Penzance Cornwall, UK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
St Michaels Mount is just a ten minutes ride from my house.

DSC01553.jpg

Was there about 6-7 years ago very cool place didn't have time to get over to the island though. We got there towards the end of a long day, at high tide and the taxi/ferry boat had left, off in the distance.

EDIT: found a pic I took
stmm.jpg

My family is from Cornwall. In 1930's my Grandfather imigrated to Michigan. There is still quite a bit of family that live in Troon. I went there to visit a couple years ago and fell in love with that area. We took the train from London down to Cornwall and on the way I saw this really cool Pub sitting on an inlet as we went over a bridge. It had the Union Jack Flag on the front..such a cool place. I want to stop and check it out.

Awesome, gonna have to look into St Michael's Mount...done Cornwall once but I was only 11 and we didn't see this. (Ironically, I've visited Le Mont St Michel which must just about face it from the french side?!) Gorgeous bit of the world.

Lucky bugger

My wife and I are planning a move to Penzance, but it isn't a cheap place to live. BTW my screen name Cledry is short for Nancledra.

Yours truly enjoying Cornwall.

7218424716_054d5b2f92_o.jpg

alan67 said:
''Enjoyin' my Philps'' :D

I dragged that one on the bus from Hayle to St. Just. Had a spare as well, in case I missed the last bus going to Penzance.

alan67 said:
A spare pasty is a must when using the west Cornwall bus service.

I was in St Just today. :D Are you/have you moved to Cornwall and from where?

Not moved yet, selling most of what I own here in the US right now to lighten my burden. I can't see myself dragging a couple of lathes, 4000, record albums, and 2000 books and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Will keep a place here in Florida at first and rent a room or a flat for the first year. I plan to try and move to Penzance. I have family in Penzance, Hayle, St. Ives and Falmouth but personally I prefer Penzance. My family has lived in Zennor, Towednack, Lelant and Ludgvan for at least 600 years and I used to live on top of Nancledra Hill opposite the Carn pottery.

I want to get back to Cornwall in a bad way.

BTW, since you are into cars as well. Do you know who owns this sweet Triumph? I saw it a few times up toward Heamoor. I love the colour combination and the styling of this classic.

7218377302_5e5f00a5ab_o.jpg

7218363834_1f5a5eb9f1_o.jpg

Onewheelsqueel said:
Interesting car, never seen one before. The head light bezels remind me of my Corvair van's head light bezels.

It is a Triumph Vitesse.

They are pretty nimble cars. They have good handling for the era and a pretty nice inline 6, nicely appointed interior with seating for 4. The bonnet flips up with the front wings making engine and suspension access easy.

heck..... 600yrs! you make me feel more of an Emmet that usual!!

I've only been in Penzance/Newlyn for 18 years, as I am a Manc' by birth. I moved down lock stock and barrel with the mrs and rented for a little while before buying a place in Tredavoe village. Good call on Penzance, It's a very special town and I'm proud to call it home.

I don't know who owns the Vitesse, although I often see it outside Longrock post office. It's in great nic and not long out of a rebuild by the looks of it.

I hope things turn out well for you and you make a new life in the place you obviously belong.

al.

ps your Schwinn looks ace!

alan67 said:
h***..... 600yrs! you make me feel more of an Emmet that usual!!

I've only been in Penzance/Newlyn for 18 years, as I am a Manc' by birth. I moved down lock stock and barrel with the mrs and rented for a little while before buying a place in Tredavoe village. Good call on Penzance, It's a very special town and I'm proud to call it home.

I don't know who owns the Vitesse, although I often see it outside Longrock post office. It's in great nic and not long out of a rebuild by the looks of it.

I hope things turn out well for you and you make a new life in the place you obviously belong.

al.

ps your Schwinn looks ace!

Cheers Al. I was actually born up north, not far from Manchester. Do you know Northwich in Cheshire? I'm still a United supporter, since 1967!

I'll get to Penzance come heck or high water as they say.

I grew up in Leigh Park near Portsmouth before we moved to Holland in the seventies.
Gonna move back one day, thats what i keep tellin meself
Me and my Dad cycled from Sheerness to Portsmouth some years ago, that was great.
Gotta watch yourself a bit though the way some people drive .
Riding a bike in Holland is a lot safer with all the bikepaths, but a suicide-ride in English traffic sort of gets the adrenaline flowing more :mrgreen:

I live in the Florida where there are as many unlicensed drivers as there are with licenses. Plus to get a license here it is 5 minutes in a carpark and off you go. Very few people here have any sort of driving ability. Add to that the texting and cell phone usage whilst driving, the lack of street lamps, 90 year olds still driving. By comparison riding in the UK actually feels quite relaxing.

Highroller said:
I grew up in Leigh Park near Portsmouth before we moved to Holland in the seventies.
Gonna move back one day, thats what i keep tellin meself
Me and my Dad cycled from Sheerness to Portsmouth some years ago, that was great.
Gotta watch yourself a bit though the way some people drive .
Riding a bike in Holland is a lot safer with all the bikepaths, but a suicide-ride in English traffic sort of gets the adrenaline flowing more :mrgreen:

cledry said:
I live in the Florida where there are as many unlicensed drivers as there are with licenses. Plus to get a license here it is 5 minutes in a carpark and off you go. Very few people here have any sort of driving ability. Add to that the texting and cell phone usage whilst driving, the lack of street lamps, 90 year olds still driving. By comparison riding in the UK actually feels quite relaxing.

5 min? so much for safe driving..:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back