(ORBO) BACK40 by LTJ, design by OJ. (ROLLING! But withdrawing from the build-off.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it looks like a reverse schwinn tornado:41:
:thumbsup: Maybe it should be a Toronado? Surely someone will get that joke?
Look's Great!
That's a cool looking frame Luke!! :113:
Thanks Guys!
Man that looks awesome! How did you do your bends?
Was about to ask the same question :39:
Luke , can you show us your bending method/machine ? here or in a new thread ? plz plz !!! show us the tool(s) of the master :wink1: frame looks sick !:113:
Go to post #32 and he who reads will get great knowledge... [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem K00E mit Tapatalk
@SwissGuy is right, the main bends are covered at post 32:

I basically just lay the tube on some soft grass, stand on the tube and pull up a little on the ends, working my way along the tube then test it against the drawing, anywhere needs more bend just stand there and pull on each end, taking the bend out is easier, so I usually go a little over and work my way back to where it needs to be.

First one done:

View attachment 14869

Second one done:

View attachment 14870

Luke.
All the 7/8" tubing used on Pedro was done the same way:

PC120087.JPG

I am guessing that you are also asking about the tight curves where the dropouts will attach, lets just say I go through a lot of old second hand racer/10 speed drop bars in my builds... ;)

Dropbars.JPG

Luke.

was to hypnotized by the progress pics i guess , i see , i thought Joker had some kind of bender/roller with all these great built under his belt :p i guess ingenuity is the main tool :41:

was to hypnotized by the progress pics i guess , i see , i thought Joker had some kind of bender/roller with all these great built under his belt :p i guess ingenuity is the main tool :41:
I've found that with ingenuity, patience, and leverage you can achieve just about anything:soapbox:

I've found that with ingenuity, patience, and leverage you can achieve just about anything:soapbox:
:thumbsup: One day I will make up some bending dies for the bigger tubing and start doing them too.
Cool read here about hand bending: http://metalgeek.com/archives/2005/05/01/000047.php

Frame looks awesome; it has some really nice lines. Can't wait to see it with som e wheels; i predict it'll have a killer stance to it. Nice job so far...
Really looks killer Luke! You are on a roll.
Thanks Guys! Looking forward to seeing it on the wheels too!

Luke.

Had to get a decent mock up today, was able to get it to just sit on the wheels, they are not in exactly the right spot, but it does give some idea of what it will look like.

Imagine the front lower and further forward as the axle will be clamped to the front of the forks, not under them, and the back will go up a little, the mid bar will end up level:

24674718741_577cecdf43_z.jpg

Chunky!

Here is the promised top tube pic, you can see the final 2" is welded together:

24400653219_1f20a0bb79_z.jpg

Massively out of focus on that shot!

Luke.

Had to get a decent mock up today, was able to get it to just sit on the wheels, they are not in exactly the right spot, but it does give some idea of what it will look like.

Imagine the front lower and further forward as the axle will be clamped to the front of the forks, not under them, and the back will go up a little, the mid bar will end up level:

View attachment 16828

Chunky!

Here is the promised top tube pic, you can see the final 2" is welded together:

View attachment 16830

Massively out of focus on that shot!

Luke.
Luke that front fork looks nice and beefy! Matches the design and the "chunky" (as the good Dr put it) tires well! Mock up looks nice and balanced. I keep trying to imagine the paint options....something to set off the yellow spokes, or complement them? :nerd:

'Massively out of focus' or 'artsy', it's in the eye of the beholder....hahahaha!
Loving this build so far, you're a true talent mate.

PS, nice design Lee!
Cheers!
Thanks DrT!
Luke that front fork looks nice and beefy! Matches the design and the "chunky" (as the good Dr put it) tires well! Mock up looks nice and balanced. I keep trying to imagine the paint options....something to set off the yellow spokes, or complement them? :nerd:
Thanks OJ! Paint will be very plain, really want the design and flow to stand out... ;)

Luke.

I was actually thinking of a Ford colour... 'Brilliant White'
I have used it before on two of my bikes and it always looks awesome.

Luke.
Is that the white on your muscle bike from a MBBO build ago or two? That would be a good one. Show off those chunky black tires!

Well I've missed a few days of this one, it's coming together nicely Luke.
I've learned in the past year on this site, white looks good on bikes. This one will be no exception.

Looks great, expectations are mounting but I doubt it will pose a problem you can't overcome. Short wheelbase and classic lines. Hmm, white paint with two tone and darts for the Klassic Klunker look?

Carl.

Back