Questions and discussion: My 1979 Spitfire project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my local body shop will paint a bike frame and fork for me, for a case of beer. His choice of color. He paints several cars a day, so it gets squirted with whatever he has. I can ask for a color, but if its all gold cars, it gets painted gold.........

Looking at the picture of the frame I noticed that you have a front fork equipped with mounts for a Weinman caliper brake, but the frame does not have the rear caliper brake mount. This bike was an early Spitfire Five, or even a Klunker. (only real difference was the silkscreen on the chainguard). It came equipped with a Shimano positron shifter - an early index model with a distinct 'click' in the lever when you shifted gears. The lever mounted on the crown.The rear wheel had the five speed cluster, and the Atom drum rear brake. That's a tough wheel set to find, but they are out there. Here's a link from the CABE with a picture of this bike when it was new:

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... tfire+five

JWM

Then I doubt it is the original fork. I have others that came in a box of parts when I bought this bike and a 1968 speedster.

Rattle bomb it dude, you ain't goin' to hurt it. Satin finish black or pastels somewhat mimic the appearance of old paint, and won't clash with clean but aged hard parts. Scratch and scuff it and leave it out in the rain if you want crusty, I wouldn't. Satin black VHT rollbar/chassis paint is my current favorite. :mrgreen:

Is there any market for a quite rusty but original paint Schwinn Black Phantom chain guard? I have one but I kinda want to strip it and clean it up and paint it to go with my color scheme. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. Advice?

I would think somebody with a rat might want one, but, it comes down to a price someone can/will pay, and condition is everything. If you think its 'rusty gold' you wont likely move it, play fair and it will go.
Thing is that if, for your build, it isnt needed, then why undo an original piece?

Make that two coats. First time spray painting at night and I think it was a success.

I would like to take this time to say that this bike is absolutely incredible. It is so facking cool! Perhaps I'm slightly biased, but it is one of the coolest cruisers I have ever seen.

lildietz said:
I think I have decided what I want to do for paint. It is going to be a faux patina. I have to decide on the exact PPG color and if I want to get a coat of nice paint sprayed under the top coat, or just use red oxide primer. I think the primer should be fine since I am going to put a clear coat on it, plus it would look more faux-thentic. This 1937 Ford will serve as the inspiration.

hrdp_0704_rat_13_z+1937_ford_rat_rod+patina+wheels.jpg

EDIT: Just got a response from the body shop. They said $200 for a single stage in black or white, with flatener. No thanks. I'm going to do this one myself. We have spent probably $25,000 at this body shop in the past 2 years, and probably another $8,000 in the 10 years prior.

Cool! I've been wanting to do this color scheme for a while. Just afarid I won't be able to pull it off.

It turned out fantastic. If you want to do it, make sure you put a coat or two of grey primer down, 3 or so coats of red oxide down, and maybe 2 coats of whatever top color you choose.

The wheels, tires, and chain are temporary. I wanted to ride it! :lol:
p4pb7656805.jpg

Well, it's done. Thinking of naming it either Sherman, Bradley, or Persing. Yes, there is a theme...

p4pb7846497.jpg

p4pb7846505.jpg

Back