Questions and discussion: My 1979 Spitfire project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting this thread in hopes of being able to ask the questions I have here, instead of starting a new thread each time I have one. Let's see how this works...

1.) What is the largest (widest) tire you have fit on a Schwinn middleweight fork?
2.) What is the seatpost diameter on my bike?

That's all for now. Thanks,
Andy

26x2.125 for sure. Maybe 26x2.35

13/16" or 21.1mm seat post

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Already done did. :D

What rims should I get? I don't know if I want to involve myself with older Schwinn rims, because tire availability will be a ...... I'm thinking about going with a new disc brake rim, because I'll only be running a coaster brake and I don't really want an ugly rim with a machined sidewall. Thoughts?

And forks!!! I don't know what I want to do here...I have quite a few middleweight forks, and I guess the cost-effective thing would be to use one of those, but I can get a new Sunlite Springer for cost. These complete junk?

The '79 Spitfire came with S-2 knurled rims. Those are the wider wheels that take the 26x2.125 tires. The Schwinn middleweight rim is an S-7 like on a Typhoon, or a Heavy Duti. The S-7 rim takes a 1 3/4" tire. They are not hard to find. Niagra Cycle has them, as do several bike "stores" on e-bay. If you're looking for an aftermarket rim, there are many available. As far as the forks go, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there is a difference between the fork on a Spitfire (balloon tire), and the fork on a Typhoon (middleweight tire). Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

JWM

Thanks for the help. I am compleeeetely new to the Schwinn and old bike world. I am a mountain biker, stuck in FL, and I work in a shop. I can answer prettymuch any question you may have about modern bikes (test me), but this is a new language. Bear with me :lol:

So if I understand correctly, I can use a 26x2.125 tire on a Schwinn S-2 rim? I guess that is what came on the bike, because there was a tire of that size on it. Neat. I might just shine up the rear rim, get some new spokes, and lace it back up.

The front wheel, on the other hand, is prettymuch a loss. The moron that owned the bike before I got it had spray painted the front wheel (hub, spokes, rim, even the rim strip) silver. I don't know if I'll be able to salvage it.

That would make this process move a LOT faster if I don't have to buy new rims, calculate the spoke length, and lace those up.

B607 said:
You should be able to strip the silver paint from the front rim and hub. Gary

+1.

paint doesn't stick to chrome all that well in the first place, a little aircraft remover....... :wink:

I will try to get some pictures up by Sunday night. I have been very busy with school work these past 2 days, and I will be working at the LBS tomorrow and Saturday.

I got frame and fork in primer today. I have to decide on color. I'm thinking a red oxide type thang would look pretty cool with tan tires, brown grips, and a brown Brooks knockoff. I'm thinking about either trying to polish the parts that I do have (cups, crank, chainring, hubs, rims, bar) or getting them replated.

I understand that this bike isn't worth very much, but I like it. I don't plan on selling it any time soon, so I'm not hard pressed as to what kind of money I put into it. I can probably have it sprayed by a local body shop for free, and I doubt getting the stuff replated would be extremely expensive.

Thanks for the replies.

lildietz said:
I doubt getting the stuff replated would be extremely expensive.

You must not have had any chroming done before. Unless you know someone, it is real expensive. Gary

Yeah most times you'll spend more to get the parts chromed than you spent on the rest of the bike. I have managed to "Fake it" pretty well by sanding the part smooth to remove any pitting then prime wet-sand and use 3 coats of that chrome spray paint (Wet-sand again) then clear the crud out of it (and finish with a final wet-sanding). Takes a lot of time to get it to look right and normally isn't quite as shiny as chrome but it gives a decent finish at a fraction of the cost.

Well this is awkward...

I don't have pictures yet.

But! The bike was primed, I got it all sanded and nice, and today I reprimed it for paint. I stripped the nasty paint off the front rim and steel wooled the living crap out of it as well as the rear wheel. The rims are the only things I really can't afford to replace. I didn't realize how expensive a nice set of S2s is!

So here is my list of things to do (in order):
1. Choose a paint color
2. Get wheels laced with new spokes and a new front hub
3. Choose and purchase tires
4. Select what handlebar and seat to use
5. Figure out how to mount the Schwinn headbadge (I had to drill out the bottom screw because it had snapped off)
6. Decide what chainring and chain to use on the bike
7. Pack all the bearings and get the fork and crankset put back on the bike
8. Shine up and re-install the kickstand
9. Finish assembling the bike, take pictures of it, and ride it :D

To cut costs now, spiff up what you have and throw good wax, or even some clearcoat on the chrome parts, assemble and use it for a while. The rest of what you need, or really want to do, will become clear over time. Its a 'work in progress', and never 'really' done :wink: .

Let's start things off with a picture of the frame. As I said earlier, I had already primed it, so yesterday I sanded it and got it all smooooth and then put a final coat of primer on it. I need your input though. I can't for the life of me decide what color I want to have it sprayed. My dad suggested something metallic with a flattener in the clear coat.

p4pb7629907.jpg

After soaking for about 20 hours in some mineral spirits, I wiped the parts off, and man did that chainring come out nice. This is also the handlebar I will be using on the build.

p4pb7629889.jpg

I managed to get all the crud out of the original SA bearings. It took some convincing, but it finally emptied out. I had to smack the bearings on a shop towel on the table quite a few times... Works :lol:

p4pb7629876.jpg

After getting that nasty coat of silver spray paint off the rim and giving it a little TLC in the form of elbow grease and 00 steel wool, I'd like to think they both came out great.

p4pb7629930.jpg

This corrosion is probably going to bother me, but I'll get over it. This is the worst of it.

p4pb7629948.jpg

Now that all the parts are nice and shiny, I just need to get it painted. I will keep my eyes peeled for a decent front hub and a stem. I still have to pick up a chain and tires for it.

I had a '48 Harley with chrome worse than your wheel in 1969, I touched up the bad spots with silver paint and just rode it for 5 years. Once you get some road grime on it you will never know.

I think I have decided what I want to do for paint. It is going to be a faux patina. I have to decide on the exact PPG color and if I want to get a coat of nice paint sprayed under the top coat, or just use red oxide primer. I think the primer should be fine since I am going to put a clear coat on it, plus it would look more faux-thentic. This 1937 Ford will serve as the inspiration.

hrdp_0704_rat_13_z+1937_ford_rat_rod+patina+wheels.jpg

EDIT: Just got a response from the body shop. They said $200 for a single stage in black or white, with flatener. No thanks. I'm going to do this one myself. We have spent probably $25,000 at this body shop in the past 2 years, and probably another $8,000 in the 10 years prior.

Too bad you're not in Dallas.

Our local powder coater will blast a frame and fork and powder them for $100.

He lets folks ship him stuff, but by the time you paid for shipping both ways, you might as well let the painter do it.

Back