikes she saw for sale at yard sales, but she just asks for them.

always remember most people think schwinns no matter what they are or what their condition is worth alot of money. And dont expect to get killer deals right off the bat theres very few of us here that has got that lucky. like someone else said on here get some cheap/free bikes and break them down and rebuild them. before you know it you will have 40 or 50 bikes :roll: and most of all if you find a style of frame you like get them and enjoy, like me I mainly look for cantilever framed bikes and multi tubed bikes and any single speed bikes in general

First, let me say this....understand that the asking price on ebay is not the selling price. Many bikes on ebay are WAY, WAY overpriced and are just long term "bait" waiting on that right person to come along. I had a local CL guy tell me that he saw a bike like his 60's girls Higgins middleweight "going for" $600 on ebay, so he was only asking $300. :roll: If you want to use ebay as a gauge, look at the "completed" auctions that were actually sold...and even then ebay prices are pretty crazy high.

As far as questions I ask when buying online....

1. Is the bike/frame 26"? Sometimes it is hard to tell from photos if a frame or bike is 24" or 26".

2. Is the frame straight, solid and are there any rewelds?

3. When it comes to forks, I always ask if they were from a boys or girls bike. The steerer tube/threads are different. You can make a girl's fork work on a boys bike, but I'd rather not.

4. When buying a frame as specifically what is included. Some folks consider headbadges, cups, bearings, clamps, etc as part of the frame and other don't. Better to just specify up front so there are no hard feelings later.

5. Ask for pictures. I mean many times you can't see details that you are interested in. Specifically ask for pics of a fork or whatever you want to see.

I will never understand why a man with two hands two two legs would ask for something for free. It must have some value to it.
Some people in this world are down and out and need a "Helping hand" But if you dont have money, Ask to Do something in trade for the bike. Mow the lawn, pick weeds anything. That to me would be the seller helping the buyer get the bike.

honestherman said:
I will never understand why a man with two hands two two legs would ask for something for free. It must have some value to it. Some people in this world are down and out and need a "Helping hand"

CeeBee said:
I totally agree with that one. The "expect something for nothing" is up there with the "pay less if its stolen" attitude. There seems to be a lot of justification to why people deserve more for less going on lately.

I ruffled some feathers.

I really approached this thread wrong, you see, most of the bikes I ask people about are not for sale, I've never asked for a bike for free that someone was trying to sell, but I do ask for bikes that I see in people's trash piles and rusty out beside their shops.

The gooseneck check is a great point. I never thought of that myself.
So is flipping the bike over to see if water drips out.

What I check out:
1) Are the wheels in good shape? (Don't worry about the tires) Check to see that they're centered in the fork, and frame. Spin them. Are they straight and true, or do they wobble? Put one hand on the gooseneck, and one hand on the front tire. Shake a little side to side- is there play in the wheel bearings, or are they tight? Grab the frame just below the seat, and check the rear wheel the same way. If it's an old bike, don't worry too much if the wheels don't spin really well, as long as they're not way too tight. You'll have to re-pack the bearings anyway.
If the rims are too rusty be wary- especially if you see rust around the spoke nipples on one relatively small area. If the bike has been sitting outdoors in the rain, water can get in through the spoke nipples, or tire valve and rust the rims from the inside out.

2) Do a similar check with the front fork. Does it turn freely? Put your foot under the front wheel, take the bars, and check to see if there is any slop in the fork head.

3) Don't worry too much about a little light surface rust, but deep flaking rust on the frame can mean trouble. Look under the bottom bracket (pedal crank) if it's rusted through, even in a tiny spot, forget it.

That's about all I can think of offhand. Good luck!

JWM

Jwm's post. :wink: Also pay attenion to the roundness of the wheel. look at the rim as it passes the framework, fender or hand brake. Listen as it spins for any popping or crunching sound or feel. Look past the steering head at the wheels and dropouts. Hold the front wheel in alignment with the rear and look past it at the rear. Do the dropouts seem evenly centered on the frame? do the wheels and frame seem parallel? If the wheels seem misaligned, check to see if they are centered in the stays (rear frame tubes/fork legs) or off to the appropriate side so that centering them will move them into alignment. A straight bike takes much less energy to ride, is less prone to wear, and is just plain better looking. :idea:

p.s. gooseneck is slang for the handle bar clamp, or stem

WOW! Thanks guys I really appreciate all of the solid feedback and advice, sincerely...One of the great things i love about this forum and bike enthusiasts in general is that everyone is so friendly and willing to give advice or lend hand....speaking of which...

i'm going to go see this bike (see the link below) tomorrow afternoon what do you all think of it? Any thoughts, impressions, etc????? Thanks again!!! :mrgreen:

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/3264051082.html

RookieUvDaYear said:
WOW! Thanks guys I really appreciate all of the solid feedback and advice, sincerely...One of the great things i love about this forum and bike enthusiasts in general is that everyone is so friendly and willing to give advice or lend hand....speaking of which...

i'm going to go see this bike (see the link below) tomorrow afternoon what do you all think of it? Any thoughts, impressions, etc????? Thanks again!!! :mrgreen:

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/3264051082.html

That's a nice bike and a pretty good deal if it looks and rides as nice as the picture. I'd grease the hubs after you get it just to make sure.

Cool...thanks man... I don't see too many Phat cycles in Colorado.... Check their website and it looks like they are a California company.... I also wanted to get a sense of how much they cost new but they didn't really have any price info.... anybody know anything about them?

Back