Penzance Cornwall, UK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive my American stupidity and geographical stupidity, but are you close to the place where they shot the movie and television series Doc Martin?

alan67 said:
Yeah! Doc Martin is filmed in Port Issac on the north coast of Cornwall... around 40 miles from me.

I've never watched it though! :D

Very cool, I LOVED the show and Port Issac looked really cool on the show. Most of the TV shows I watch are British, my favorite being Top Gear.

yoothgeye said:
alan67 said:
Yeah! Doc Martin is filmed in Port Issac on the north coast of Cornwall... around 40 miles from me.

Very cool, I LOVED the show and Port Issac looked really cool on the show. Most of the TV shows I watch are British, my favorite being Top Gear.

Top Gear! you'd enjoy 'last of the summer wine' then? :lol:

Please don't assume I'm anything like the three plums that present the show!! do you get much British TV over there?

alan67 said:
yoothgeye said:
alan67 said:

Top Gear! you'd enjoy 'last of the summer wine' then? :lol:

Please don't assume I'm anything like the three plums that present the show!! do you get much British TV over there?

I don't think anyone could be like Jeremy, Richard, and James, but I like them. haha

Last of the Summer Wine? I'll have to look that up.

I don't have cable or satellite TV, I just watch whatever I can get on Netflix, but they have a lot of BBC shows and other British shows. I'm like a UK groupie or something.

You can also get your UK shows from thebox.bz

Some that I have enjoyed or do enjoy are:

Early Doors
The Royle Family
Sunshine
Derek
The Fattest Man In Britain (made for TV movie)
Ideal
Benidorm
Father Ted
One Foot In The Grave
Shameless
Max And Paddy's Road To Nowhere
Phoenix Nights
Jethro (Cornish stand up)
Beer Tickers (movie)
Six Shooter (short film)
Miranda

alan67 said:
Early doors, The Royle family, Father Ted, Pheonix nights and the first few seasons of Shameless are all fantastic veiwing.

I have no idea how a US audience could understand the humour in any of them though?

My wife is from Colombia and she understands the humour in Ideal, Father Ted, Early Doors (with a bit of explanation) and The Royle Family. The accents are tough for her and I'm sure many of the subtleties are lost on her, but overall she gets enough to enjoy them. She never liked Phoenix Nights though.

alan67 said:
Early doors, The Royle family, Father Ted, Pheonix nights and the first few seasons of Shameless are all fantastic veiwing.

I have no idea how a US audience could understand the humour in any of them though?

I've been watching enough British television that I get the humor and now others are starting to "not get" me. haha

I watch Father Ted, I miss watching Are You Being Served (nowhere to watch it), I like Fawlty Towers, and Keeping Up Appearances. I watched the first couple seasons of Shameless, but it' a little too "R rated" for my viewing. Did they ever come out with a second season of Gavin and Stacy?

alan67 said:
Yes... Shameless is a little too 'graphic' for some, and got worse as the series went on!

There has been three series of Gavin and Stacey and another one is being talked about.

Dang, I only got the first season on Netflix, and that was only about 6 episodes.

When I first started watching Shameless I was intrigued, but then it seemed to be turning into a soap opera, maybe like a dirty version of East Enders.

I'm a big fan of British TV also! Our state Public Television shows the BBC Worldnews every night and Britcoms on Saturday night. "Are You Being Served" and "Keeping Up Appearances" is on about every week. "Last of the Summer Wine" is a hoot! "Downton Abbey" is big here as well. We also get the "Vicar of Dibley" and "The Manor Borne". We used to get Monty Python, but they took it off. There are several others they show from time to time. I think the difference between Hollywood comedy and British comedy is that Hollywood uses actors to play characters and the British use real characters for actors.

Latest posts

Back