(ORBO) BACK40 by LTJ, design by OJ. (ROLLING! But withdrawing from the build-off.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luke's even trendier...he's building a 26+ bike! :wink1: Like that ride @ECarolinaCruzn , and the dissimilar rear stays prob provide stiffness on the drive line and some relief in the seat stays, assuming they are steel. The plus bikes are cool and that was part of the basis for the design on this build !

Luke's even trendier...he's building a 26+ bike! :wink1: Like that ride @ECarolinaCruzn , and the dissimilar rear stays prob provide stiffness on the drive line and some relief in the seat stays, assuming they are steel. The plus bikes are cool and that was part of the basis for the design on this build !
Actually @Fruttolo pointed out earlier that sizes over 2.7 wide are considered + sized, I fall just short at 2.5"...

Hoping to do some more work on this beast tomorrow!

:banana:

Luke.

Cool, sounds to be cheaper to use the heat shrink tubing rather than the colored spokes! Now to find long lengths, maybe spools of the stuff!

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Tapatalk
exactly what i did the second time , and saved me 1/2 the price and ended with less left over and some spare lenght ...
one thing i never got to try is wrapping the handle bars or the grips to with the big ones ;)
could even wrap the pedal blocks maybe ? :giggle:

A slight pause in this build, we have had some fireban days, I did a frame stretch for another member, and I just had another build requested by my brother in law for his dad, a simple cargo trike, my bro-in-law will be visiting in just over a week and I promised he could paint it (He always wanted to be a spray painter) so will building that before then...

Progress will resume on Back40 soon!

Luke.

22778748637_314007dabf_c.jpg

Been planning this build for a while...

Always loved the idea of those Redline Monocog bikes and Electra MOTO, a sort of rigid frame MTB with disc brakes crossed with a modern BMX single speed:

24092642596_a58533077c_z.jpg

22923743624_de32f55147_z.jpg

Those are cool bikes, but possibly a bit too modern and hip for me, needs a more retro frame and taller Klunker style bars, while I am at it I may as well upgrade the discs to full 203mm front and rear, upgrade the hubs to full heavy duty 48 spoke BMX trick bike, 14mm axle, sealed bearing units, and change the cranks to BMX 3 piece to match, maybe sliding drops on the rear with integrated disc calliper mount...

And that was as far as I got until I started talking to @OddJob, turns out this dude knows his stuff! He mentioned that he would be out of this build-off due to prior commitments and when I mentioned I would be doing 2 builds, he jokingly suggested I name one after him, well, I named it after his new bike shed: BACK40 Bikes!
He helped me refine the bike idea to give it some cool details and make it a much better bike to ride, mainly due to having incredibly short chainstays to help it change direction better and make it a fun "Chuckable" bike.

Here is the build board:

23933015972_9ea2130884_z.jpg

Those chain stays measure out at 14", which is as far as I could go due to the 26x2.5 Kenda Nevegal tires measuring out to 27"!

23552141245_bbb18d3aa1_z.jpg

23184303839_c82f967969_z.jpg

Of course the biggest problem with my plan is that nobody makes 14mm axled 48 spoke hubs with a disc mount... But they do make these:

22809051823_c2f207ceb9_z.jpg

Which means if I use a flip flop BMX hub for the rear and a standard rear on the front, I can do this:

23353660331_88db6a6bda_z.jpg

23068233559_23c6702fc2_z.jpg

Of course that means I will be using the small 'metric' side of the flip flop hub for the freewheel, which means I can drop to a 14 tooth freewheel, allowing me to drop the front to a tiny 30 tooth! Picked up a TuffNeck 30 for the front:

22878926130_73f3b7f8b7.jpg

Other big issue is finding 26" rims with 48 spoke holes! I searched hard for them, and even searched for undrilled ones, but the only ones I found were super expensive, until I looked at an add on eBay for a closing down bike shop, there was one line at the end that said: "We have these tandem rims in 48 spoke too, please enquire" I ended up with 2 tandem weight rated, 48 spoke, double wall, eyeletted rims for peanuts!

22378438338_cce0b3fa66_z.jpg

Not sure yet if I will use one of my bargain Gyes saddles yet on it, but it may happen:

24051636326_086837bf87_z.jpg
24077716125_ace8718a1c_z.jpg

Anyway, that is as far as I have gotten, need to start throwing sparks and spoking rims!

Luke.

I'm really liking your parts collection on this one , this combined with your frame skills ...GLWsss

Finally a build update on Back40!

Started by fully welding the flat bar adapters inside and out and then sanding the weld down on the outside:

24386706710_1b7958fa36_z.jpg

Then I measured up the chainstay length and welded them to some nice bends, measured the required angle and welded that to the top curves. All the joints were sleeved for strength too, this bike is tough!

24682220535_a490c8c2a1_z.jpg

24054047944_4c9f76dab1_z.jpg

Next step was to cut the top curve to length and fit them to the frame, this involved much measuring and checking clearances, the cranks put me off for a bit until I realised that I had a thicker chainwheel in there than before, that is why there is more clearance on the drive side:

24588697661_810fe386b5_z.jpg

Stay to seat tube clearance came out spot on first try! :thumbsup:

24588701721_ab0a42132b_z.jpg

24656015386_6268a0059b_z.jpg

Once that was done I fully welded them, I forgot to get a shot of the weld at the headtube, but I will next time, the two tubes join together over about 2" before welding to the headtube, looks nice! Plus as an added bonus I could add a nice gusset there like an '80's BMX, thinking about a gusset at the bottom bracket to down tube point too...

24055392523_e479b2e870_z.jpg

Here is a mock-up with the rear wheel in place:

24386714470_024a8311cf_z.jpg

Hard to see like that so try this:

24568793642_d92f13d67a_z.jpg

Looking good! :thumbsup:

Those stays are so short, they make the frame look tiny, but it is actually sized to suit me at 6'4", basically an XL, but with the wheelbase of a small... ;)

Can't wait to ride it!

Luke.

:21:

If you had only waited 5 more minutes OJ!

Update below.

Luke.
Finally a build update on Back40!

Started by fully welding the flat bar adapters inside and out and then sanding the weld down on the outside:

View attachment 16543

Then I measured up the chainstay length and welded them to some nice bends, measured the required angle and welded that to the top curves. All the joints were sleeved for strength too, this bike is tough!

View attachment 16549

View attachment 16551

Next step was to cut the top curve to length and fit them to the frame, this involved much measuring and checking clearances, the cranks put me off for a bit until I realised that I had a thicker chainwheel in there than before, that is why there is more clearance on the drive side:

View attachment 16546

Stay to seat tube clearance came out spot on first try! :thumbsup:

View attachment 16547

View attachment 16548

Once that was done I fully welded them, I forgot to get a shot of the weld at the headtube, but I will next time, the two tubes join together over about 2" before welding to the headtube, looks nice! Plus as an added bonus I could add a nice gusset there like an '80's BMX, thinking about a gusset at the bottom bracket to down tube point too...

Here is a mock-up with the rear wheel in place:

View attachment 16544

Hard to see like that so try this:

View attachment 16545

Looking good! :thumbsup:

Those stays are so short, they make the frame look tiny, but it is actually sized to suit me at 6'4", basically an XL, but with the wheelbase of a small... ;)

Can't wait to ride it!

Luke.
Nice to see progress on BACK40. Although with those super short chain stays it maybe should have been called BACK14....:rofl:

Glad to see you could get some welding in between fire days Luke! Man that frame is neat! wheelie machine for sure.
I am loving the way it is coming out too! OJ put me on the right track for sure, so cool! He has given me another idea too for a little further on too, another cool touch you will have to wait to see! :thumbsup:

Nice to see progress on BACK40. Although with those super short chain stays it maybe should have been called BACK14....:rofl:
:21: Nice! 14" Chainstays!

Luke.

Man that looks awesome! How did you do your bends?
Was about to ask the same question :39:
Luke , can you show us your bending method/machine ? here or in a new thread ? plz plz !!! show us the tool(s) of the master :wink1: frame looks sick !:113:

Was about to ask the same question :39:
Luke , can you show us your bending method/machine ? here or in a new thread ? plz plz !!! show us the tool(s) of the master :wink1: frame looks sick !:113:
Go to post #32 and he who reads will get great knowledge... [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem K00E mit Tapatalk

Back