(ORBO) Dead Metal - Video Montage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, I've got a couple decisions to make.
I have a fork but.... I do like landing gears in chrome.
I have a thumbshifter and a five speed but...
Now you guys got me wanting to do a Bomber and hotrod a coaster.
So???

Carl.

No, my second build, if I have the time, will be a full suspension re-imagined as an uphill racer. Besides, I'm not sure the merits of a better fork or an older hub, call for a different bike.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

c616b8c7a70364ffabe68ab10b03608f.jpg

Much better when the paint drys...
I'm actually hoping to be able to highlight some of the pitting.

Carl.

looks like it is cast into the tube--nice!

No, my second build, if I have the time, will be a full suspension re-imagined as an uphill racer. Besides, I'm not sure the merits of a better fork or an older hub, call for a different bike.

Carl.

Could compromise and do a bomber with a kickback 2spd Coaster. I suspect my bomber is gonna have a low and high gear as well.. then you are at least able to crest the top of that last steep hill.... plus have that single speed race gear.

My 02...

Building... riding...

Could compromise and do a bomber with a kickback 2spd Coaster. I suspect my bomber is gonna have a low and high gear as well.. then you are at least able to crest the top of that last steep hill.... plus have that single speed race gear.

My 02...

Building... riding...
Yeah I'd love to find a hub like that...

Carl.

I love that it Looks so mean! [emoji106]
Yes a different fork could make it even more so.

Building... riding...
It's pretty light too... surprised me, but no crankset yet either.
So different fork, light weight crankset, and Helium in the tires....
Mean, yeah. Dead Metal.
emoji106.png

Carl.

Last edited:
Looking good, some straight tube forks will just finish it off nice!

Luke.
Thanks. But...there's no brake hanger in the rear, it's a fender bracket with the hole the wrong way, so I'm definitely building a coaster hub. Which I don't have yet... with rim brakes just on the front, maybe. It'd stop better but look weird. I do like your heatsink...

Carl. :crazy:

Last edited:
But...there's no brake hanger in the rear, it's a fender bracket with the hole the wrong way,
You can buy the right angle adapters for that... I have heard they are hard to find though.

I do like your heatsink...
Not hard to make, the hardest bit is getting the centre bore exact, my hub seems to measure 38.4mm, which matches every other non vintage hub I have... Could probably do it with a flap sanding disc if you were patient...

You may find you don't need it anyway, if you do the internal modifications, mine is a completely different hub to what it was...

Luke.

You can buy the right angle adapters for that... I have heard they are hard to find though.

Not hard to make, the hardest bit is getting the centre bore exact, my hub seems to measure 38.4mm, which matches every other non vintage hub I have... Could probably do it with a flap sanding disc if you were patient...

You may find you don't need it anyway, if you do the internal modifications, mine is a completely different hub to what it was...

Luke.
Yeah I can't see them right angle bits being able to stand up to some off road braking...
and as far as the sink, I may fab something up, but now I'm leaning towards a Nexus, so is a brake mod even an issue? Right now I'm surfing eBay looking for a fiscally responsible crankset. Landing gear is on the way...

Carl.

So this must be a poorboy's version of a Bomber... nothing high end on it.
I started looking at what I've used so far and noticed a lot of Wald on this one...
the list so far: 945 seat post, 4C stem, and 898 gullwing handlebars cut down to 26" wide. I think I'll continue the trend while sourcing parts. I've got a 4080 headset too, but the fork on the way is 21.1mm so I can't use it...

Carl.

Back